Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Terrain set up

Go down 
+3
Thespian
flipchuck
Luddite
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Luddite
Warrior
Warrior
Luddite

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul 2014 - 2:13

Am i right in saying that terrain setup is basically, both players keep placing terrain until they're done?

So you get to place what you like, ny size you like, where you like and as much as you like?

Has anyone developed other methods of deploying terrain?

Or perhaps tips and tactics on what terrain to choose and how to deploy it?

It seems to me that terrain is critical to success in the game and therefore deploying it right is an advantage.
Back to top Go down
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jul 2014 - 16:36

For the most part, each player taking turns placing terrain is the tradtionalway of doing it. Usually when I play using my terrain, I usually set up the table mainly because every player I play with is usually new at it or they just like the way I set up the table. I have gotten pretty good at setting up the table to look like a cool citymainly because I'm so picky when it come to gaming tables. I always want to try and have it look like it came frome a WD battle report...
Back to top Go down
Thespian
Champion
Champion
Thespian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jul 2014 - 21:57

Yes, I find the placing of terrain to be part of the strategy for my warband. If you have a close combat warband like Skaven, Beastmen, or Possessed, you want terrain as tight as possible where you can move behind buildings and avoid being in line of sight from enemy missile fire. If you have exceptionally strong close combat fighters, build bottlenecks where those warriors can hold off greater numbers for several turns. Strong ranged attack warbands want open spaces and high building from which to shoot from.

We have so much terrain that we have made open roads, plazas and squares as a part of the terrain that can be placed on the table. No buildings can be placed on these open areas. This way warbands designed with strong ranged attacks have a chance as otherwise opponents fill the table with terrain so that no line of sight is possible until enemies are almost within charge range.

If we have a friend who is just watching the game, sometimes we let this third party build the table so that players have to adjust strategy to the terrain that is present. In some situations you can have one player place all the terrain but the other gets to deploy first.

Food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Benji
Veteran
Veteran
Benji

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jul 2014 - 2:21

We set up terrain in the same way as Thespian. And we have an independent "judge" to decide upcoming disputes.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jul 2014 - 7:40

We vary terrain set-up between normal rules, third-party sets, or a variation of one sets up, the other chooses first.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jul 2014 - 5:30

I must admit that I try to set up tables that will look good in our photos. If I leave it up to the players chaos ensues (usually in the form of winter, fall and summer terrain on the same table, power generators and crashed space ships...)
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jul 2014 - 7:31

We don't have any real method for setting the terrain on the table. I think that however it is set up the main key is rolling to see which warband gets to choose their side first.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jul 2014 - 15:11

Also for me, it isn't just about how the terrain is set up. Its also about all the terrain matching the theme of the gaming table. If the table is suppose to be urban, then I like all the terrain to be urban. If its wilderness, then the terrain is all wilderness. Nothing kills my mood for gaming faster then a gaming table that doesn't match or make sense. For example, having a table with sci-fi bunkers with castles (that both have grassy bases) on a sand based gaming table with a snow fort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Terrain set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrain set up   Terrain set up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terrain set up
Page 1 of 1