HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

How did YOU get started with Mordheim?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Unwanted
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Mon 21 Jul 2008 - 13:52

I was originally hooked to WHFB, but when the trial-rules started appearing in White Dwarf, I was hooked, and when the game arrived, I dabbled in it for a while. Then I focused on 40K for a few years, then Fantasy Skaven, before returning to the Fold when I'd moved to Iceland and figured I wasn't gonna start a new army, and with all my Skaven stashed with my brother in Denmark, I figured hey, Mordheim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Tue 22 Jul 2008 - 6:00

@Unwanted: WOW, you ACTUALLY live in Iceland! I got to stop over there once when I was working on a commercial fishing boat, AND I was VERY impressed. COOL![no pun intended Suspect ]

Back on subject kind of: Fat, dumb, & happy I wandered into my local hobby shop AND, LO, the Mordheim boxed set called out to moi. IT promised to be a game I could FINALLY convince a couple of my erstwhile friends to play. IT LIED! IT HAS, however, proved to be a great solo game, the source of wonderfully unending modeling/converting/painting projects, AND I've talked it up enough to have spawned two Mordheim groups neither of which will have me as a member [good taste can be SUCH a drag] & landed a VERYBIG commissioned Mordheim board project [completed last year for a decent amount of $s foolishly wasted on food & shelter Suspect ].
Hopefully, with a bit of coercion, brain-washing, & the direct intervention of God, sometime later this year I MAY be able to play IT against a real opponent [YES!!! cheers ].

That's my story & I'm sticking to it. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirLeon
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 17:02

Started with the german WD#31. It was the first Article about Mordheim. The Artwork was nice. First I took a few Bretonian Men-at-Arms as my first Warband...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dienachtderlebendentoten.de.vu
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 7 Aug 2008 - 2:40

DeafNala wrote:

Hopefully, with a bit of coercion, brain-washing, & the direct intervention of God, sometime later this year I MAY be able to play IT against a real opponent [YES!!! cheers ].

So you've never actually gotten to play? I vote we help the poor man out, get sponsors, finance a trip there for all the forumites and do battle on the other side of the pond!
- even with running the risk of utterly ruining the game for Nala here... hehe

Well, I played Fantasy for some time (my brother suckered me into that, shortly after which he quit) Then City's of Death was released and my club got a hang of making scenery tiles for that, Inspired I set out to build tiles like that for Fantasy (known for crazily large projects... - try making 2700 wooden rooftiles out of wood and you'll soon get that name) Shortly after I completed my first segment, a new clubmember noticed it's "Mordheim Potential" Mord...who? was my initial reaction... but when pointed to it... ZHAZAM! I knew this was my kind of game!... Scenery, Random weirdness, evil and more evil... I needed this!

So, 2 and a half years later, my elves still feature in my display cabinet, but have only played one or two battles... await some more painting, and Mordheim is rapidly growing in size and inhabitants Smile

(Luckily for the elven chariots, Mordheim is about to get a chariot racing circus, so they'll get some action soon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 7 Aug 2008 - 5:47

Ezekiel wrote:
DeafNala wrote:

So you've never actually gotten to play? I vote we help the poor man out, get sponsors, finance a trip there for all the forumites and do battle on the other side of the pond!
- even with running the risk of utterly ruining the game for Nala here... hehe

lol!
Actually I've played quite a number of Mordheim games, but SOLO. The game lends itself nicely to this style AND, since I have a habit of talking to myself using different voices [I'm not schitzophrenic & neither am I Suspect ], it's ALMOST like having a live opponent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 7 Aug 2008 - 11:45

Ohk, now I vote we call the whitecoats! Wink

It might work... but I deem most of the fun in the narrative you work out between players, making up the converstions they might have, and acting them out in rather silly ways Smile

Is there absolutely no one who dares risking a game?
- well, that's even more reason to finish this board your working on > WITH the great narrative around that! Smile People are more easily convinced into a game on a good looking board.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 7 Aug 2008 - 12:20

Ezekiel wrote:
Ohk, now I vote we call the whitecoats! Wink

You might want to tell them to bring 2 constraint jackets, cos I remember playing solo games against myself too when I was 14 to teach myself the rules Smile And I enjoyed it.

Ezekiel wrote:
People are more easily convinced into a game on a good looking board.

True. How about all those guys you build boards for Deaf? No chance at all one of them will risk a foot into Freidachtshafen?

Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 7 Aug 2008 - 13:38

Well Solo Gaming really is fun AND they're wrong; playing with yourself DOES NOT cause blindness [it makes you deaf Suspect ].

Mac, who I built ALL the Mordheim boards for, has dropped off the radar. Bummer, since he has quite a lot of my stuff that he was going to eBay for moi.

HOWEVER, if things work out & Old Gaming Buddy John & I wind up sharing a little house, the plans include a rather nice gaming table. As he [John} is a scenery junky, I think my devious old brain woun't be over taxed convincing him to play out my Freidachtshafen game. Especially since I've painted a horde of Dwaves, Amazons, & other War Hammer minis for him. There is light at the end of the tunnel [sounds of on-coming train].
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Wed 20 Aug 2008 - 17:53

I have to agree with DeafNala hear - solo gaming isn't as bad as it sounds! It's quick and easy, you always have an opponent, rules arguments end rather quickly and you don't have to wait for the other person to hurry and make their moves.
That being said, I am isolated at work at the moment, sitting in a little construction donga pretending to do work that just isn't there. My solution? Furthering the adventures of Nikolai Darkmoor!

Anyway, back to the original question. I'm a WFB & 40k player from way back and was intrigued by the original Mordheim trial rules in WD back in the 90's. (Still have those issues somewhere too).
When the game came out I snatched it up. It had everything - evocative scenery, great story telling potential, brilliant models and most importantly it was relatively cost effective.
I have only recently come back to it because 40k is starting to lose it's shine for me (don't want to buy the new rules and have no interest in it really - I only started playing because that's what most of the rest of the group went to). Fantasy takes too long at the moment for the time I have available (heh, practically nill. 4 Year Old, 11 hour work days and travelling every weekend means my models get no loving). And I have no-one to play D&D with (and I've beaten Baldur's Gate, BG2, Icewind Dale, ID II, NWN + expansions that many times that I have just about exhausted all possibilities) and mordheim has the perfect blend of roleplaying, storytelling and miniature gaming. That and I like planning warbands, scenery and whatnot - not that I ever actually get to build much of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Wed 20 Aug 2008 - 23:24

I got started aout 6 years ago when a friend introduced me to warhammer. But soon I went off to boarding school and never saw him (nor any player of any GW games) again... When browsing the GW site I discovered Mordheim, bought the box and were immediately hooked. The best thing for me was that I was able to set up a number of warbands (by far not wealthy enough to set up a few WHFB armies), thus enabling me to force anyone who visits me to a game of Mordheim. Worked well so far and I even got a friend into the game. Unfortunately, he does live in another town so I don't see him too often, and he doesn't have enough money to start a warband on his own (with all the extra cost for paints etc...). But hopefully we will get to play some time or other in the future..
Nowadays, I'm basically browsing the web for cool Mordheim stuff (I believe I found everything now) and write some rules (even though I'm not able to playtest them...), trying to figure out a way to discover if there are any Mordheim (or at least WHFB) players in my exciting town... don't know how, though..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Wed 20 Aug 2008 - 23:39

I will chime in and say, all these last posts were very entertaining... To bad that thing called space (and distance) always has to get in the way... why does it take so long (and $) to travel?

$10 to the First person to invent a teleportation machine that works. of course it does have to be spelled right... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 21 Aug 2008 - 0:53

I've heard of some people (if I remember correctly it was Ram Rock Ed First over at SG forums) have played Mordheim via MSN. I wonder how they did that, though. And I wonder whether it's still fun...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Thu 21 Aug 2008 - 3:42

maybe they have waaaay to many new emoticons? so they can battle! haha... but yeah, I think most of the fun is to actually play on the board together, come up with fluff together as you go, and then... laugh maniacally when the opponent loses a model... even if it's a mere dog or goblin... Razz - or cry.. that happens too... a lot... my poor little dogs...
Back to top Go down
Burlok Blackaxe
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Tue 28 Oct 2008 - 2:39

my first white dwarf was the issue featuring mordheim back in 1999, I didn't end up getting the game at that time, nor did I end up getting the actual box, I downloaded the rules when I discovered the mordheim section on the SG website back in 2003.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did YOU get started with Mordheim?   Today at 4:52

Back to top Go down

How did YOU get started with Mordheim?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2