Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Best version for a campaign

Go down 
+13
ishibei
maxxev
NoisyAssassin
Yodhrin
shotguncoffee
mweaver
Von Kurst
Thespian
Lord 0
Phantasmal_fiend
Aipha
RationalLemming
DeathAngel91
17 posters
AuthorMessage
DeathAngel91
Warrior
Warrior
DeathAngel91

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Best version for a campaign Empty
PostSubject: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 28 Nov 2014 - 10:13

Hello to you my fellow mordheimers! It's been a long time since I posted on here, but sooner or later I'll be back to post with some frequency on these boards, I promise you!
So, I know that there are some revised versions of the core rulebook (like CoreHeim or ModHeim I think) that rebalance the gameplay or are just a big compendium of all the various publications.
What I want to ask you is: What's the best version of Mordheim for a campaign?

Note: The only rulebook that I've read till now is the original one, but I'll consider reading the others in base of your suggestions!

So, thanks for the help my friends!
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 28 Nov 2014 - 23:02

My group only plays using the original, core rulebook. I've looked at the other options but nothing appeals to me because 1) we don't find normal Mordheim broken and 2) we like the wide variety of options (warbands, hired swords, scenarios, etc) offered for the unmodified rules through GW and fan made content.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSat 29 Nov 2014 - 1:14

RationalLemming wrote:
My group only plays using the original, core rulebook. I've looked at the other options but nothing appeals to me because 1) we don't find normal Mordheim broken and 2) we like the wide variety of options (warbands, hired swords, scenarios, etc) offered for the unmodified rules through GW and fan made content.

+1 thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSat 29 Nov 2014 - 2:37

We use the normal rules with the border town burning and empire in flames supplements and it works well.
There are a few house rules we implement but we try to keep it to rules as written.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSat 29 Nov 2014 - 16:51

Mordheim, the annuals, IEF, and occasionally ROTC, just to mix things up a bit. A few house-rules here and there for more fun/better consistency.
Back to top Go down
Thespian
Champion
Champion
Thespian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 9:58

Here's another vote for the published rules. They are the best balanced as far as our group can tell. We have some house rules to try and solve the dual wield issue and make all the weapons/armour more interesting to opt for, but that's about it. The warbands and scenarios work for us.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 11:12

I should also clarify that we do have some minor house rules within our group but we do try to keep them to a minimum.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
DeathAngel91
Warrior
Warrior
DeathAngel91

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 15:28

Thank you all for your answers! =D
Another question... what's ROTC? XD
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 30 Nov 2014 - 16:08

Relics of the Crusades is a fan made campaign setting for Araby.

A discussion can be found here--
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t140-supplement-relics-of-the-crusades

The rules can be found here--
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=02B7C1D22EA7D959&id=2B7C1D22EA7D959%21455&authkey=%21AByFcnV1qMjZdzg

Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec 2014 - 23:47

We also play the official rules, with a few minor house rules (I think the most significant HR is letting shields grant a +2 armor save in melee).
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 9 Jan 2015 - 4:11

Just to put in my 0.02$, even the people who prefer the official rules tend to agree that Coreheim is more balanced (but then typically say that too much balance ruins the game for them).
Back to top Go down
Yodhrin
Knight
Knight
Yodhrin

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 9 Jan 2015 - 12:16

shotguncoffee wrote:
Just to put in my 0.02$, even the people who prefer the official rules tend to agree that Coreheim is more balanced (but then typically say that too much balance ruins the game for them).

That's a pretty grotesque mischaracterization from what I've seen. I've seen people claim that the basic Coreheim rules are more balanced, but in so doing they took away all the flavour and limited warband choices too much, and I've seen people argue that the basic Coreheim rules are more balanced in many ways, but have imbalances of their own so in their view it's a wash. I don't think I've ever seen anyone except proponents of Coreheim who want to belittle those who prefer other rulesets claim "it's too balanced".
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 9 Jan 2015 - 16:36

shotguncoffee wrote:

Don't think I've seen anyone (on this board at least) make a statement anything like that in the year or so I've been hanging out here.
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jan 2015 - 10:33

If we ever play another campaign it will be with the boarder town burning supplement, it just adds that end game that the published rules are missing.
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jan 2015 - 10:37

Did someone delete something? I saw quotes and a discussion, which I cannot see any more.

Concerning Mordheim/Coreheim: I really think it is hard to balance this game, but it is not impossible. I still think some warbands are in the top tier (Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarf Treasure Hunters, Druchii), but have some drawbacks that balances it out a bit: The Skinks die quick, so you can force early rout tests, Animosity + Stupidity on the Troll can really ruin most Orc players game, Dwarves can basically be denied most objectives, if you have fast moving units to prevent them from running and Druchii is not worth much, when you buy Venom Rings (which is why I would argue, that they should be allowed - else Druchii are simply too strong still).

Anyway, this doesn't balance it out all that much, but I really do appreciate the randomness in Mordheim, which is why we have made our own random happenings, to further add to the funny situations, that you can suddenly find yourself in. Mordheim is also about failing a lot of important tests, and having Slayers die by falling through a window no further from the ground than themselves. In the end though, it tends to even out anyway (and if it doesn't, that's where the house rules come in).
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jan 2015 - 11:43

shotguncoffee wrote:

My problems with coreheim are,
Stupidity is too weak now, mordheim is better.
I'm not a big fan of halberds striking first
Unarmed attacks are too weak.
I preferred Weapon Skill being against the Opponents value
I don't like the idea of lowering everyones Ballistics Skill just because there is a low amount of terrain on the table.
Critical hits have more flavor in Mordheim.
I don't like the overkill skill scoring an automatic wound, I will always make them roll the dice, it takes away the enjoyment out of watching a 12+ attack possessed failing to wound someone.
I feel it overpowers shooting if you can automatic take stunned warriors out of action with a successful wound.
I prefer the RAR for charging a fear causing enemy, hitting only on 6's
Percentage work much better for routing, especially when warband's get much larger.
I hate the rule about no matter how many dagger you have it only counts as one, and not a fan of it being at -1 Strength.
I prefer the RAR injury table.
All other warbands will need to be converted if you are using these rules.

There are somethings I like in coreheim thou that i like but to me the negatives outweigh the positives to me and doesn't feel ballanced.
I like the switching weapons idea in coreheim, put i think there should be a penalty to Initiative or Weapon Skill.
I like the idea of being able to run and throw with certain weapons.
I like the idea of vampirism and necromancy having different spells, although i don't particularly care for the new spells in coreheim for all the lores.
The high movements are a novel idea.
Some of the new skills are cool
Back to top Go down
ishibei

ishibei

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jan 2015 - 17:21

Phantasmal_fiend wrote:

My problems with coreheim are,
Stupidity is too weak now, mordheim is better.
I'm not a big fan of halberds striking first
Unarmed attacks are too weak.
I preferred Weapon Skill being against the Opponents value
I don't like the idea of lowering everyones Ballistics Skill just because there is a low amount of terrain on the table.
Critical hits have more flavor in Mordheim.
I don't like the overkill skill scoring an automatic wound, I will always make them roll the dice, it takes away the enjoyment out of watching a 12+ attack possessed failing to wound someone.
I feel it overpowers shooting if you can automatic take stunned warriors out of action with a successful wound.
I prefer the RAR for charging a fear causing enemy, hitting only on 6's
Percentage work much better for routing, especially when warband's get much larger.
I hate the rule about no matter how many dagger you have it only counts as one, and not a fan of it being at -1 Strength.
I prefer the RAR injury table.
All other warbands will need to be converted if you are using these rules.

There are somethings I like in coreheim thou that i like but to me the negatives outweigh the positives to me and doesn't feel ballanced.
I like the switching weapons idea in coreheim, put i think there should be a penalty to Initiative or Weapon Skill.
I like the idea of being able to run and throw with certain weapons.
I like the idea of vampirism and necromancy having different spells, although i don't particularly care for the new spells in coreheim for all the lores.
The high movements are a novel idea.
Some of the new skills are cool

thanks for the overview i am looking to start a campaign so will still to the normal rules.
Back to top Go down
http://ishisimperium.blogspot.co.uk/
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSun 1 Feb 2015 - 9:17

To add another opinion.

Mordheim is not a tournament game, it is a fun campaign game which has a lots of luck elements.

The community of the original Mordheim is still very big and adds on a lot of additional settings.

Khemri was orginally based on a fan project. There is the great Bordertown burning setting out there as is the fantastic Sartosa setting. The above mentioned relics setting, nemesis crown and the storm of magic settings are all based on the wonderful Mordheim rules. I am also looking forward to mutiny in Marienburg a setting currently in production with very promising already released parts.

This is why the original rules are so awesome, all these fan made settings give you many many more warbands, hundreds of pages of background and so many additional rules and scenarios really bring Mordheim over the top.

Mordheim is at its best in a campaign/ story driven player group where competition is not / not too important. For me it is the best skirmish game available.

For competitive play other games are more suitable. I propose chess, although the black site has also a small disadvantage. To balance this out you should play best of 13 Wink.
Back to top Go down
poniatowski
Youngblood
Youngblood
poniatowski

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 6 Feb 2015 - 13:34

Core rules and suppliments..... they alreasy have enough to argue over... Smile
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 6 Feb 2015 - 18:25

I realized the other day that I had a list of explicit campagne objectives for my dwarves, and I had even built a story in my head around these. No one else in my campagne has any goals or back story, and I haven't really shared mine.

After getting to max heroes and henchmen, finding an enterence to the catacombs, learning academic skills, and finding more Gromril armor, I only have one objective left - finding a magical artifact. I'm not sure what I'll do if I get that, maybe I'll just start over with a different warband.

This makes me wonder, how do you all end campagnes?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeSat 7 Feb 2015 - 5:16

We used to play to 500. First warband to reach a 500+ rating won.
Often we would just play for a set number of weeks. Usually 14.
Either way we would end with a huge multi-player game.

Some campaign settings have goals or objectives. Relics of the Crusades has 'Paths' to follow. Sadly this entailed more record keeping and focus then the lads could maintain.
We have never done a BTB campaign, but we adapted the objectives to the Karribean and have been doing one objective driven Karribean campaign each year for the last 4.
These campaigns suffer from the same lack of record keeping skills and focus, but the lads seem to enjoy the scenery and shooting off the odd cannon. Fulfilling objectives usually falls by the wayside and the winner is declared on Campaign Points.

I am also a fan of shared goal campaigns. Travelling to Khemri to find a lost tomb, for example. All of the warbands are trying to find the Tomb, then explore it (and take the treasure). Or the Nemesis Crown, all the warbands are trying to find the Crown, with the last game as a brawl to try to keep it.

Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitimeFri 13 Feb 2015 - 21:35

Mordheim rulebook, Empire in Flames & Mordheim annual is all you need. Combine these with a campaign pack such as old favorites provided in Town Cryers if you're playing a campaign with a strong theme.

If you get an opportunity then play with the Border Town Burning scenarios. I always recommend the supplement because Cianty's warband objectives really drive campaign development.

There are some useful player aids in the rules section on my blog plus various campaign articles. Click the 'Liber Malefic' graphic and take a look around. Smile

Regards,

Werekin
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best version for a campaign   Best version for a campaign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best version for a campaign
Page 1 of 1