Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Marienburger Warband

Go down 
+8
Azmodan
Grimscull
floedebolle
Wyrdstone Dave
Von Kurst
SerialMoM
DeafNala
lowenbraugh
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Oct 2014 - 20:03

Nice posing on the last swordsmen, and fine brushwork too!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2014 - 19:28

The Snappy Dressers look SPLENDID together. Since people come in all sizes & shapes a certain difference in height & build looks natural to moi.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2014 - 21:49

Great models! Great work! What can I say more...
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2014 - 11:42

Thanks for all the great feedback, it is very encouraging!

I was able to get the basing done on some of the Marksmen so up next I have the first three.  I had contemplated using the Empire Marksmen models for the warband because of their tabards that they wear would have made them fit well with the Marienburger outfits.  After some debate and time spent on eBay I ended up with the idea to use Tilean crossbowmen.  As I mentioned before they are mentioned in fluff as renowned marksmen with their favored weapon the crossbow, so I went the Marksmen of Miragliano.  I have always been partial of the Dogs of War models because they all have great character to them.  I love how all the soldiers are carrying various gear and loot that you would expect a soldier of fortune to be carrying around.  I feel it works well for Mordheim because I would expect any warband to be loading up on loot any chance they could as they combed the wreckage of the city. My only complaint about the models is that they are all sculpted to be in formation so you can't get the nice dynamic poses out of them.  For a color scheme I wanted them to fit with the warband but also have a different feel to them to give the impression of being foreign from the rest of the crew.  I accomplished this by using a darker shade of red but to still include various accents with the normal warband colors.  In the end I think they turned out well.  Take a look.

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm10

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm11

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm12

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm13

Once I get the rest based I will snap a few pictures of that group as a whole to see how they mesh together.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2014 - 13:28

Despite having a most all of Dogs of War lying in wait...well in the closet, for some reason or other, until now, I hadn't thought of grabbing some for Mordheim. I'm going to have checkout what we have lurking in the Vault before we start selling things off. That aside, the Tilean Lads have a stylish flair to them which makes them perfect for Marienburg; AND they painted up SPLENDIDLY. GREAT WORK once more!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Azmodan
Champion
Champion
Azmodan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2014 - 15:24

lowenbraugh wrote:
...when I get around to doing Witch Hunters.

hurry! I'm excited to see those ;o)
Back to top Go down
http://mymortheim.blogspot.com/
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Oct 2014 - 15:55

Another nice addition to your Marienburger, the right and left one are especially fancy.
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2014 - 10:23

Another quick update with three more Marksmen.  I have a final Marksmen to finish basing, the leader of the group, and then I will post some pictures of them together with the rest of the warband.  Enjoy

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm14

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm15

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm17

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm18

Fingers crossed the warband will be finished in the next two weeks
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2014 - 13:54

There are some GREAT faces in this bunch. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2014 - 17:41

I am loving the model selection for this warband (and the painting of course) thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2014 - 1:33

not bad, like ´em!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Oct 2014 - 13:20

As with the swordsmen I selected a model to be the de facto leader of the group and a good candidate for 'that lads got talent'.  The obvious choice for the group was of course the Maximillian model that comes with the set.  It is a very nice model and on its own would make a very nice Tilean Marksmen hired sword.  He was fun to paint and I think he turned out well.

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm19

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm20

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm21

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Marksm22

As promised I took a picture of the complete warband up to this point.  Unfortunately the size of the warband is pushing my foldio light box to the limit, but I am liking how the warband looks together.

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Step5a10

Thanks again for the great feedback and I will try to get the rest of the warband knocked out soon.  Have a good one!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Oct 2014 - 19:51

The Group Portraits are for moi the highlight of every War Band Thread; this is no exception. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Oct 2014 - 3:37

Quote :
It is a very nice model and on its own would make a very nice Tilean Marksmen hired sword.
One of my friends does that very thing with his Maximilian whom he calls Guido.

Great update, I really like what you have done with this warband. thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Oct 2014 - 10:57

Great warband. It's not easy to get this sinister mordheim-ish look if you have to work with all these bright colors. What paint did you use for your reds?
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Oct 2014 - 14:21

Grimscull wrote:
Great warband. It's not easy to get this sinister mordheim-ish look if you have to work with all these bright colors. What paint did you use for your reds?

Thank you. All the paints I use are citadel colors. The Marienburgers are Mephiston red/Evil Sunz Scarlet/Wild Rider red, while the marksmen I used the khorne red/wazdakka red/squig orange combo. Both colors used the same red citadel wash carroburg crimson. The Khrone red combo I really like and I think it looks good for the streets of mordheim. I was very pleased with the look of Maximillian's outfit. I normally use a black primer but for these bright colors I went with a white. White primer tries my patience because with the black primer any spots I miss in the cracks are instantly shaded, but it really kills me with the white having to go back in fill in all the nice white spots I missed. It never fails that no matter how long I am working on a model I will one day turn it to a different angle and see a nice white spot glaring at me. I have also been experimenting with using a wet pallet with my paints which seems helping me keep the paints nice and smooth.
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014 - 10:54

I was afforded the rare opportunity to have consecutive days off in a row so despite being sucked into the Walking Dead on Netflix I was able to get some good work done.  As you may notice from the pictures, this next swordsmen has a bit of a feather problem.  Honestly the size of the feather borders on ludicrous because unless he plucked a griffon I am not sure where you would get a feather of that size.  I am also surprised that I didn't accidently break it off yet since the other duplicate head I got from Forgeworld already had the feather broken off and I have already broken off the feather to the last swordsmen twice (so he probably won't be wearing one).  Anyhow, it was a bit of work to get this guy done.  I was having a hard time getting the blue tabard to come out to my liking for some reason.  Perhaps I was just a bit rusty after a few busy weeks of work, but in the end I was able to get him done.  I went with a new scheme on his rather ridiculous feather, which I was pretty much coming up with off the top of my head.  I was tempted to add more color, since the thing is HUGE, but I figured in this case less would be more.  I still can't decide if painting the stripes on both sides of the feather is really needed, as I have in some cases for this warband opted not to.  Any opinions would be appreciated on the topic.  Without further ado I give you the worlds largest feather:

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Swords22

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Swords23

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Swords24

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Swords25

Here is a picture of all four completed swordsmen together

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Step6a10

I should only have one model to go but I find myself tempted to add a bit more firepower for this crew, so we will see how that next few weeks go...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014 - 12:24

The Fine Feathered Fellow turned out as TERRIFIC as his compatriots...GREAT brushwork on the mini AND the feather. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2014 - 22:06

Awesome warband!!! So jealous!
Back to top Go down
The Yak
Knight
Knight
The Yak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Nov 2014 - 17:27

Sweet Marineburg Warband. Nice selection of models and top quality painting. I bet they look damn fine on the streets of Mordheim!
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Nov 2014 - 14:01

Thanks again for all the great comments on the warband, I certainly appreciate it!  I apologize for the delay but work has been going non-stop and I have been putting in a lot of long hours in lately.  Thankfully I get the next four days so I can finish off the last of this warband.  For today I have just one hired sword.  I figured with a warband with so much money to through around they would want the finest of food when not scouring the mean streets of Mordheim.  The fact that he is also a great shot with a bow comes in handy too.  I present the Halfling scout:

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Halfli10

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Halfli11

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Halfli12

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Halfli13

I wanted the color scheme to appear rustic so I went with earthy tones instead of the flamboyant Marienburgher colors.  I think it may have turned out to be close to the original games workshop color scheme, but I am still happy with how he looks.  I tried using nihlack oxide on the helmet/cooking pot to give it a old look and I was happy with the outcome until it was varnished.  Perhaps it would have been better used after the varnish was applied.  Anyhow, I hope to have the four remaining models up in the next couple of days.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Nov 2014 - 14:35

The Woodsy Little Guy painted up in OUTSTANDING fashion. The muted colors will stand out in the Flashy Crowd. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Dec 2014 - 10:44

Sorry for the delay but work has been hectic and I just now finished up the Marienburger Warband.  As I had mentioned before I had felt about giving the warband some more firepower, and settled on the blunderbuss.  I have never used the weapon in game but I figured a well tricked out warband like the marienburgers would probably have one on hand, if for only keeping hands out of the pay chest.  The model is built using the old Mordheim/free company sprue and a head from the Empire Archers.  I forget how nice it is to have a set that lets you customize the leg/torso of each unit.  The newer warhammer mini's have lost that bit of creative flair.  Anyhow, my only complaint on the model is the lack of an actual whole at the end of the barrel of the weapon.  Perhaps if I had had better tools on hand I could have tried to drill or carve something into the end.  Alas I just tried painting it in black.

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Blunde10

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Blunde11

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Blunde12

warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Blunde13

The last of the Marienburger warband will be up over the next few days. Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Dec 2014 - 11:34

He turned out nice. Looks like he is about to pick out his next target(s). The highlights on the dagger are a little rough perhaps.
Back to top Go down
lowenbraugh
Captain
Captain
lowenbraugh

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 27 Dec 2014 - 11:40

Grimscull wrote:
He turned out nice. Looks like he is about to pick out his next target(s). The highlights on the dagger are a little rough perhaps.

Agreed, I noticed that when I posted the picture. A little clean up is in order. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marienburger Warband   warband - Marienburger Warband - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marienburger Warband
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next