Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband

Go down 
+2
Grimscull
rory
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

Trading Reputation : 0

undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Empty
PostSubject: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 29 Nov 2014 - 0:10

He guys,

Me again. I have been looking for another 'type' of miniature for my undead warband. I run a blooddragon warband (without the actual rules). What miniature would you guys recommend for three 'thralls' who are following there leader, a blooddragon in this case (I use the one with the 2handed sword). I am thinking along the theme of lesser vampire who are skilled in close combat. An undead version of a squire thus.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

rory
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 29 Nov 2014 - 8:35

So your leader is THIS guy:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coolminiornot.com%2Fpics%2Fimg3cbb0bcf0ee24.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coolminiornot.com%2F3285&h=640&w=480&tbnid=lPz3q3RnpSazFM%3A&zoom=1&docid=gCLDes4l5TZpSM&ei=DXB5VI-hFsLMOryOgKgH&tbm=isch&client=opera&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1176&page=1&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=0CEgQrQMwDA
and I take it you want your thralls to be coherent in style, just a little less fancy and maybe not armoured that well?
In GW's modern range of Vampire, Bretonnia and Empire, there is nothing that could be turned into (haha) a Blooddragon Thrall with a little headswap imo. What I was thinking of immediately are the old Blood Bowl Vampires that you should get on Ebay
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-gZ5n2UOKpAk%2FUglJO25IEtI%2FAAAAAAAABY0%2FjfQcL1HG21U%2Fs1600%2FTeam-02.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fptpaintworks-gallery.blogspot.com%2F2013%2F08%2Fvampire-bloodbowl-team.html&h=669&w=1600&tbnid=tcH1iqnD7QEFiM%3A&zoom=1&docid=46JqPRQHhp4aBM&ei=HXJ5VO2KFMivPO-3gKgF&tbm=isch&client=opera&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=3218&page=1&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=0CCIQrQMwAA
They are less armoured but in the same style as your Vampire AND you can easily put every weapon you want on them.
Also, the old GW-minis for the Blooddragons look a little less powerful, but should look coherent with your Vampire. Someone was converting them here:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-thGE7nTOngg%2FUMpq3sb58cI%2FAAAAAAAAGTY%2FFtEEfl8hLvE%2Fs1600%2FIMG_5680.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmlwodementia.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F12%2Fwip-blood-dragon-vampires-on-foot.html&h=480&w=640&tbnid=G5D7Qf2ihIqY-M%3A&zoom=1&docid=5cJX4bIZk9KS6M&ei=NnB5VOOlBIi3OMvRgIgH&tbm=isch&client=opera&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1855&page=4&start=100&ndsp=36&ved=0CBgQrQMwBjhk
Again, these you cannot get in a store anymore. What you could get is this lady that might work:
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/33580-1-show-undead_vampiress_lady_ilona.html
or these two gentlemen:
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/23335-1-show-vampires_batail_mit_schwert.html
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/23336-1-show-vampires_talamur_mit_schwert.html
Everything else I found was too stylish/powerful or looked like a Karstein, Lahmia ...
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 15:06

thanks for the answer grimscull, I am looking at armoured vampires as dregs for my blood dragon boss. I was thinking of trying to find the old gw blood dragon vampires maybe? But they look to epic of high leveled for simple dregs. Plus the way to go with dregs is to give them bows. So the models would not come close to what they would actually do in the game. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 16:18

Both "Vampire" and "armoured" doesn't go well with "Bow". Reaper has 70 Vampires and none with a bow. I take it you don't like the Blood Bowl Vamps? They'd be easy to convert. You could convert humans or elves too. GW-Dark Elven armour is similar to that of Vamps, but they don't have bows either. The High Elven Shadow Warriors could be turned into nice thralls, though you's need to buy a whole box and they don't mix too well with the model you already have. Maybe someone else has some good suggestions?
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 21:33

Yeah thats the problem, I just dont really like the whole concept of the dregs. They grow to strong to quickly for the model that is supposed to go with them. And the stats are way to weak to be close combat blood dragon thralls.
Back to top Go down
Odin Morgrimmsson
Hero
Hero
Odin Morgrimmsson

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 2:50

My dregs are probably my favourite characters in all my Mordheim warbands. I don't use the original models, but there's just so much room to create interesting backstory as to why a human would follow a vampire. They don't all have to follow the Igor archetype.

The dregs in my current warband are: a heretic professor, dedicated to the study of vampires, a huge man on the run after being condemned to be hung for selling human flesh in his butchers shop, and a twisted halfling who hates mankind after a mob torched his business.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 16:41

how about this: use any human model you like. Blood dragons grant 'vampirism' to any fighter that impressed him/show potential. Blood dragons are often wanderers visiting many lands with different nations and I think that it won't be out of place to include warriors from "abroad": tilean duelist, imperial knight, cossack, norse/arabyan/cathayan warrior...
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 20:40

yes catachanfrog, this is true. But I just cant seem to find the right model. Ile have a look around again. Maybe you guys can upload some pics of the models you use?
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 21:08

What do you think of the bretonnian battle pilgrim blister models? If you would paint those three in a 'grim' way? Would they be good as blood dragon squires?
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 21:19

If you want to take Odins and catachanfrog's approach, you could just browse the net and take what looks best to you. Reaper has 20 minis with bows and plate armour, certainly more with bow and hide or leather. Some would make really cool dregs, I guess (the Valnors for example, or Eawod):
http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#search/Bow Plate
If you want to take a look at different mini-producers, I recommend battlefield berlin:
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/?&

Edit: the link to Reaper is with both Bow and Plate, it just doesn't "translate" right into the hyperlink, you'd have to mark it per hand.
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 22:00

I think I might just go for the bretonnian battle pilgrims and paint them in a different way. Otherwise converting the plastic flaggelants might me a good way to go. Only my skill with greenstuff sucks. Maybe I could commission someone to do this?
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2014 - 22:22

Both Pilgrims and Flagellants are nice minis, they both just neither have armour nor a bow-shooting pose or are similarity to your boss, but it's up to you of course.
Back to top Go down
Odin Morgrimmsson
Hero
Hero
Odin Morgrimmsson

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 3:03

The model I use as my "heretic professor dreg" might work for you...undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Viktor-Pendrake
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 10:25

allright guys, is there going to be a foto of the warband soon, this thing is getting, well, a bit too theoretically, for my taste...... scratch

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 12:12

These threads where people ask for ideas for minis without posting some have been in this sub-forum for as long as I'm a user here. There are five more on the first page of this sub-forum's index alone:
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7999-restless-dead-liche-ideas
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7632-alternate-warhounds
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7917-sisters-of-sigmar-made-from-witch-elves
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7881-looking-for-beer-mugs-or-bottles
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7876-minis-for-khorne-raiders

Over at my home-forum, there is a separate sticky-thread for these kind of questions. But I think having separate posts is done here intentionally, so that new users have a chance to search for questions that come up regularely (warhounds, sisters of sigmar). Being able to aks for advice concerning alternative models is a huge help for some, so they should have a place somewhere. If not in this part of the forum, where then?
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 17:29

jaja, i know what you mean, BUT, if you have a look at the comment of odin, there´s at least a pic of the mini he´s refering to, not only links. But as i said before, thats only my humble opinion.
BUT it makes it much easier for everybody reading this thread, to at least having a picture of the minis spoken about, and i am sure everyone would agree on pics instead of none and only text.
Dont get me wrong on this one grimscull, but a bit colour here and there, makes it more fun to get involved.
So, why not do it like senor odin here, post a pic of the thing you´re refering to, and everybody knows whats up, and would even take part on the discussed theme, so, PICTURES! bounce

Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 18:00

So, talking about pics and battle-pilgrims:
From a guy over at warseer forum(tancrede)

undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Plerin10

look at the way they got painted, very dark colours. Make them more dark and evil, maybe a headswap as mentioned here before, and they rock! You could even give them the quoted bow you´ve been talking about, even used myself before, head and weapon swaps are quite easy on those, you dont even have to use any greenstuff if the joints are cut clean off and sanded a bit, plus pinning.Use Warhammer 40k space wolves heads instead of the pilgrims ones, there are some space wolves heads without beard, and some even show there teeth, very vampire in my opinion.

Those were my convertions of the battle pilgrims, have sold them on ebay a long time ago.
Gave one a arrow and bow, the other one got a twohanded sword and shield.

undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Ben_1310

Two more got a crossbow, and one a shield and sword of the skeleton sprue, makes them look more sinsister and ancient:

undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Ben_1311

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 18:37

COOL STUFF, floedebolle, even as W.I.P. conversions! I may have to raid Cap'n John's stash of Bretonnians.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSat 6 Dec 2014 - 18:39

Do that al, they are worth the money, best bretonnian minis ever released, imho.

Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 7 Dec 2014 - 15:41

Floedebolle, I read your PM. Sounds good. I can post a pic of my wb if you want later on (the mini's are not in my house atm). What I use for dregs atm are the old metal grave guards. They fit the theme of being ancient warriors who are bound to the blooddragon imo.

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 7 Dec 2014 - 15:57

rory wrote:
Floedebolle, I read your PM. Sounds good. I can post a pic of my wb if you want later on (the mini's are not in my house atm). What I use for dregs atm are the old metal grave guards. They fit the theme of being ancient warriors who are bound to the blooddragon imo.

OOH! SOUNDS GOOD! There is a strong photo fanatic element in The Forum. The photos don't have to be professional in quality, AND the miniature subjects don't have to be masterpieces, but photos are treasured nonetheless.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 7 Dec 2014 - 16:37

Hahaha Deafnala will do! I have three complete warbands atm (beastmen, undead and orcs). I will post all three of them on the forums soon. I am not the best of painters, its just decent tabletop standard.
Back to top Go down
rory
Captain
Captain
rory

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 7 Dec 2014 - 16:39

Btw (a little of topic), I am alsof looking for the correct models to represent the wights. At the moment I am using the old warhammer banshee mini's. Not sure what other mini's would work. In my imagination the grave guards models are also the ones for the wights.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitimeSun 7 Dec 2014 - 17:02

OtherWorld makes some OUTSTANDING Living Impaired minis:

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/product-category/undead/

Wights:
undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Wightspaint1

Shadow:
undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Shadowspaint1

Wraiths:
undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Wraithspaint1

Barrow Wight:
undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Ecpkwbifsifhlwlsmaiu-350x350

AND Crypt Thing are possibles:
undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Lcv7hlid2m65uyrfbyir-350x350

Have a browse through their stuff. It's really quite good although more lightly built than G.W. & a bit pricey.   clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband   undead - LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LF Thrall/Squire miniature for undead warband
Page 1 of 1