Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Nordheim's rule questions

Go down 
+2
MasterSpark
Nordheim
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nordheim
Champion
Champion
Nordheim

Trading Reputation : 0

Nordheim's rule questions Empty
PostSubject: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jul 2015 - 19:28

Hello guys, I've yet to even play my first Mordheim game, So There's a ton of rule questions and such that confuses me.
So instead of spamming new threads all the time, I thought I'd just create a post that I'll continue with the next time I'm confused.
-I'm gonna try to find out the answers alone first, since I wouldn't like to bother you if I'd be able to find it out for myself.
But since there's so many different rules out there it can sometime be a pain to find the "right" answers.
Hope you'll bear with me and help a fellow out.
So here it goes:

1. Sorcery: I've read that you're only able to choose a skill once, So a sorcerer would never be able to learn more than 2 spells from his/her own magic table?

1a: are you allowed to cast more than one spell a turn?

1b: are you allowed to shoot at the same turn you cast/Try to cast magic?

2. Weapons trainer, If you choose a weapon that doesn't belong to your starter item-roster, would you be able to purchase it when you've learned Weapons trainer.

For example: A skaven nightrunner takes 'weaponstrainer: Repeater crossbow', Are you now able to purchase one for the character or do you need to find it? (Perhaps a bad example but that's the weapon i'd like, but if this doesn't work, does a regular xbow or bow work this way?)

3. Brace of pistols: What's the fuzz about the pistols, From what I've seen on youtube it seems everyone wants to equip their leaders with it.
Something about hitting on 2's while charged or something?
I've tried to find it in the rules, but with no success.

I'm sure I'll shoot a ton of more questions your way, but this is just so I know what figures I'm gonna purchase, and how to equip em.

Thank you in advance!

Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jul 2015 - 20:01

Hi Nordheim.

1) A spell isn't counted like a skill, it is chosen instead of a skill. You can keep choosing to roll for new spells as much as you want to.

1a) No. There's a new academic skill in one of the earlier town cryers that allows it if you pass a toughness test, but nothing like it in the original rules.

1b) No, it says so on page 40 of the rule book.

2) When you take the weapons training or weapons expert skill you're able to use all weapons outside of your starting list, you don't pick the skill for a single kind of weapon. You still need to find the weapon if it's rare, like repeater crossbows are.

3) Duelling pistols are the usual suspects when it comes to this. They have a +1 bonus on the to-hit roll, coupled with a captain's WS4 that usually means hitting on a 2+ in close combat, or on 3+ against equally skilled enemies.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need any other help!
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jul 2015 - 22:38

Welcome to the game and the forum.

1a) The Magical Aptitude skill to let you cast two spells with a Toughness test is official and from the Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe article I believe (TC7 and Mordheim Annual 2002).
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Nordheim
Champion
Champion
Nordheim

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2015 - 0:14

You guys are awesome, thanks a bunch, you really helped me out.
And the best part was that all the rules made sense and wasn't discouraging.
Weapons training just became that much more fun.
Just a follow-up question, or well two.
With finding the repeater xbow for example, it's just to roll for it post-game at the trading post, right?

And then yet another follow-up question, how does people usually rule quickshot and repeater xbows?
Internet seemed a bit torned about that ruling.

Once again, thanks alot, really looking forward to some kitbashing!
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2015 - 1:48

Yes, finding the Repeater Crossbow (or any other rare trade) is just rolling for it post game according to the rules. You still have to pay for it, of course Razz.

RAW I would say that Quickshot lets you shoot twice at no penalty so the Fire Twice special rule of the Repeater Crossbow is wasted because they both merely give you the option of shooting twice. Neither says anything about increasing the amount of shots.

That being said, in my group we have house-ruled that Quickshot grants you +1 shot instead of the option to shoot twice. This means that with a Repeater Crossbow you could shoot twice for no penalty or shoot three times for a -1 penalty. We have played like that for many years and not found it unfun for anyone.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2015 - 12:00

Lord 0 wrote:
That being said, in my group we have house-ruled that Quickshot grants you +1 shot instead of the option to shoot twice. This means that with a Repeater Crossbow you could shoot twice for no penalty or shoot three times for a -1 penalty. We have played like that for many years and not found it unfun for anyone.

We have the same rule.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2015 - 15:20

Quote :
But since there's so many different rules out there it can sometime be a pain to find the "right" answers.

There are a number of rules sets out there, so a pertinent question is which one are you using?

Aside from House Rules we try to quote from the Rules Review rules published on the web by GW in 2005. Those rules were an 'official' update of the original rulebook published in 1999.

Most quickshot confusion dates from the 1999 rules, although you will get some diehards who demand 4 shots with their repeater crossbow. They are just wrong. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nordheim
Champion
Champion
Nordheim

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2015 - 22:41

Awesome, thanks alot guys!
The ruling sounds fair, 3 shots are more than 2, I just want a skaven popping like popcorn!
But nice to know that it's a viable option before kitbashing the hell out of a miniature.

@Von Kurst: Well, I havn't started playing yet, just reading through the rulebook from cover to cover.
I think I found the right rules review, I'll be reading through it, i'll try to scrutinize it.
Although 4 shots sounds better than 3... I wouldn't want to be that greedy, haha.

Back to top Go down
Nordheim
Champion
Champion
Nordheim

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeTue 8 Sep 2015 - 0:07

Allright, my Skaven Warband is almost fully converted up, and I havn't had this much fun in ages!
So I've already purchased Some figures and I'm already planning two/three other warbands.
At the moment I'm very excited about Carnival of Chaos, But while reading both the pdf, and some tips/tactics online I stumbled across one thing:

If you team-up someone with Cloud of flies, with another guy, does their opponent have -1 to hit both characters, or just the character with the blessing?

Question 2:
The spell 'Stench of nurgle', The wording of that spell makes me abit confused, is it around the caster or a straight line of 6 inches from the caster, if that's the case, how wide?

Also, I'm really loving the idea of the will-not-die tainted ones, just being an impenetrable wall of foulness. But they are so expensive! So while toying with building a starting warband, I guess this is what I've come up with:

(73)
Master 70 gc
Club

(75)
Brute 60 gc
Greatweapon 15gc

-------

(75)
Brute 60 gc
Greatweapon 15gc

-------

(191)
Tainted one 25gc
Bloated Foulness 40gc
Mark of Nurgle 70gc
Cloud of Flies 50gc
Club 3gc
Club 3gc
-  -   -   -   -

nurgling 15 gc

nurgling 15gc

Brethren 28gc
club

Brethren 28gc
club

Total cost: 500gc

------------------
Perhaps it would be wiser to take away the flies from the tainted one, But I just love the idea of the enemies first trying to see through the swarming flies, and if successfully doing so, cutting into stone.

So with this build I'll have one tank, and two strongmen, who'll be accompanied with a nurgling each.(Especially if the cloud of flies effect applies to them aswell.)
The rest will go where they're needed.
Abit risky to not start out with max amount of heroes, But I'd like to save up to another tank-monster.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, input and advices.
Also- I'm ignoring Nurgles rot, No point in being a dick. Cool
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeTue 8 Sep 2015 - 13:46

Hi Nordheim.

1) Cloud of flies should effect any enemy in base contact, yes. If it would only do something when the mutant was attacked it should have said "attacks made against the tainted one".

2) Stench of Nurgle reaches 6'' around the caster in a bubble around the sorcerer.
Back to top Go down
Nordheim
Champion
Champion
Nordheim

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitimeWed 9 Sep 2015 - 16:55

Sweet!
Thanks alot for the clarifications.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nordheim's rule questions   Nordheim's rule questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nordheim's rule questions
Page 1 of 1