Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Tutorial Request on painting naked blades

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Yojiro
Youngblood
Youngblood
Yojiro

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jan 2015 - 18:25

Good afternoon people!

Over the course of my painting life, I have noticed that one of the steps that I originally thought would be the easiest and more prone to improvement has turned out to be the one where I seem not to evolve at all.

I need to learn how to paint a blade - be it sword, dagger, halberd or whatever - to a much higher standard, as I believe my attempts are severely sub-par at best.

So... can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
poniatowski
Youngblood
Youngblood
poniatowski

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jan 2015 - 19:20

OK, as I am new here, I will defer to others advice, but i have been painting on a semi-pro level for many years. I even work for a painting company.

You can go two ways with weapons.... non-metal metalics... not just for professionals.... you just need ot be ablke to blend and paint straight lines.... and metalics.

The way I layer metalics is pretty simple.
For steel....
1. I start with Iron Wind or Parth "Steel".. is is very dark.
2. I decide which side to highlight (usually the one that best shows off the weapon or armor angle).
3. I paint the leading edge or flat with a mix of Steel and GW Chainmail.
4. I crest just the edge with GW shining silver.
That will give a 3 fold shading effect. You can also hit the back side of the blade or reverse slope of the armor with a ligth drybrush of the silver.

Now, when I say reverse side or opposite edge, I mean the adjoining surfaces. Id the blade is flat, I will paint it steel and then take a black thin paint pen or fine brush and paint a straight line down the center to give it depth.
On armors, I will then usually follow all of the painting with an ink wash...depending upon the look I want to go for.... rusty, shiney, old, etc..... redbrown ink, clear seal or black respectively.

I hope this helps a little bit.

When you get copmfortabel with this, you can then start using a very fine brush... tripple 0 (use SABLE)..... and start painting on reflective lieght in the form of star shapes etc.... to highlight one specific area. The same you would do on a pommel gem.
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2015 - 18:07

Another simple method:

- coat of slightly watered down GW Boltgun Metal
- coat of a black or brown wash (black for well kept blades, brown for those in ill-repair)
- highlight of Boltgun Metal
- edge highlight of GW Mithral Silver
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial Request on painting naked blades    Tutorial Request on painting naked blades  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tutorial Request on painting naked blades
Page 1 of 1