Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Chaos themed warbands?

Go down 
+2
Grimscull
Lightbox
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lightbox
Captain
Captain
Lightbox

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Chaos themed warbands? Empty
PostSubject: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:40

Hey there, basically I'm wanting to start a new warband but base them around a chaos sort of theme for gameplay and modelling fun. The ruleset my group uses has common skills with marks of chaos which are interesting and modelling should be simple and fun but my main problem is what warband do i choose?

I could go with possessed but I know they're pretty difficult for starting out due to their high starting costs though they are interesting but lack a good weapon selection. I've also been thinking about potentially doing a chaos themed pit fighter warband as i've used them before and found them fun especially with their weapon selection. I could always go simple with human mercenaries or tilean human merc warbands and i'm sure there are other interesting possibilities but do you guys have any recommendations for warbands that could play well as chaos?

Also any starting warband recommendations as well as any other recommended things to go for or avoid to fit the theme would be nice Smile

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section but the others didn't seem any more fitting for this thread)
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:50

My first warband was a Beastmen Warband and I loved it. They are rather tough and lack missile weapons as well as Mercenaries. While I didn't mind the missile weapons (I tend to test my opponent's patience when I have too many choices during games) the Mercs thing sucks a little, when everyone is having elves and the Goblin Lantern Bearer. Make sure to look out for a list where the Skill "Shaggy Hide" grands an armour bonus. The one where someone could take a second twihanded weapon got revised.
Back to top Go down
Lightbox
Captain
Captain
Lightbox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:56

Hmm beastmen could be interesting and i'll definitely think about it. I wouldn't mind trying a human list though (lots of human kits allow for fun converting) but i hadn't though about beastmen so i'll def give the list a look over Smile
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jan 2015 - 21:14

Many people's favourite Chaos Warband seems to be the Carnevale of Chaos list. Then there are (not totally official) Chaos Dwarf, Norse and Chaos Warrior lists around the internet (and behind the links in the resources-section of this forum). If your group allows to use Mercenaries with some extra chaos rules (so I understand it), I'd probably go with the Middenheimer rules.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jan 2015 - 23:18

There is also the age-old wargame tradition of proxy/counts-as. Beastman warband rules with chaos warrior marauder theme would work very well and offers some great modeling opportunities. This was my plan before I got a batch of nice beastmen models.
Back to top Go down
Lightbox
Captain
Captain
Lightbox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 0:34

Hmm i could see if my group would let me do a chaos warrior warband using beastmen rules. Can get a mounted warrior for the centigor

Also looking at some of the other options such as pirates to see if anything looks particuarly fun

Though before i do rule it out has anyone had any fun with the possessed warband and found a good starting setup for them? The only time i tried them before i struggled quite a bit especially with making much money
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 12:54

I'd definitely recommend using the Marauders of Chaos from the BtB supplement.

They can be found here.

In addition, you can use the Marks of Chaos in there for your Beastmen (Believe it's 25gc extra for the Seer + Chieftain). We're also attempting to create a Druchii Cult of Slaanesh warband using these rules in our group.

P.S. if you are looking for Chaos Armour, it can be found on 13+, reduced by 1 for each warrior your Hero takes out. Also the price is reduced the more experience you have. Those rules can be recommended as well.
Back to top Go down
Lightbox
Captain
Captain
Lightbox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 18:48

Ooh the marauders of chaos look fun though i dont see anything on the pdf about this chaos armour, is that found elsewhere in the border town burning?
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 19:15

Lightbox wrote:
Ooh the marauders of chaos look fun though i dont see anything on the pdf about this chaos armour, is that found elsewhere in the border town burning?

Yes, it is. Took some time before I noticed the Chaos Armour too, as I came to the site through that warband Razz it is in the full supplement and also right here.
Back to top Go down
Lightbox
Captain
Captain
Lightbox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 22:41

Ahh nice, though since its an equipment list to use only in border town burning campaigns im not sure my group will allow its use :/ although certainly something to keep in mind for if i can start running a campaign where i am myself Smile (my main group currently is in a diff town to me so i can only play with them during uni breaks)

Anyway any starting warband tips or tactics for the chaos marauders? Especially as i may be fighting a lot of warbands who are tougher than i am at the start so any good ways to potentially avoid losing lots and becoming a spawn or even just tips on keeping heroes alive and doing damage without just sacrificing hounds and running away would be cool. (If i'm gonna play chaos i may as well give my foes a good fight Wink )
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 23:32

I can understand that your group might not allow items like katanas or firecrackers or rickshaw since these only fit the fluff in-and-around Cathay. However, Chaos Armour is applicable anywhere that there is chaos. Therefore hopefully your group will allow Chaos Armour to be used elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Lightbox
Captain
Captain
Lightbox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2015 - 23:40

I shall certainly talk to them about it and see what they decide Smile
Back to top Go down
Shadowphx
Warlord
Warlord
Shadowphx

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2015 - 23:19

Proxy warbands are fun when you just like conversion models. For instance, I like the Sisters warband but didn’t have a female minis and I had a full set Cult of the Possessed minis (Magister, Dark Souls, Brethern, ect.) So I mirror imaged the Sisters warband and reworded the Fluff to make it Chaotic based. Behold, the Shadow Brotherhood was born. Since, it’s a base book warband, the proxy was just as balanced.

As long you just reword the fluff but don’t change their core rules and stats, you can make just about any warband conversion you like. Just state which warband you’re converting and what fluff type stuff you’re rewording and you should be okay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chaos themed warbands?   Chaos themed warbands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chaos themed warbands?
Page 1 of 1