Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Mordheim D12?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lindmarrrrrr

Lindmarrrrrr

Trading Reputation : 0

mordheim - Mordheim D12? Empty
PostSubject: Mordheim D12?   mordheim - Mordheim D12? Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb 2015 - 20:07

I have played Mordheim quite a bit and always felt that many things needed a middle ground since going from a 4+ to a 3+ or 5+ on rolls massively changed your chance of rolling what you want. Originally I thought changing Mordheim to a D100 would be great but that seemed too confusing for many casual players in my group so I suggest a D12.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TpREad1aYFOmYVXztMKepKWb_TCMIgwdL3fWPwwQ-ls/edit?usp=sharing

That is what I have gotten started so far, it just addresses main rules and current houserules played with. I think warbands can all be easily converted.

Anyone else play with alternate dice or everyone just stick with D6?
Any ideas to add to this?

For background I mainly did this because the complaints I often hear are about armor saves, armor save reduction, parry rules, and weapon skill relating to parry and to hit.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim D12?   mordheim - Mordheim D12? Icon_minitimeThu 12 Feb 2015 - 21:14

While I don't think that, if seen in a vacuum, this is a bad idea, I think in the context of Mordheim its not a great one. I've always thought that one of the biggest selling points for Mordheim, when trying to recruit new players, is that if they already play WHFB or 40k then they already have the basics of Mordheim down, and introducing a different dice system sets up another roadblock.

I think if the existing members of your group agree to this, thats great and you should definitely give it a go, but I also think you'll have a harder time getting new people on board.

Also, and i'm sorry this is off topic, but I just had a look through of your Asur list on that other thread, and there were some things I liked a lot in it. Frail but Fey is a nice rule, though I'm not sure it 100% follows fluff, doesn't Teclis have toughness 2? However, the big thing that caught my either though was how obscennnnnnnely undercosted all the heroes were. 70gc for the leader? With 4 stat improvements over a mercenary captain and a built in additional special rule, on top of the other beneficial rules Elves have? By my count, he would have clocked in more around 90gc. Not even to mention how powerful some of those "style" options are. Say he starts with way of the swooping eagle, then straight out of the gate he's attacking with str 5, -3 to opponent armor saves (essentially negating ANY armor combination in the game short of gromil and a shield or a horse being involved), and he'll almost always be attacking first thanks to his high initiative and charge range. Or the way of the willow branch, effectively always giving him double the WS of his opponent. These are very, very, very strong rules that by my estimation should take him well beyond only costing 10gc more than a Captain. Not to mention that he's just one of 4 warband members capable of doing these things. Honestly, I wouldn't play against this warband as is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily knocking it or saying its terrible or anything, since apparently its the consensus your group came to, but I'd be interested in how you figured their costs?
Back to top Go down
Lindmarrrrrr

Lindmarrrrrr

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim D12?   mordheim - Mordheim D12? Icon_minitimeThu 12 Feb 2015 - 23:31

Shields are house ruled to be stronger (+2 save) and armor reduction from strength is reduced (-1 at 5 S) in my group... don't ask me why I wasn't the decision maker there. I think the warband was made comparing it to the most played warband in the group skaven, old version of shadow warriors, and there is a house dark elf warband that someone found on the internet that gets used. The Shadow Master in the old version has a better stat line for the 70gc although he doesn't get a skill. I only really offered my version as a template for ideas and not in the interest of balance in your or anyone elses group.

The frail but fey was in the dark elf one actually and just got copy pasted over.

The D12 wasn't in the interest of making the game more accessible but to see if I could make it more balanced in my game setting without having to remove much of the extras in the game like coreheim because my group LOVES extra warbands(particularly strong ones). I have to say I think everything they create breaks a new overpowered line set in my brain. I didn't know if anyone else had tried to change the dice of the game before so thought I would ask. No one in my group came from another game either... The only other game I played was DnD 3.5 so it seemed simple compared, HA!
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim D12?   mordheim - Mordheim D12? Icon_minitimeFri 13 Feb 2015 - 3:46

Right, sorry, I wasn't implying thats why you had posted your Asur warband, I was just honestly curious after reading it about how you guys had come to the prices and rules. If your group gravitates towards stronger warbands, then that makes perfect sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim D12?   mordheim - Mordheim D12? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mordheim D12?
Page 1 of 1