Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Glowing Wyrdstone Counters

Go down 
+3
Von Kurst
DeafNala
Rorschenck
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rorschenck
Hero
Hero
Rorschenck

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Empty
PostSubject: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeSun 1 Mar 2015 - 22:49

In this tutorial I will lay out step by step instructions for building glowing Wyrdstone counters. The counters use only a few simple items and I designed mine so that no switch or soldering is required.  The battery just presses into place and can be removed so the LED is not constantly on.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010211
(LED on with desk lamp in background with Camera Flash)
Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010229
(LED on - no lamp - No Camera Flash)

What you need:

25mm round bases

3mm Green LEDs (the ones I used are prewired with a resistor - the resistor is important when used with the 3 volt battery - 10 for a few bucks on eBay)

Small 3 Volt watch batteries (I used CR927 3V - these are small enough to fit under the bases without protuding - it's very important to get 3 volt batteries as the green LED requires it - 10 for a few bucks on eBay)

Green transparent crystals ( I used Green Esper Crystals by Secret Weapon - available on the Secret Weapon website and a few other retailers)

Green Stuff or a comparable sculpting putty

Chapstick (used to keep the green stuff from sticking)

Wire Strippers

Basic hobby tools ( hobby knife - superglue - basing materials - some thin paper card)

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010210

Step 1:
Flip the base over and place the battery inside the base.  Mark a dot 2 to 3 mm away from the battery as close to the center of the base as you can.  This will be where the LED will go.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010222

Step 2:
Using your hobby knife make a hole just big enough for the LED to fit through.  Ideally you want the LED to fit through the hole without going all the way through.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010212

Step 3:
Cut out a hole for the battery as far to the edge of the base as possible.  This hole you want slightly larger than the battery.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010213

Step 4:
Cut out and glue a piece of thin card on top of the base to cover the two holes.  You could use thin plasticard as well.  I just used a piece of the battery packaging as it's what I had handy.  Then cut out the hole where the LED will stick through.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010214

Step 5:
Test your LED.  Just hold the red positive wire to the top of the battery and the black negative wire to the bottom.  (This is very important as you don't want to do all this work to have a dead LED at the end!!!)  Cut the wires of the LED so that there are about 2 inches of wire remaining.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010230

Step 6:
Strip about 1 inch of the wire sheath to expose the copper strands underneath.  Twist the positive strands together and twist the negative strands together.  DO NOT twist the positive and negative wires together.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010215

Step 7:  
Bend the wires of the LED to a 90 degree angle.  Push the LED through the small hole and bend the wires back and around the base so they are facing the battery hole.  Glue the wires and LED in place.  DO NOT glue the exposed strands.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010216

Step 8:
Take a small blob of green stuff and push it into the battery hole and smooth it out so its about even with the top of the base.  Then fold over the negative (black) strands of the wire and make a loop out of it.  Push it into the wet green stuff.  Make sure that the wire is exposed and not covered by any putty.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010217

Step 9:
Create a small sausage of green stuff and wrap it around the battery hole.  Apply a small layer of Chapstick to the battery and place it in the hole with the negative side down.  Form the putty around the battery.  Make sure none of the green stuff is above the bottom rim of the base so it will lay flat when you flip it over.  Pop out the battery and add a small indent near the positive wire.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010218

Step 10:
Create a cavity inside the crystal for the LED to fit in.  The Crystals plastic is pretty soft so just twisting your hobby knife into it should work fine.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010219

Step 11:
Put the crystal on the LED and cover the base with white glue.  Add sand or flock or whatever you're using for basing material.  Ideally you want the sand all around the crystal but not under it.  This will create the slight impression of the crystal being semi submerged under the ground.  I don't glue my crystal in place yet because it's easier to paint the base without getting paint on the crystal if it can be removed.  Make sure to wait until the glue is COMPLETELY dry before trying to remove the crystal.  You don't want any of the sand shifing and messing up the footprint of the crystal.  If you're careful about painting you could glue the crystal in place before you add sand.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010220

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010221

Step 12:
Once the ring of green stuff is dry fold over the positive wire strand and place it around the perimeter of the battery cavity. We want the positive wire to touch the side of the battery when it's placed inside.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010223

Step 13:
Paint up your base and decorate it with your materials of choice.  My example is just some sand and tan static grass.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010224

Step 14:
Once the paint is dry flip the base over and push your battery into the cavity. Negative side down.  Make sure the positive wire is running along the perimeter of the cavity and side of the battery.  The green stuff cavity you formed and the wire should hold the battery in place.  The LED should now be on and the crystal should have a nice glow.

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010225

Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010226
(LED on with desk lamp in background with Camera Flash)
Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters P1010228
(LED on - no lamp - No Camera Flash)

Step 15:
Make a bunch more then game on!

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial! I look forward to your feedback and if you have any questions feel free to send me a message or post it below.  I will do my best to answer them.  Thanks and good luck on building your own counters.

Last edited by Rorschenck on Wed 22 Jun 2016 - 14:36; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeSun 1 Mar 2015 - 22:59

Thanks for the step by step. It really is a cinematic effect.Other possible uses stagger the imagination. GREAT IDEA!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeMon 2 Mar 2015 - 2:54

Nicely done and looks terrific thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
teninchman
Warrior
Warrior
teninchman

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeMon 2 Mar 2015 - 19:46

Excellent Tutorial. Really nice work
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeMon 2 Mar 2015 - 21:29

Wow, that a very well written tutorial.

The effect is cool, and as Deaf said the sky's the limit!
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
Denzak
Hero
Hero
Denzak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2015 - 14:16

Holy crap. This gives me an idea. Put LED lights in lamp posts, in buildings, around the tabletop and have wyrdstone glowing everywhere and dim the lights in the room. Would make for a very thematic tabletop... Don't think I'll get around to doing that anytime soon, but this glowing wyrdstone is really cool!
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2016 - 11:26

cheers

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glowing Wyrdstone Counters   Wyrdstone - Glowing Wyrdstone Counters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glowing Wyrdstone Counters
Page 1 of 1