HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Warband Help, both Reiklanders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FireKnife
Warrior
Warrior

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Warband Help, both Reiklanders   Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 4:01

Hi all,

After deciding I am flat not going to do Elves due to the potential abuses of the list I have looked at a nice, typical ranged list using Reiklanders, going for ranged superiority but with only a pair of daggers for combat etc. These lists are for 1000gc standalone lists rather than warband starters.

Now these are two lists I have for games revolving around two different themes. The first is a Captain and his trained Watchmen, supported by his national champion duelling partner and the champions 'seconds'. Does anything seem amiss or could this below be quite viable?:

Erik von Staffen: Merc Captain, Crossbow, 2x Dagger, +2BS, +1T, +2W, +2LD, Quick Shot: 267
Dieter Gruber, Second: Captain, 2x Duelling Pistol, 2x Dagger, +1M, +1WS, +1T, +1W, +1A, +1LD: 207
Peter von Hoffen, Watch Officer: Captain, Crossbow, 2x Dagger, +2BS, +1T, +1W, +1LD: 157
Karl von Strohm, Pistol Duellist: 1 Marksman, Duelling Pistol, 2x Daggers: 52
Hans van Burke, Sword Duellist: 1 Swordsman, 2x Sword: 55
The Watchmen of the Northern Gate: 5 Marksmen, Crossbow, 2x Dagger (each): 260
Total: 998gc

The second is an odd one as it is meant to be a kind of early blackpowder pirate themed force using Reiklanders as the basis so that I can account both for the Captain of the ships ability to command and the renowned ship to ship ranged fighting / marksman skills over combat skills that they display:

Merc Captain, +1T, +2W, +1LD, +1BS, Crossbow, Axe, Free Dagger, 'Quick Shot': 240
Champion, +2BS, Crossbow, Axe, Free Dagger, 'Quick Shot': 135
Champion, +1WS, +1LD, +1W, Brace of Pistols, Pair of Daggers: 117
4 Marksmen, Longbow and Pair of Daggers: 168
3 Marksmen, Crossbow and Pair of Daggers: 156
2 Warriors, Pistol, Sword and Free Dagger: 100
2 Warriors, Pistol and Pair of Daggers: 84

Total: 1000 Gold Coins
Models: 14 (3 Heroes)

Now just to add based on previous questions:

1. The bands are meant to be a 'take on all comers' and are not tailored to what my opponents have.
2. I have given the Leadership advances for the fact that these Heroes will either be for Rout tests or are going to likely be running off alone to pick off stragglers, so counting for 'All Alone' tests.
3. We are using only what is in the base list plus characteristic enhancements. We are not using the rest of the kit available in campaigns so it limits us all a little.

So anything I have missed, anything useless or should these give a good balance and be a decent force?

Thanks in advance,

'FireKnife'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Warband Help, both Reiklanders   Sat 10 Jan 2015 - 8:28

Ah Fireknife, I hope your group starts playing regular campaigns soon. Having never bothered with the one off rules I don't know what to tell you aside from don't waste time with the one off games. Also the one off games are such a different animal from the campaign game that I'm not sure what you learn from them aside from what not to do in a campaign.

Anyway, when I began playing Mordheim I was convinced that Leadership was an important characteristic and I always tried to have the best Lead skills and highest Leadership for my captains. This was a waste of time for me. What I learned was that Leadership is sometimes useful, but those sometimes are rare. Being good at shooting or combat is better than being able to pass a Lead test. Having other characters with high leadership is just annoying in a campaign. Whatever you are spending for that leadership advance could be better spent elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: Warband Help, both Reiklanders   Sat 10 Jan 2015 - 10:59

In campaign games, you do not assign (or roll) advancements to go with the starting experience the champions and captain have - that experience accounts for their better-than average stats, supposedly. I don't know if that is different for one-off games, although I don't think it is. That said, if your group has agreed that you want to give the improvements the characters could have earned as they advanced from 0 experience to 8 or 20, that is fine.

As Von Kurst, I don't remember ever playing one-off games. From the start, we were playing campaign games, and they are a blast. If you and your friends do enjoy the game, I recommend you give the campaign rules a try.

Given that I have never constructed a list with the design rules you are using, my suggestions are limited. The one thing that I would suggest is that, with 1000 gold per warband you are presumably going to be facing large numbers of enemies... so I would recommend a blunderbuss (or two, or three) scattered among your marksmen. The more crowded together the enemy are, the more devastating a BB shot can be.

Good luck, and have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FireKnife
Warrior
Warrior

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Warband Help, both Reiklanders   Sat 10 Jan 2015 - 17:58

Thanks for the 'help' guys Very Happy.

Mweaver, the rules for individual games are at the back of the book, last page I believe and they explain how to play such games. You get a basic 'pick a starting warband' then some options to boost stats using points values, some obviously higher than others. As for the Blunderbuss that has been ignored by me as the boards we have are rather full and getting that 16" shot line isn't going to be so easy. And in regards to large numbers it is still limited to the usual 12-15-20 that warbands get, nothing much beyond that.

Von Kurst we are trying this as a sort of start up as the local club has many games on and in order to squeeze a game in you need to play easier rules and start people going that way. It isn't good I know but for now it is just so that we can play the mechanics as while I am content with the experience system, others just want to turn up once in a blue moon and play. Such people would also not like to have their 'played two games' warband get slaughtered by someone that knows the rules better and has a much hardier army. It is making the best of a situation as while we have say 3-4 that might be able to play it the 'right' way, we have about 7-8 total that are happier to treat it more as a casual skirmish game and at the club you need those numbers sadly.

As for Leadership well I am considering knocking that back to just a +1LD on the Captain and keeping the Champions at their base LD. The list I have gone for has ended up as an expanded version of the second one, filling it out to 14-15 for maximum size and more coverage of the board over smaller elite numbers that aren't going to do as much.

Either way, any suggestions add them in. Just be aware that I am working with the best I have at the moment rather than optimal conditions to run a full campaign (if only the TTWG games turned up as often as the RPG lot we would be set).

'FireKnife'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warband Help, both Reiklanders   Today at 12:55

Back to top Go down

Warband Help, both Reiklanders
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1