HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FireKnife
Warrior
Warrior

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: 500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter   Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 6:30

So I have managed to get a couple of players to run a tiny test campaign with me but I am wondering if my list needs some tweaks.

So far I have this as my current list, if anyone can give any help or pointers as to what is missing it will be appreciated:

The Crew of the Crimson Stallion (Reiklanders Based Warband):

Marius Darkheart, Ship’s Master: Captain, Crossbow, Club, Free Dagger: 88
Erik von Strohm, First Mate: Champion, Brace of Pistols, Pair of Daggers: 67
The Unknown Man, Assassin: Champion, Sword, Free Dagger: 45
John, Cabin Boy: Youngblood, Crossbow, Pair of Daggers: 42
Kevin, Cabin Boy: Youngblood, Crossbow, Pair of Daggers: 42
The Hunters of Westerland: 2 Marksmen, Long Bow, Pair of Daggers: 84
The Raiders of Baron’s Bay: 2 Swordsmen, Sword, Pistol, Free Dagger: 120

Total: 488gc
Count: 9 (5 Heroes)

I have left a little bit of gold for first post game spending and tried to make the lesser heroes have a chance of contributing and hopefully either survive long enough, get a ranged kill or two for that extra +1 a time or both. I have a feeling that I might do better swapping the two Swordsmen for more Marksmen but I was trying to get a themed balance on the go too (none of us know what the others are taking bar what race they are so we don't bother list tailoring etc).

So tl;dr is have a look at above list, anything missing / wrong, point it out. Thanks Smile. Oh and +1 to you if anyone gets the terrible 'Kevin the Cabin Boy' reference.

'FireKnife'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: 500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter   Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 8:25

One of the big advantages of the Human Mercenary warbands is their access to great equipment, which I might recommend taking advantage of. If you're taking a brace of pistols on a hero, it's probably worthwhile to upgrade them to Dueling Pistols while you don't need to make rarity rolls for them. And Blunderbuses are AWESOME (and on-theme for Pirates). Swapping the Longbows on the Marksmen for a pair of them would likely give good results.

Now, where to get the points? Youngbloods: their BS is, sadly, terrible. Off the bat they're hitting on 5's, which means 6's at range, 7's (aka can't hit without a house rule) if the target is in cover. I'd drop their Crossbows and have them cower in a corner or swoop in behind your main lines to attack Stunned/Knocked Down opponents for the first couple of games. This also gives the advantage of making them more flexible based on what level-ups they get. If you roll +1 Str and +1 A you don't want them hanging out in the back with a Crossbow!

Final thought: Unless you're set on the idea of lots of skilled bowmen henchies (doesn't say pirate to me, but to each their own) I would consider switching from Reikland to Marienburg. That extra 100 crowns can go a long way toward adding more lovely blackpowder and bodies to a fledgling pirate crew!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FireKnife
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: 500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter   Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 8:40

Thanks for the help.

With the Champ I was thinking Duelling Pistols but didn't have the points on what I had taken.

Blunderbusses will not work very well on the boards and gaming area we have. Plus as I am sticking to Reiklander the loss of that BS bonus seems a waste so it is two bad points against them.

As for the Youngbloods I may give them the Sword and Dagger and give the Crossbows to make up either one set of four Crossbow Marksmen or two of two, not sure on that one. I saw them more as a way to get the odd extra hit and then as they progressed shift equipment around.

The skilled bowmen were more due to the fact that I wanted something move and fire to handle the odd cheap flanker that enemy might throw my way (plus as said the boards look to be avenues of fire or move to compensate), plus the Handgun, while possibly more appropriate is a poor show given it's drawbacks for the points cost. As for the switch, no, I plan to keep my longer range Leader's shouting and higher than average BS. The swordsmen might be downgraded or switched to Marksmen with better kit to make the points though.

'FireKnife'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: 500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter   Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 20:06

Woot! You are going to play real games!

I must admit I cannot conceive of a board that a blunderbuss will not work on, but you seem determined.  Crowded boards usually mean narrow alleys/streets and other choke points, which are great places to catch a crowd of models with a blunderbuss blast.

Also if your youngbloods can take a shooting skill, a blunderbuss is a great present once they have Weapon Master as it doesn't take BS to hit.  A crossbow is a waste of equipment on a youngblood as noisy has noted.

We play lots of pirate Mordhiem games, our pirates tend to shoot before boarding.  Indeed many ship fights are decided by small arms before the ships actually get within boarding range.  Our cannon never decide a battle unless they can start a fire...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FireKnife
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: 500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter   Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 7:23

Right-o, time for a swivel around:

Marius Darkheart, Ship’s Master: Captain, Crossbow, Club, Free Dagger: 88
Erik von Strohm, First Mate: Champion, Brace of Duelling Pistols, Pair of Daggers: 87
The Unknown Man, Assassin: Champion, Sword, Free Dagger: 45
John, Cabin Boy: Youngblood, Sword, Pistol, Free Dagger: 42
Kevin, Cabin Boy: Youngblood, Sword, Pistol, Free Dagger: 42
The Hunters of Westerland: 2 Marksmen, Long Bow, Pair of Daggers: 84
The Raiders of Baron’s Bay: 2 Marksmen, Crossbow, Pair of Daggers: 104

Total: 492

Seems to be a bit better and while the Blunderbuss is tempting I shall put that down as a later purchase based on how my Heroes evolve. Our boards are a bit 'what is left' at the club so I might get a very open rural one with only light cover (perfect for a Empire in Flames scenarios) or an odd one full of angles, heights and such.

However I think we might have one or two house rules, people don't seem to be keen on 'no hit on 7+s' so we might adopt the 7 is a 6 then 4+, 8 is a 6 then 5+, 9 is a 6 then a 6 and only a 10 is impossible. Still the crossbows look better in the hands of the Marksmen.

Now I need to work out when people are actually ready to play this game.

'FireKnife'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter   Today at 8:58

Back to top Go down

500pts of 'Sort-a-pirates' (Reiklanders), Campaign Starter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1