Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Let's make a new warband

Go down 
4 posters

Whic warband shall I build and paint
Black Orcs
warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_lcap22%warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Bretons
warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_lcap11%warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Horned Hunters
warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_lcap33%warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Imperial Outriders
warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_lcap33%warband - Let's make a new warband Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Neidhart
Warrior
Warrior
Neidhart

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

warband - Let's make a new warband Empty
PostSubject: Let's make a new warband   warband - Let's make a new warband Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2015 - 15:43

Hi, I'm planing on building a new warband for the Nemesis Crown setting (which is great btw). Yet I can't decide on which warband to take. Maybe you can help me process this topic to the Gallery Wink
Help to find the right choice is greatly welcome (do you say so, sounds weird to me, a foreign speaker).

In my last campaign I played Norse and quite liked the glass canon style of this warband. I got a lot of high strength guys an some affordable rabble to stop the enemy and then charge in. Before I played Marienburger with a lot of black powder weapons and a coordinated advance style (group one shoots, group two advances, than change) this style of play suited me even more but was very prone to failure if you rolled bad for two rounds (but it helped, that in my gaming group black powder is S5 Wink so still could be successful in the third round). Ages ago I played Reikländer but didn't like the style where you divide into a shooting gang and a close combat gang (or worse only guards for the missile men).

I boiled the interesting warbands down to 4. Setting will be the great forest of the empire.

Black Orcs. Orcs, strong Orcs, whats not to like. I got some great Confrontation Behemoth Orcs Models for them I have been looking to paint into for ages. On paper they seem a bit strong, like a warband only consisting of cherry picked brutal death machines. I don't mind wining but if you go into a game knowing the result makes things a bit dull. And wining an unfair fight makes me even feel uncomfortable.
Bretons. I love look of those 13th cent. knights and got some great miniatures from wargames foundry/old citadel for them. But they seem a bit weak. So same as above but a chance now and then would be nice (if there are descent ideas how to make this gang work it will definitely be Bretons. Just painting them all black and saying, tis but a scratch, is no option as i got great white undercoat Wink ).
Horned Hunters. I like barbarians and have quite some germanic and celtic warriors I could use to make a descent looking warband. But I guess I would tend to put my glory seeking drunks on a silver plate by sloppy placing. This warband also seems to have some very nasty surprises (traps, additional dogs) so some players may think they are unbalanced if played properly.
Imperial Outriders. These guys are great mounted scouts hunting down bandits and rabble in the great forest of the empire makes for great storys. Perrys just released a great box of light mounted riders for the late 15th cent. Perfect one would think. But I then again I tend to make mistakes and commit to a charge too early. And the designers note says if you do so, maybe Outriders aren't your thing.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Let's make a new warband   warband - Let's make a new warband Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2015 - 18:54

I'd like to vote for the gunnery school of Nuln, but they're not on your list. I've had so many fun ideas for that warband. With all their different functioning blackpowder weapons it feels like a sort of X-COM (an old strategy game) take on Mordheim.

Anyway. Smile

I think outriders is going to provide you with the most different playing experience compared to your older warbands. Black orcs also, being more robust than the norse. Since it sounds like you're after something new that's what I'd pick, as long as you can find some cool miniatures and a nice theme.

Edit: And you'll learn how to play a different warband pretty quickly, as long as you take the time to think things through. Coming up with solutions for new situations is one of the funniest things about the game, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
davinewrath
Champion
Champion
davinewrath

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Let's make a new warband   warband - Let's make a new warband Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2015 - 21:49

My experience playing against the Gunnery School wasn't much fun, but not to be distracted...

I can't comment on the Nemesis Crown setting, having not played it, but in my group we've had a few of the warband lists played in 'standard' Mordheim games.  Outriders are one of those warbands I'd really like to try out, because they seem so different to all the others, but I've not had the chance yet.  I imagine they'd be a bit like the Bretonnians, where just one bad/unlucky game or even dice roll can seriously weaken your warband and set you back quite far, so if you don't think you'd enjoy the careful playstyle required for them, I'd avoid them.  

Horned Hunters are cool - I like the idea of stealthy hunters sneaking through the woods laying traps and setting up ambushes.  Black Orcs can also be quite fun - your heroes are nasty, but your henchmen are unpredicatable as ever, and the Nuttaz will either be devastating or a complete liability depending on how your opponent handles them (you could not take them and/or the troll, and just have an extremely tough warband, but where's the fun in that? Razz ).
Back to top Go down
Neidhart
Warrior
Warrior
Neidhart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Let's make a new warband   warband - Let's make a new warband Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2015 - 10:51

Hey, thank you.
Gunnery School seems fun with all those pigeon bombs and exploding stuff but I bet there will be enough players willing to play them and if possible there should be lots of different warbands.

I had an other look at the Outriders, there are great modeling possibilities. I guess, this is the warband you have to paint by far the most models for (12 max, both mounted and dismounted, at least one starting option and on with better equipment ~50 including mercenaries and 25 horses).

Horned Hunters could be great, I lack a bit of warhammer knowledge about Taal. So I thought about giving the warband a savage medieval Diana/Artemis worshippers feel (ignoring Ginzburgs justified disapprove of such things). Using those more fantastic germanic and celtic miniatures clad in fur (if you are lucky) or just confidence. This would require me to learn painting tattoos.

If it would be Black Orcs Nuttaz and Troll are a must have, no doubt.

The Nemesis Crown Setting has plenty of woodland and about 2/3 scenarios take place in the wild. The others are a bar fight and the exploration of tunnels or a mystic wood you can't enter.
For this I will need to discover some technique to build natural looking multi level trees, as multi level was the thing the last campaign lacked.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Let's make a new warband   warband - Let's make a new warband Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2015 - 22:54

Haven't played or seen played most of those bands... but I have had experience with the Bretonnians. The warband originally published by GW is under-strength (not horribly so, though). There are two or three alternative sets of rules for the Brets around here.

From a modelling point of view, the orcs and the Outriders seem most fun to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's make a new warband   warband - Let's make a new warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's make a new warband
Page 1 of 1