Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

MasterSpark's Undead warband

Go down 
+11
lordlucan
Von Kurst
SerialMoM
christian
Alex
maxxev
DeafNala
floedebolle
Grimscull
Mike
MasterSpark
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

MasterSpark's Undead warband Empty
PostSubject: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2014 - 20:37

Hello all,

Here are some pictures of my currently running Undead warband. Let's get right into it!

First up is the star of the show and the only WIP miniature right now: Helena, the child vampire.

She is difficult to get a good picture of since she's so light. You'll notice that she's on a specially made base, which I did as a trick to reduce the effective height of the miniature relative to other models. A bit further down you'll see how she stands next to a couple of regular-sized GW miniatures, and also an Ogre.

Vampire
Spoiler:

...and then there's the rest. Smile

Necromancer
Spoiler:

Dregs
Spoiler:

Ghoul Hero
Spoiler:

Ghoul Henchmen
Spoiler:

Dire Wolf
Spoiler:

Ogre Bodyguard
Spoiler:

Zombies
Spoiler:

And, finally, a shot of the entire warband together! I'm linking it to preserve the size of the picture.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/warban11.jpg

Comments are welcome! cheers

Last edited by MasterSpark on Sun 22 Feb 2015 - 18:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2014 - 20:49

That is a great looking warband! The child vampire is a fun twist.
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2014 - 20:57

Thanks Mike!

With Helena I've made a concession from my otherwise strict WYSIWYG approach: the great majority of the warband are armed and armoured just like they appear. Helena, however, looks like she has nothing... when she in fact has everything. Very Happy

We play with open equipment though so I remind the opponent when it's relevant.

Edit: And here are some (shoddy) pictures of the terrain we've been using! The pictures are about a month or a little more old and we've made some progress since then but they'll give you an idea. The setup here is for wyrdstone hunt with the blue markers being the wyrdstone.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/terrai10.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/terrai11.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/terrai12.jpg
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2014 - 22:40

Whoa, this terrain is going to look great once it's all painted up. I like your bodyguard a lot, both how the gore on his spine turned out and how he keeps his hand over the vamp-gitl. Also Walter has a nice little twist to him.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2014 - 0:13

Great stuff MS, the kitbashing looks superb, nice paintjob too!
Best minis in my opinion is walter, great conversion, the ghoulhero, and of course dobby the ghoul!Wink

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2014 - 0:39

VERY IMAGINATIVE! The Young Lady Vampire is a unique approach to the beasty & a FINE looking miniature. The rest of the Living Impaired Folk are OUTSTANDINGLY painted creations. VERY WELL DONE!  thumbsup
Your gaming board, even in it's unfinished state is WONDERFUL. Once completed it will be a FANTASTIC place to adventure. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2014 - 7:48

Great idea and warband, perplexed by the special base thuogh, she'd still be a head shorter than the rest of the figures (bar the ogre) on a normal base?
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2014 - 21:49

Helena looks almost like your avatar. Where is that model from? Never seen it before, but it looks pretty awesome.

Your painted models are top notch, so I am looking forward to seeing Helena painted up.
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2014 - 0:29

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you like what I've done so far. Smile

Daniel36, the model is originally Gemini from the game Anima Tactics by Cipher Studios. It's the one to the right in the picture, although I've shortened both her arms and legs, and given her some new hands from Mantic's The Green Lady. I think it has all come together pretty well, scale-wise.

Maxxev, Helena is based on a character with the same name from the Hellsing animated TV-series, and she is that small.

Spoiler:

In order to achieve the same kind of effect the special base is required with the model, at least when used along GW miniatures. And Daniel36, my avatar is of the TV character, who the miniature is supposed to look like. I'm glad you see the resemblance.  cheers

Anyway, tomorrow I hope to get some pictures of my latest work. I'd do it tonight but my camera will only work well with natural lighting. I do have these crummy cell-phone pictures of the terrain we used for some games we played today, though.

These first two are for a game of Defend the Find where I fight against Sisters of Sigmar (defenders)
https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/terrai14.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/terrai13.jpg

Yes, those are pieces of spaceship wreckage. Who says it necessarily has to be a meteor that destroyed Mordheim?  Elf

And this picture is of a board used for Find the Treasure. Spoiler: I found the treasure. Smile
https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/17/76/48/91/terrai15.jpg
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2014 - 20:02

Hello again,

I'm sorry for the double post, I just want to bring attention to some new photos.

Imperial Assassin
Spoiler:

I purposefully kept him in very muted tones to give him a stealthy look, while still going for a blue-black appearance. I think it works, kind of. It's not very visible in the pictures but the tip of his spear has a green tint on it to show that it's poisoned.

Bat Swarm - this is actually a stand in for a War Dog, which I've bought as a piece of "equipment" for Helena.
Spoiler:

The flash from the camera plays up what little shininess there is from the varnish on the miniature.

And now a picture of the new additions together with their glorious leader.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2014 - 21:00

I must admit that of the various weapons I can see an assassin carrying, a spear comes in about dead last. Be that as it may, the black turned out BEAUTIFULLY...very assassin like which might be a mistake if you are trying not to look like an assassin. The Bats are cool & rather cartoony (that's a plus with moi). GREAT WORK all around!   thumbsup

Cameras tend to make shiny things dull & dull things shiny...it's their nature.   clown
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 20 Dec 2014 - 8:25

Thanks for commenting!

I see him as more of a ranger type of character, giving my warband a helping hand every now and then, always with a new weapon in his hands. I keep rolling triple 6's on my exploration rolls and I pick the assassin due to his nice rules but I can never afford to actually keep him around. I've had him for two games now and his upkeep on top of the ogre's stunts the growth of the rest of the warband too much for me. If I happen upon the Bow of Seeking I've promised myself to let him stay more permanently. Elf

Now that I've got some holiday time off I hope to get to work on some new things.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 20 Dec 2014 - 13:11

Have FUN with the Holiday & your extra hobby time!   What a Face
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 22 Dec 2014 - 0:32

No new models to show you today but I've got some new terrain pictures. Tonight we played a 3-way free for all so we could pool our stuff on to one table, or at least as much as we could fit into 6x4'. Smile

MasterSpark's Undead warband Terrai16

MasterSpark's Undead warband Terrai17

MasterSpark's Undead warband Terrai18

MasterSpark's Undead warband Terrai19
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 22 Dec 2014 - 4:59

It is a WONDERFULLY cluttered battle ground AND a potentially BEAUTY.   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeWed 4 Feb 2015 - 19:39

Hello again,

I will soon be revisiting my warband with new models. Most of the ones I've shown you so far have been taken from my Warhammer army but I've recently developed a taste for the good old Mordheim OOP miniatures. After some trawling across eBay I've managed to get my hands on a few of those old treasures and I'm itching to get them done. Smile

I'll return here again sometime during the weekend with pictures!
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeWed 4 Feb 2015 - 22:07

Good use of the crypt horror, works very well as an ogre. I'm really not a fan of WYSIWYG since it's way too limiting for me. But your warband works really well and I like your spin on things. Is the vampire still unpainted?
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeWed 4 Feb 2015 - 22:48

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the comment. Smile

And yeah, Helena is still unpainted. I'm actually a bit apprehensive about even starting since she'll be painted in a way that's completely different from how I've always done things. My secret ingredient to painting is a liberal dosage of Army Painter's dark tone ink which produces a darker finish with pretty good contrast between colours. However, Helena is supposed to be about the opposite of that; quite bright and cleanly coloured. To get that done I'm going to have to learn how to paint in an entirely new way since I've never even managed to get a single smooth coat of white paint before. Neutral

For reference, here is how I'm going to get her painted up like.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeThu 5 Feb 2015 - 18:04

You're just too lazy to do anything but basecoating her, admit it! Razz

Last edited by Grimscull on Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 20:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeThu 5 Feb 2015 - 18:08

I'm not lazy, it's just so much easier to just slather a black tone over everything. Razz

I think what I'm feeling is fear of stepping outside my comfort zone. But the day will come...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeThu 5 Feb 2015 - 18:20

MasterSpark wrote:
I'm not lazy, it's just so much easier to just slather a black tone over everything. Razz

I think what I'm feeling is fear of stepping outside my comfort zone. But the day will come...

Now that is something I can identify with. I've gotten stuck in particular ways of doing things for so long they could be considered "periods" like Picasso's Blue period...although not of a similar quality. It's good to break out of a habit periodically...scary, but good.   clown
Back to top Go down
christian
General
General
christian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 7 Feb 2015 - 22:48

Hi! Love the idea with the Hellsing character! (love the series also:)) Looking forward to see her painted!
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:07

Really like your warband and your excellent job with the scenery.

Keep up the good job!
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 8 Feb 2015 - 11:58

Thanks for the comments, guys!

And Christian, nice to see a fellow fan. Smile Helena will probably be the last thing I paint for this warband since getting those white and bright colours smooth and clear will likely be a big time sink. I'll do what I can to reach that point ASAP, though. Smile

Here are some pictures of the new models I'm working on. You'll have to excuse the bases, I haven't received the custom resin ones that I want to be using.

These will be replacing the ones I've been using before. The earlier models were all borrowed in from my Warhammer Fantasy army while these new ones are purposefully made for Mordheim. Coincidentally they're also the actual ones from Mordheim. Very Happy

Zombie

MasterSpark's Undead warband Zombie14

MasterSpark's Undead warband Zombie15

MasterSpark's Undead warband Zombie16

MasterSpark's Undead warband Zombie17

Ghouls

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghoul111

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghoul211

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghoul311

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghoul411

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghouls14

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghouls15

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghouls16

MasterSpark's Undead warband Ghouls17

Dreg

MasterSpark's Undead warband Dreg111

MasterSpark's Undead warband Dreg211

MasterSpark's Undead warband Dreg311

MasterSpark's Undead warband Dreg411

And now a group picture from the distance you're actually supposed to be viewing these from.

MasterSpark's Undead warband Group111

I won't have much time for painting during the next week but my goal is to fix the bases for the ones I've posted here and maybe also get another dreg done.

Last edited by MasterSpark on Sun 8 Feb 2015 - 22:35; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 8 Feb 2015 - 13:55

The Deadite Crew is LOOKIN' GOOD all thing considered. I have that Zombie & his associates kicking around & yet to see a brush; your FINE paint jobs may have motivated a change in their appearance. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup

Saving the Vampire for last is a splendid idea. There are quite a few historical gamers I knew whose first & worst looking minis were Napoleon & his Old Guard.   clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MasterSpark's Undead warband   MasterSpark's Undead warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MasterSpark's Undead warband
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next