Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A thread for the collection of finished miniatures

Go down 
+3
Eliazar
DeafNala
cianty
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Empty
PostSubject: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 12:59

Well i couldn't think of a better title, but I guess this will do. What I propose is that instead of having very old threads in the miniatures catagory (finished works) we make a thread which is stickied and possibly locked (for lots of spam prevention).

We lock all threads which have been completed and post ONE picture of the models chosen by the painter/modeller of the models. The picture is provided with a name of the collection (IE Pirate Warband of St Tomisawsomestein), the name of painter/modeller (IE Chuck_Norris331) and a link to the thread where the models are.

This system will mean that people who are working on projects and want C&C from everyone doesnt have to compete with all ready finished works. It also doubles as a place to showcase all the finished works that the Boring Mordheimers have to show and would be an awesome link to provide people intrested in the forums Very Happy

Feel free to post your changes/suggestions to make this system work or if you dont like it.

Cheers from your fellow boring mordheimer,

Tom
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 13:20

First off, I do like the core idea a lot. Here are some thoughts (I'm not really making suggestions, I'm just pondering...)

- There could be a sticky thread in the miniatures gallery called "Hall of Fame". This thread includes Warband name, creator and sample pic of noteworthy warbands.

- Another stickied thread could be the Golden Tom #1. Having them both in there might be nice. I don't know what Tom has planned ecatly for GT so we'll have to wait what he thinks about this. Also, GT result should probably be in the Gallery forum directly (and not in the subcategories of Minatures or Scenery) because another GT might be about making a piece of scenery and in that case we'd have GT1 in the miniatures forum and GT2 in the scenery forum. That'd be not cool.

- There are so many threads in the gallery section that a Hall of Fame thread would be really long. Mods and Admin might have to hand-pick threads, which I am not sure is a good idea.

- To prevent spamming posting in the Hall of Fame thread should be forbidden. The thread serves as a sort of index and only references to the warbands should be included there. The Admin and Mods would take care that the thread remains up-to-date.

- maybe it would be cool to use some general categories in the HoF, like "Mercenary Warbands", "Orcs & Goblin Warbands", "Chaos Warbands", "Dwarf Warbands", "Other" (I'm thinking of Halflings, Battle Monks and other exotic warbands here) to keep things structured.

I wonder what others think about this idea.

Lastly, closing/locking the original threads is a no no. I don't think any project is ever 100% finsihed so if the creator wants to add something he/she should be able to do so. More importantly, people should be able to post their praises in those threads! So I am strictly against closing any seemingly finsihed projects (unless the creator explicitly asks for it).
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 13:27

FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION IT!eeexcellent!

Having dragged one of my VERY talented friend cianty\'s threads kicking AND screaming back to the TOP TEN LAND at the head of the list, he suggested I post a thingy in the Opion Box about those GLORIOUS minis lurking in the Dusty Corridors of Obscurity. AND LO, as if by magic you have come up with THE VERY SAME [or similar] idea [pretty SPOOKY I\'d say Suspect ].

My thoughts, or what passes for thoughts Suspect , IS that with extensive collections of EXTREMELY COOL stuff like cianty\'s Eastern Themed minis, WarBoss Kurgans Orc Pirates, Hellspawn\'s Extensive Collection, etc. which have been buried in the aforementioned Dusty Corridors, they should be posted as Stickys thereby putting them a the VERY beginning of the Gallery for those NEW to the Forum to draw inspiration from. AS this entails SOME effort of probably HERCULEAN proportion that I with my TOTAL I.T. Ignorance am incapable of doing an off hand rejection WILL NOT be taken in the WRONG way [@@*!!! SO & SOs Suspect ].

Addendum: HE of LIGHTNING FAST REFLEXES has beaten me to the punch [again Suspect ]!

Last edited by DeafNala on Tue 7 Oct 2008 - 13:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 13:28

I really like the whole idea and think cianty's suggestion of having seperate headlines where all the warbands of one type are collected is really useful, as it would certainly make finding minis a lot easier. Further, you could also go for spoilers to have a better overview of the whole thing.

And I would vote for leaving the topics open for comments/additions/questions/and praise.

EDIT: And I'd rather go for a thread collecting all the warbands with a pic rather than sticky the best warbands... there are so many great ones out there that the first page of the gallerywould be rather crowded with stickies and thus annihilating the effect originally desired.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 14:02

I have about 1min to say what I need to but cant say it all. Closing the original thread is so they dont keep bumpin up and clashing with the new stuff.

Maybe a whole new section of the modeliing section is needed

add more later.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 14:07

I don't think we need another section..?

Stickying would probably be unfair as those artists who don't get their warbands stickied would probably feel their efforts are not acknowledged. I know I wouldn't want to have to decide which warbands deserve a sticky and which don't.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 14:41

I don't think we need another section, either. And for the bumping, I suppose it will be kept low when there is a thread referring to all the warbands so DeafNala needs not draw attention to them any longer Wink
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 14:44

What IS the problem with bumping old threads anyway?

But, if there is an index that draws attention to older warbands, then they are more likely to be bumped - by comments of new users who just found them. Anyways, nothing wrong with a good bump now and then.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 15:15

WELL, the PROBLEM, I believe, is that threads DO become lost: i.e., pushed so far to the back of the more recent posts that they all but cease to exist, AND even guys like moi who enjoy visiting my "old friends" have difficulty in finding them. I can imagine that finding ALL these WONDERFUL minis &, to a lesser degree, scenery without prior knowledge of their existence is virtually impossible for a new Forumite unless they have unlimited time to trawl through the 60 plus threads in the Galllery, a TRULY daunting prospect.
This ALSO is rather a poor way to let those guys, like cianty, WarBoss Kurgan & other prolific posters of FINE work, our appreciation for their efforts. Under a Hall of Heroes style Sticky along with things like the Golden Toms a collection of the works of our MORE PROLIFIC & TALENTED posters might not ONLY showcase their efforts, but encourage us all to strive for inclusion within their ESTEEMED ranks.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 16:04

I agree wholeheartedly, Al! I was - no, am - just wondering what the problem is with old posts getting new comments, because mrbretonnia seems to not like that. He even suggests locking those threads.
Back to top Go down
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord
Tortiou

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 16:49

I remember when this forum started, when we were like 3 or 4 people writing 1 post per day... we were all a little bit concerned about the very few number of pics...
...and NOW there's this thread about how to manage sooooo many pictures!

Sorry, this is totally out of topic but it made me smile cyclops
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 17:03

I think this has become the best Mordheim forum on the web. With the coolest community, the greatest content, and lots of awesomesauce all over it in general. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 18:54

cianty wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly, Al! I was - no, am - just wondering what the problem is with old posts getting new comments, because mrbretonnia seems to not like that. He even suggests locking those threads.

I LOVE it when we're in agreement [shows I CAN'T be wrong ALL the time...kind of Suspect ].
If you haven't seen the OLD posts before they ARE NEW to you. As such it's cool if you can leave a comment or compliment to show your appreciation of the EFFORT involved in creating the pieces displayed AND the THOUGHTFULNESS in sharing them. A KIND word is ALWAYS in fashion.

@Tortiou: Don't you JUST LOVE trips down Memory Lane?Suspect thumbsup
Back to top Go down
matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 21:31

I personnally like the idea of an index, though i don't like the idea of closing older topics, since they weren't bad at all! (it's true, i've seen them all Shocked )
if someone feels to bump an old topic, the topic properbly deserves more attention, and if it's a useless bump, the mods/admins will properbly delete it, so i feel pretty sure that won't be a very big problem Smile

@ GT post: I think it'd be cool if we have a whole subforum on the front page 'Golden Toms' with all golden toms we ever had and will have Smile

Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 23:03

matt wrote:

if someone feels to bump an old topic, the topic properbly deserves more attention, and if it's a useless bump, the mods/admins will properbly delete it, so i feel pretty sure that won't be a very big problem Smile

Agreed.

matt wrote:
@ GT post: I think it'd be cool if we have a whole subforum on the front page 'Golden Toms' with all golden toms we ever had and will have Smile

I'm not sure. I don't think there will be so many GT contests soon. Maybe one every three or four months. This means that a special GT forum would be pretty empty with so few threads.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 23:22

As deaf said the problem with new posts in old threads just cloggs up all the nice and new stuff, hence an index thread would be helpful. with this many awesome pictures its always going to be a problem with clogging issues.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 23:23

A "Hall of Fame" index of links (with a single example photo from each maybe?) seems like the best idea to me.

I agree that it should be locked and Admin/Mod updated.

I don't think the listed threads should be locked (there's always a chance the OP will want to return to it to update their progress after many months away from a project - I know I do it!).

But there should be a general rule for the whole forum of "no posting in a thread over two months old" (or some other suitable length of time). Offending posts should just be deleted to allow the thread to sink back down.

Great idea overall though! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 23:40

Ok so after drafting the proposal, how does this look;

Quote :
A new thread shall be made titled "Hall of Fame"

This thread shall be locked and updated by a moderator (probaly only one given the job so it doesnt get all over the place).

In this thread (The hall of fame), a single picture of every finished warband shall be posted along with a name of the poster and an embedded link entered in the warband name which leads to the original post.

A new rule should be added. Unless posted in by the original thread creator with additions to the warband (IE not "thanks for the comments guys") You should not post in a thread that is older then a month (Or another cut off determined by the brass)

Ok any additions or problems with this before It is proposed to Admin Tom?

On another topic, I think we should have a place where the GT's are shown. possibly name the warband thread "Finished Works" and the GT's "Hall of Fame" or "Golden Tom"
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 7 Oct 2008 - 23:52

On the Hall of Fame in general... do you propose to show all warbands (at least those who got some more development than the initial post (if there are such...) or just the best looking ones (as Hall of Fame suggests)?

I'd rather go for the first variant.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct 2008 - 9:55

Every warband should be showed as it is a compilation of all models posted. Perhaps another name; the Mrbretonnia memorial thread, thread de breton, finished warbands thread.

any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct 2008 - 10:00

"A Comprehensible Guide to the Gallery"
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct 2008 - 11:14

mrbretonnia wrote:

A new rule should be added. Unless posted in by the original thread creator with additions to the warband (IE not "thanks for the comments guys") You should not post in a thread that is older then a month (Or another cut off determined by the brass)

I still fail to see the purpose of this other than great albeit older threads being prevented from getting additional praise, which they probably deserve.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct 2008 - 11:28

cianty wrote:
mrbretonnia wrote:

I still fail to see the purpose of this other than great albeit older threads being prevented from getting additional praise, which they probably deserve.

AMEN!thumbsup

THE point of ALL this IS to stop having our older threads buried/hidden behind the newer works so the those new to the Forum can enjoy some TRULY GREAT work, AND offer their comments & compliments.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct 2008 - 11:50

DeafNala wrote:
THE point of ALL this IS to stop having our older threads buried/hidden behind the newer works so the those new to the Forum can enjoy some TRULY GREAT work, AND offer their comments & compliments.

Amen! thumbsup Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct 2008 - 12:06

While I do agree older warbands do deserve praise. The amount of praising going on is so great it is stealing the attention from newer warbands. It will either require a new thread possibly called "Works in Progress!!!!!!!111one Shift+3" and leave the miniature thread for finished works, as it is ment to be if you read the gallery description.

In hindsight this is probaly the best idea as it means all WIP (works in progress) will have the enviroment to be commented on and given idea's. Whilst the finished warbands can be oogled over in all their finished glory.

I honestly think a new branch for works in progress and leave the one that we have now for finished works we would be alot better off.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the collection of finished miniatures   A thread for the collection of finished miniatures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A thread for the collection of finished miniatures
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next