Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Finn
Warrior
Warrior
Finn

Trading Reputation : 0

dwarf - Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer   dwarf - Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015 - 11:51

Morning all,

I was sifting through various old files on the pc yesterday and came across a pdf called 'Swords of the Empire', which is a compilation of hired swords. On this there is a dwarf rune-smith, which got me thinking that he would make a better (more 'dwarfy') hero choice for the Dwarf Treasure Hunter Warband, than the engineer.

I have always found the Engineer a bit out of place, why would he go to the city? I could understand if Mordheim had a history as a industrial centre, with great workshops or deep mines. Or if the game was set Nuln where he could look at the inferior human cannons but I can't see why he would go to Mordhiem.

A rune-smith on the other hand makes more sense. As a dwarf noble going to a place bursting with chaos magic filled rocks, an expert in trapping said magic would be just who you need.  

So... I would like your thoughts/ideas/objections to using the Rune Smith instead of the Engineer. The rules I would use are below;

0-1 Dwarf Runesmith: 50 gc to hire

Profile M Ws Bs S T W I A Ld
..........3   4   3  3 4 1 2 1  9

The Rune-smith may take weapons & armour chosen from the dwarf warrior equipment list.

The Runesmith may choose from Combat, Academic and Special skills. He may alternatively learn a new rune instead of choosing a skill.

The smith starts off knowing one rune, runes are inscribed before the battle starts.
Runes may be inscribed on axes, hammers, swords, spears, halberds, double-handed weapons, helmets, shields, light armour and heavy armour.

The Runes are:

Rune      Effect               Cast On         Difficulty
Iron        6+ ward save       Armour             6
Stone     +1 armour save    Armour             6
Fury       +1 Attack             Weapon            7
Striking  +1 Weapon Skill    Weapon            6
Speed    +1 Initiative          Weapon            5
Cleaving +1 Strength          Weapon            8

Before the battle the Runesmith may attempt to inscribe every Rune he knows, but once only. No Rune may be inscribed on an item with a Rune already on it. If he passes the difficulty roll made on 2D6 he has succeeded and the Rune will affect the weapon/armour for the coming battle.

On a roll of 2 the process has highlighted shoddy (hence non-Dwarf) manufacturing and the item being inscribed on is broken. Remove the item from your warband roster. When inscribing a gromril item (including dwarf axes) re-roll a result of 2 but the second roll always stands.

On a roll of 12 the Rune is durable and will last beyond one battle else it fades after the game.

Durable: If a Rune becomes durable roll a D6 after each battle, but not the first, on a roll of 1 or 2 it fades and ceases to be effective, otherwise it will remain effective in the next battle.

So thoughts please?

[Nb: I pretty much stole the above rules off the pdf, no author though so credit belongs to anon].
Back to top Go down
Neidhart
Warrior
Warrior
Neidhart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer   dwarf - Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2015 - 13:14

The dwarf runesmith can be found in the nemesis crown setting. He is either the leader of the dwarf rangers, an alternative warband. Or comes as a mercenary for 30gc hire and 15gc upkeep (cost en par witch the witch and warlock).

I like the idea of having this guy instead of the engineer, it offers great storytelling. To me, both the engineer and the runesmith are young dwarfs who want to test their abilities. The engineer wants to see his weapons perform under combat conditions and the runesmith learns about magic of others. Plus, when you finished a short campaign with the runesmith you can have him as a leader of a dwarves ranger warband.
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer   dwarf - Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer Icon_minitimeSun 29 Mar 2015 - 10:45

I really can embrace you to try the dwarf rangers list from nemesis crown ( although for me the name is not fitting 100%). It is very well balanced.

The original dwarf warband I also like because the engineer is just a hero who follows and uprising noble to earn some fame and to find some wyrd stone ( which can maybe used to improve weapons?).

Dwarfs are fun to play with. They are tough and stubborn but also very slow in wyrd stone hunt scenarios.

Another dwarf warband I love is from the Sartosa setting, the slayer pirates created by styrofoam king:

https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/sartosa

I alos want to motivate to go forward with you idea to plainly exchange the engineer with the runesmith. I personally think that the ruen smith is weaker, so that there should no issues with balancing.
I hope you group is open to your ideas.
Back to top Go down
Finn
Warrior
Warrior
Finn

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer   dwarf - Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer Icon_minitimeSun 29 Mar 2015 - 21:09

Cheers for the posts.

I've been getting mixed responses from the folk I fight. As there is no change in stats no one has a problem with the characteristics. Most are happy enough to see the over shooty dwarfs loosing the extra range from the engineer.

I'll keep trying to play him for now and report back on any decisions.

F.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer   dwarf - Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Runesmith vs Engineer
Page 1 of 1