Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Mordheim Day!

Go down 
+5
RationalLemming
cuchulain23
DeafNala
Von Kurst
Saluksic
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2015 - 2:07

There are two more games in my dwarf campaign, with decidedly different results, as I'll tell you.

In game 23, the dwarfs were brutally ambushed! Six of my 15 dwarfs were deployed, scattered around the city. Due to a subplot, all my heroes were hungover and would operate at half initiative until they passed a T test.

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Game%2023_zpszghtyypk

Vampire, necromancer, dregs, and all manner of henchcreatures deployed within 8" of a board edge (the right side) and attacked! The fight was short and sour, and went like this:

1. Naked Buck is charged by a dreg and the Ghoul what has talent, learned weapons training and strongman. They both have S4 and two handers, and mighty blow. A bunch of S7 attacks Buck was mincemeat. Poor guy.

2. Grabthroat the engineer is also charged first turn by the vampire who keeps finding garlic powder in his tea. Dwarf like pranks, so the vampire hates dwarfs. On the first turn niether warrior injures the other, but the direwolf closes in.

3. Some poor henchdwarf is charged first turn by the other two heroes, S6 and S7, and an untalented ghoul. Despite having armor and being hard to kill, he is surprisingly easy to kill.

4. My halfling scout can't quite get a clear shot, so he hops down to the ground level, knocking himself down in his zeal to lose altitude. He does nothing all game.

5. Another random henchdwarf moves into the building north of him (this picture really is aligned with north being up!) to try and help the engineer. A sprinting ghoul that killed Buck ends it's second turn perched atop the wall that the dwarf is next to, and the dwarf's life insurance premiums go way up.

6. Henchdwarf Rhys spends turn one futility shooting, then turn 2 futilely running from the gang that killed #3.

On the start of my second turn I only rolled T-Flex and one other fella to join the fight. Seeing I had lost two of my 8 deployed dwarfs (1&3) and was fixing to lose at least 2 more (5&6), I elected to rout. The best thing I can say about the game was that I was able to get away quickly, and Grabthroat held out for three combat phases against the vampire.

In post game, I was scared for Buck, the magical flying dwarf with a propensity for serious injury. I rolled an Old Battle Wound, which is the most serious roll so far for me, and I chose to not reroll it with Extra Tough. My henchdwarf Wallas died, and was added to the roll of the dearly departed.

I had precious few dice to roll for exploration, so I was glad to get double 4's, an extra dice next game. Hoping for a big shot at glory next game, I spent all my rare item rolls on mordheim maps (to add to my collection) and came up with my first accurate map of the campaign (three rerolls on the next exploration phase) with the help of Grabthroat's jewels attracting merchants. Those jewels were from five-of-a-kind 3's, and let him add one to his rare checks.

I dipped into my massive reserve of gold and bought a new henchdwarf named Ironbeard. All in all, the game had been a decided loss that could have been a bit worse, yet I had managed to set myself up for a good exploration phase on the next game, and perhaps another shot at rolling for the magical artifact that my warband's been after.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2015 - 2:17

OH WELL, you can't win them all. Apparently you do better in the snow.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2015 - 2:49

For game 24, I was joined by Dave and his pistol-wielding mercenaries. We played The Thing in The Woods from Empire in Flames, as I found a catacombs map the last time I played him and promised him werewolves. This was the second thing in the woods game I played, after I had an uneventful game with the undead against some Things the other week.

After our two Old Battle Wounded heroes passed their tests, we deployed on opposite board edges. The things were randomly placed by rolling for buildings, and we each ended up with one right near our starting location. Dave had recently got a youngling up to W3 and put a suit of gromril on him, and sent this fellow to tank the Thing. The dude lost two wounds outright when charged by the monster, but held out, allowing his whole team to charge in the next turn.

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 IMG_1717_zpsa6bc1243

The thing in the woods was the thing in the ground after another six humans shot their pistols, and the hired dwarf slayer huffed and puffed up to the fight.

On my side of the board, another werewolf lept out of a huge building and ate one of my guys. This wasn't a bad outcome: I have a lot of henchmen, and they knew that getting turned into hench-were-dwarfs was a possibility when they signed up.

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 IMG_1718_zpsdf9fd457

I charged in another dwarf turn two, who was also eaten. I was a little miffed when two more henchdwarfs killed the thing and robbed me of more rolls of creating a stubby legged dachshund-version of a werewolf. My mad-scientist compulsions subsided, and the dwarfs began moving toward the humans, the only enemies left.

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 IMG_1719_zps829d4ed7

The humans gathered behind a side building, only accessable from one ally. When I sent four dwarfs on a long flanking motion and started to climb my heroes up the building the humans were hiding behind, the humans started to sprint off to another building, and came right up to my four man pincer element, leaving my main force in the dust.

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 IMG_1720_zpsc406b70b

Thus began a bitter fight as my four flankers were diving charged and my main force tried to move in to save them, again through a narrow ally. The two younglings who dove out the building first at the four dwarfs were overwelmed and taken out of action. As the other four human heroes moved in, I knocked down their captain but lost one of my dwarfs. The main pack of my Mordheim City Code Enforcers started to move through the ally to join the fight, but found a rival hired sword dwarf blocking their path. For two turns he held off my two-hander-wielding henchdwarf, keeping most of my guys out of the fight. As the battle dragged on, I lost another of my four outflankers, and had to start taking Ld saves. I was afraid I'd loose the battle and miss out on exploration goodness, but my last two outflankers took down a swordsman and the humans routed, just as things were going their way.

It was a great relief, especially since not one of my four out of action henchdwarfs died. The only disappointment was that neither werewolf victim showed any promise of getting a cool nickname like "Rex" or "Fido". One of Dave's younglings came up with a hand injury and went down to WS1, which I thought was just a bit funny.

I had kept all six heroes alive, won, and had double 4's from the previous game, so I got to roll eight dice. This was ideal for me. I had a total of seven rerolls possible with two true maps, an accurate map, an entrance to the catacombs, and dwarf with wyrdstone hunter. Five of my six dwarfs had resource hunter, so I could modify five dice by +/-1. With all these outstanding advantages, I needed six 2's or six 6's to have a shot at magical artifacts, and campaign success.

I picked up a handful of dice and rolled a tableful of low dice. My results were 12222345, and I took a little gasp. Using only two of my +/-1's, I was looking at six of a kind 2's, Hidden Treasure. I'd have my second chance to roll for magic goodies. I asked Dave to read off the list of checks for Hidden treasure that ended in a 5+ check for a magical artifact. I started by whiffing the 5+ for extra wyrdstone, got 110 gc, lost the heavy armor and the tome, found the gems, found an elven cloak (which is awesome). Then it was time to roll for magic. I picked up a dice, clenched everything I could clench, and

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 FullSizeRender_zpsc1af2c28

That is the actual dice. I was so excited, I bet other nerds would have rolled their eyes and muttered "nerd". I still needed to roll for which artifact, so, hoping it wouldn't be a 4, I picked up a dice again and

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 FullSizeRender_zps4c52142f

Boom. The Count of Ventimiglia's Misericordia. A magical dagger, treated like a sword, that stuns on an injury roll of 1-3 and kills on a 4-5. This has always been one of my favorites. Now, after 24 games, I had completed my wildest Mordheim goal and found the rarest treasure.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2015 - 2:58

I was all smiles for the rest of the evening. I'd first seen the Exploration Chart over ten years ago and had long dreamed of finding the top prize. I will now retire my dominant dwarfs (they are journeying back home to the dwarf fort, my big terrain project I've been on break from for the last year) and start over with the Sisters of Sigmar models I bought. I'd like to keep playing to with a new warband as the campaing still has interested player and I want to keep having fun with them.

Taking a look back, I wrote up this warband summary for my brother, tying in the campaign to the back story I'm making for the terrain project. Thanks for following along, guys. Here is the summary:

The dwarfs will quit the city, having found the magical artifact that they came to find. Besides the incomparable magical dagger, they also are ladden with a holy tome, a rare 12 elven cloak, two more suits of gromril armor, gems and jewels, and piles of money (about 500 gc). The treasure hunters were successful to the extreme, and can return to the dwarf fort with the investment in the expedition repaid and loot to add to the fort's stores. I found success on and off the battlefield, and achieved everything I wanted to. I might play one last match with Dave and Joe, a barroom brawl, to celebrate the occasion.

A moment of reflection is due. One this day, about a year ago, seven dwarfs (lolz) set forth. There were four heroes and three local recruits hired on (beardlings), cleverly posing as the Mordheim City Code Enforcers. Over time, 17 more dwarfs were called for from the mountain and joined the fight in the city. Two of these were raised up to be heroes, Flash the homicidal and Cpl. Cuddy the really tough. Three others reached full experience, retired, and were sent home: Grim Orebiter, Albrecht Albrechtson, and the beardling Grumpy, who was adopted into the clan and given a home in the mountain.

Seven dwarfs perished in the city: The thunderer Thunder, Flash's brother; Bjorn Stronginthearm; Bjork; Hammerhawk; Wallas Gravelbrow, killed by a ghoul; and the beardlings Dopey and Sleepy.

14 dwarfs returned to the fort with piles of loot, including the original four heroes that left. Grom Emmanuel got up to three wounds, making him a grizzled warrior and only stronger after his adventure. Grabthroat Shinkicker managed to not get himself killed and survived many tangles with Brian's vampire. Buck gained an old battle wound, our most serious injury, but also learned magic while in the city, a thing unheard of. Tyrannosaurus Flex has always been a beast and is now moreso, and helped kill a young dragon and a giant. The other dwarfs Flash, Cpl. Cuddy, Bal Rockheaver, Marsn Grimtooth, Cheery Littlebottom, Knuckles Ironbeard, Kneebiter, Rhys Rhyson, Grag Hamcrusher, and Minty Rocksmacker survived many adventures. The halfling scout Billy Bo reached full experience and maxed S and T, despite being a favorite target for bows.

I'll take the dwarfs out from time to time in the future, I think, but it's good to be done for now. I'll paint the Sisters up and play with them as much as Dave and Joe want. There is no 'done' in Mordheim unless you artificially make a goal, and I think I made a hard one and then reached it. I can now feel good even if the campaign dwindles. Also, I always told myself that I would get back to the Dwarf Fort in earnest when I had finished with Mordheim, and see now that I'm done with Mordheim for the moment and am indeed returning to the dwarf fort along with my adventurers. I feel like I've finished something big, and now I'm ready to tackle the next big thing I'd left unfinished.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2015 - 13:17

CONGRATULATIONS! The Little Lads can march proudly albeit slowly back to the Fortress. Have FUN with the Holy Babes!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
christian
General
General
christian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2015 - 13:54

Love the Dwarf fort!
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Apr 2016 - 3:50

Mordheim Day will dawn again!

We are getting ready to run the Vampire Hunters in a few weeks, and we've been working feverishly to bring Weaver's dream to life in Washington. I'm serving as the GM, so I've been painting bad guys and making terrain for a while now. Here is part of what I've done:

City Walls! Nachtdorf, the setting for this campaign, needs sturdy walls to hold back the vampire menace. I ordered a mold from England to help me mass produce wall section. Never used something like this before, but it seemed easy and high quality. I was right:

Setting the first section:
mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 APLACB9

About 100 sections later:
mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 NhX0op7

How the walls will look once done:
mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 TVTAXtH

I'm excited to run this game, and will keep you posted as more progress is made!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Apr 2016 - 12:31

GOOD LUCK with the game. Keep us posted with the developments...the modeling/painting part looks TERRIFIC!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2016 - 19:42

The walls are going up at furious speed to protect Nachtdorf!

There are removable sections to show damaged or repaired parts:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 JvdPc40

I slapped together two towers for the corners that will be represented on the board:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 MwC9n5Z

And here is the very speedy paint job I just finished this morning:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 9oPDEpk

I still have a few minis to paint and some terrain to finish for Saturday. Will I finish in time??

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2016 - 20:03

I LOVE the way the walls & gatehouse are turning out. I really enjoy your building style. Keep up the OUTSTANDING WORK; the end is in sight!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2016 - 21:15

Thanks Deaf!
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Apr 2016 - 16:45

The first stage of the Nachtdorf campaign was a great success!

We played the first part of our Vampire Hunters campaign on Saturday and everything went wonderfully. We had lots of table space to set up our boards, lots of printouts for rules and rosters and references, and lots of cool models and terrain.

I was the GM, and we had our regulars Daniel playing Middenheimers, Joe playing Kislevites, Dave playing sisters, and Brian playing Marienburgers. We got through the first three days and nights and fought four engagements. Two of the five coffins which are the focus of the campaign were found and destroyed. The big showdowns, the town attacks, did not happen yet.

Here is a picture of the mostly-finished walls:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 HSl1pMo

These were never really used as the town wasn't attacked, but it was excellent to have them on site and all assembled (not all assembled in this picture).

Here is a picture of the church my brother Daniel made. It isn't fully painted in this picture. He used a 3D printer to get the windows mass produced:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 47sulkh

I painted up a ton of models for the town militia and suchlike. Here we have the burgermiester, the militia captain, the leutenant and a bunch of militiamen and soldiers. Also, several hired swords I press-ganged into service. We eneded up having a ton of soldiers through some lucky cards and very few militia:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 TZKqVrr

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Ow6HtDB

I painted a bunch of skeletons who definitely got used a lot for the bad guys:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 ImGPujT

We made tons of terrain as well, including these hills, a necromancers tower, 4x8 game boards, and a city's worth of tiled ground:

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 JXXRf5t

Last edited by Saluksic on Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 3:06; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Apr 2016 - 17:45

At least for moi, there is something wrong with your photos; i.e., I just get the broken image icon.   Sad
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Apr 2016 - 18:02

Oh no! I posted it all on my phone, so I'll check it when I'm back at my computer.

I had so much fun playing this game. It really was the best.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2016 - 6:08

Here are some better pictures of the walls and the church all painted up. This is a setup of the whole city with NPC's on the walls and all of our Vampire forces arrayed near the Dark Tower my brother built.

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 EWv1VBX

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 GBxvjLL

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 J2iOBIO

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 MtzEBVB

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 E8hSiiV
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jun 2016 - 23:53

We played day 4 of the Vampire Hunters campaign! It was very eventful.

The day of battle dawns! The elves, Russians, and Marianburgers set out to the shadow tower and met the forces of the vampires head on. It was a cloudy day and the tragedy of the town attack was unfolding unbeknownst to our heroes as they surveyed the field. Half the coffins and grave guard were underground in the catacomb of the (absent) necromancer's tower. A single senschelle served as the undeads' leadership. It seemed some other attention had drawn the bulk of Vlad's forces away.

The small and dispersed grave guard and zombies (who continuously spawned from a subplot) were swept aside. Coffins were spilled open, traveling treasure. Trouble didn't start until two young bloods of Joe's were chopped up by the senschelle (hand injury and miss a game). Brian lost a dude who recovered. Finding a minor vamp but hedged in by zombies, one of Daniels heroes went down (full recovery).

Then, Brian's dudes found Vlad's coffin!

Vlad was not at home, but one of our heroes had holy water and we traced the traditional dickbutt in it. Daniel has two skills to give his heroes after leveling up is done. A bard was found in the mist during post battle. Three warrior priests of Sigmar were hired and will arrive next day, now everyone has one. 7 treasure rolls gave a minor magic potion and weapon, plus lots of gold. Moral is up 3.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jun 2016 - 0:00

Meanwhile…

A town attack occurred! Only the Sisters and one or two heroes from the other warbands were home making supplies, and it would have been grim if not for the large amounts of soldiers and militia.

It was a dark and stormy night! The battle was one of the two town attacks that can occur during the day. There are 16 more days left and only one of them is a town attack. 17 more nights exist, and all five of the town attacks for night are still in the deck.

The battle was costly. Daniel lost one of his heroes, and two of the town's soldiers also died. In addition, a slew of townsfolk were killed when enemies entered buildings, which dropped the moral very low (the game ends if the moral gets to zero). If not for the successes in the coffin hunts it would only be at three.

Not all was bad, however. Most of the combatants survived and heaps of undead were made deader, which ought to help XP. Also, Bonecaller, the necromancer hero for the Vampire Forces, was killed dead by a crossbow. He will trouble the town no more.

Ladders and holes in the walls were used to great effect against the town ethereal creatures and bats (newly introduced) were hard for the defenders to deal with, and a mind-controlling vampire caused many shananigans. The very poorly roles leadership tests for NPC and players ultimately caused the rout.

The next campaign turn will have to be spent healing bitten and building walls, but the worst has happened and the gang is hanging on for now.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Jun 2016 - 1:08

The Game sounds TERRIFIC & it certainly looks WONDERFUL. OUTSTANDING WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jun 2016 - 3:28

Thanks for the campaign update. I loved the original write up Jim Weaver did, glad you are doing something similar. I'm always curious about how others do campaigns.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jul 2016 - 22:46

"Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-Nachtdorf!"

We got back together on Sunday and played another round of Jim Weaver's "Vampire Hunters" campaign. I am the GM, and four of my friends are playing with me. So far, they've done quite well and have found three of the five coffins needed to win the game.

We started by running night 4. They had just lost a town attack during the day, so they were anxious not the be caught off guard again. Everyone stayed in town for the night, except for two scouts who went off to patrol. The rest of the gang slept, while the soldiers and militia guarded the town. The night event was a buff to zombies, a rise in vampyric influence in the one remaining nearby coffin location, and another necromancy spell for me. The spell was an increased number of bitten, which I played. We were required to roll a whole bunch of dice to determine bitten, but I'm pretty sure I forgot to double thr number due to the players losing the town attack. Too bad. As it turns out, the number of bitten rose to 12. One bitten was 'turnt', dropping town moral to 5.

Day 5 saw the return of the shopping trip that had set out, and had come back with a mess of priests. Now every warband had a hired priest, in addition to the NPC priest in town and the Sisters of Sigmar Matriarch. Still concerned for the state of the town, again everyone elected to stay in town, mostly to help fix the crumbling walls. The day event was a beautiful day, which bumped the moral back up to 6.

Almost all the workers in town and a bunch of heroes set about the walls. Most all the heroes passed their Ld tests, and all three wall segments were improved. Out of 25 points, the walls are at 15, 9, and 6 points.

The gaggle of priests managed to heal four of the bitten, one of which was of their number. A new member of the militia was trained, and came out with BS 3 (the test to train him was passed by more than one). It was generally a good day, if an unexciting one. The walls should start getting repaired in two days, which will help the town survive attacks.

Which is why it's a shame the attack happens now! Night 5 is a town attack, the second attack in as many days, and the first to occur at night. The town's scouts were out and about and passed their tests to raise the alarm, but I'm afraid even that won't save the poor fools. I've already drawn up the attacking forces, and it is a fearful conglomeration. I used my last spell to raise the influence in Schattenwald to the maximum of three, and have been rewarded with a ghoul king, who will be joining this fight. Furthermore, all three of the mistresses have been summoned (I think one has to miss this game due to injury, though). The attacking ranks are mostly grave guard and zombies, although I have fell bats and ghosts to confound the enemy and eat their support troops. Bolstered by some excellent rolling on the bonuses (triples and quadruples) tables, I'm bringing a good stock of ladders to help my guys over the walls, plus a stone thrower to damage the town moral as the battle goes on. I'd feel pretty good about my chances even without the walls damaged, but with three gaping holes waiting for my hosts to march into, I am already cackling in an evil manner thinking about my impending victory!!

(We'll resolve the town attack on Sunday morning. I'll try and remember to post good pictures!)
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2016 - 22:10

The second town attack was defeated! I began with such high hopes, too. The weather was windy (-1 to hit with non-black powder), and I used a necromancy card (one-time spells I get randomly) to raise the vampiric influence in one of the five game regions to maximum, allowing me to recruit the Ghoul King into my forces. He's a heavy hitter, and the only un-lockable character I'm likely to get since the player are doing well.

Using the number of players, the amount of vampiric influence there is, and the weather, I get a certain amount of dice to generate my forces (I've significantly modified Weaver's generation table). These dice can also trigger little bonuses for triples and quadruples, and I racked up several of these:
111 - two siege points (I spend these on ladders, rams, etc)
333 - extra core group (henchmen) randomly appears
4444 - reinforcements on 5+
6666 - 4 siege points

I turn three dice that would be used to generate henchmen into 6 siege points. I buy six ladders and one stone thrower, which can kill citizens and lower town moral at a distance.

Roll thrice on bad guy HQ table with the high result of my generation dice. Get all three mistresses (one had to miss a game, replaced by a minor vamp), spend one on Ghoul King (comes with D3 ghouls). Spend last one doubling up to 14 core units.
My total force is:
4 zombie groups
2 ghoul groups
5 grave guard (3 of whom include senechal)
1 wolf
1 bat
1 cairn wraith
1 random group at end of deployment
Two mistresses, a minor vamp, ghoul king, senechal, stone thrower, and some ladders.

We had a three-pronged attack, with 5 grave guard, 4 zombies, 2 ghouls, 2 wolf, a bat and a ghost units, plus two mistresses and a minor vamp.

There was a stone-thrower and six ladders as well. I had rolled triple 1's and 3's and quadruple 4's and 6's giving me six points to buy seige equipment, an extra unit of henchmen, and reinforcements on a 5+.

All bad guys were dispersed randomly, but attacked one of the three gaps. On the city's right was the bulk of my forces, with the stone thrower, a minor vamp, and a mess of dudes. The ghoul king (unlocked by my last necromancy spell) and some more zombies headed over to joint them. The center had a bat, ghost, and zombies charge into the defenders. On the city left were the two mistresses and a pack of wolves, with a few grave guard.

The defenders put their bear and troll, matriarch and two other captains in the gap in the center. Their right was held by a canon on the walls, a bunch of militamen, sisters, and three elven heroes on horses. Two other horses were in the middle of town, many of Joe's guys held the left wall, the soldiers manned the left gap, and a few archer elves were guarding bitten.

The battle started with a stone thrower killing two civilians, lowering the moral to three! The defenders guessed its location after sallying their horses towards it, shooting their cannon and damaging it. The horses led the sisters, militia and some Kievites to start chopping down undead, with the help of Ft. Chuck's Hearts of Steel spell. Their was a torch by the ghoul king, which allowed archers on the walls to take a few wounds off it before the torch was torn down.

The attack in the middle became a stalemate as the bat was killed by Brian's shopper, the ghost was locked in combat with the troll (neither could hurt the other), and the zombies took forever to die.

On the left the soldiers went to charge towards the wolves, but were surprised as more showed up as reinforcements. The mistresses (harpy-lady and wolf-lady) made quick time in closing with the foolish soldiers, too. All the soldiers but one were nommed.

The canon destroyed the stone thrower before it did any more damage, and the sally on the right rolled up the undead forces. Dave's priest got off his Hammer of Sigmar and started smashing shit, while Blundercloud used his lance and sigmarite warhammer to pile up corpses. The ghoul king was felled by sisters' hammers, and the auger started a killing spree that would end at 5. The undead never had much luck, but were slow to die, so that Blunder was never able to move to the left, where things were more critical.

In the center all the undead eventually redied, with help from the matriarch's heart of steel and the bard. They moved to intercept a group of ghouls climbing the walls in the center-left, and managed to get close enough to shoot them with pistols while they were still on the walls. A ghost showed up as reinforcements there, but would have been short work for the powerful group that was making its way along.

On the left the flying baddies got on the walls and nommed two to Joe's dudes. Harrasing fire from the windows of buildings eventually killed the vamp (injury result 66) and harpies. Mad jack and some other elfelk hit the four wolves coming into the city and killed them outright, then did the same to two grave guard in the gap. The franzied Jack then had to continue his charge into the group of ghouls and wolves who were killing the last soldier. He survived being charged by three foes and knocked down before getting back up. The last mistress was entering town when more elfelk arrived and we called the battle.

MVP = Mad Jack and the Auger. Also the elves and Kieslivites shooting from windows.

We had no random events, and the windy weather didn't seem to bother the archers, who generally rolled 6's to hit and wound.

The most hilarious moment was the attempt to shoot the cannon at a vamp across town. She had just made it on the walls and killed two dudes, causing the gang to panic and decided she needed to die by any means. With no friends nearby, the cannon (having just finished off the stone thrower) was the only option. It was guess range, so the guys had to guess. Now, the board the city is on are 48", the same max range of the cannon. The city overhangs these by about 3" on each side. The cannon and vampire were each on walls, so the full length of the city separated them. The fellas decided that 44" was a good guess, though, and neither the fact that the cannon has to scatter twice nor the 99% chance of hitting a building and potentially causing more civilian casualties (and even lower moral) daunted them.

Luckily the cannon misfired and they were saved any trouble.

The ghoul king came out missing two games and getting an old battle wound from multiple injuries, and the town generally recovered, loosing one soldier and a bard of Joe's.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2016 - 22:24

https://i.imgur.com/FDq16ui.jpg

Here is an image of the deployment, let's see if the mobile version can make this work.
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2016 - 18:16

mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Image_zpst7f0rnnq

^This was the first turn of the town attack, you can see the catapult on the left with the Sisters moving to engage it, and the werewolf dude in the center.

Below we have the middle of the battle. On the left a big scrum has broken out with wolves and sisters and elfs on elks. That fight would last most of the game. In the center the attackers have been smashed by the troll and bear, and pistols and matriarch. The defenders here would have to start running to the right to stop some ladder-carrying ghouls from getting into the city. On the right we have wolves and the harpies of a vampire mistress killing the few defenders that were placed there. The high mobility of the vampires and wolf reinforcements coming in on that side caught the defenders off guard, who had originally only faced a few opponents.
mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Image_zpshohvx8ng

The end of the battle sees the scrum on the left cleared up, with the augur killing loads of baddies. The center has pistol-wielding heroes knocking down ghouls on the walls, but with a ghost appearing to surprise them, and on the right a few elf-elk have arrived and are cutting a bloody swath through the vampire forces who penetrated the defenses.
mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Image_zpsbzkiv4oy
Back to top Go down
Saluksic
Veteran
Veteran
Saluksic

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Sep 2016 - 18:31

After this battle, we played another coffin hunt. I don't have a picture of this, but it was in the last of the four areas ajacent to the town which still had one of Strangulf's coffins intact. The weather turned out clear, so the vampiric forces were limited to about 5 units, which proved no challenge to the massed warbands. A sub plot, on of the first of the campaigns, added a necromancer and some grave guard, but they were cut to bits quickly as well. The battle in fact ended with no players' dudes taken out of action, and all the bad guys killed. They brought along two scouts, which made it more likely to find Stangulf's coffin. It's usually about a 1/4 chance, even if you dig up all 12 coffins in the scenario, but scouts roughly double those odds to 1/2. With their usual great luck, the players turned up Strangulf's second-to last coffin and spoiled it with holy water! There is now only the last coffin in the distant Altschloss, Strangulf's mountain fortress.

Back in town the guys took a day off to repair a wall section and send off for priests. They ended up recruiting three more priests, so each warband had a hired priest, plus the matriarch who counts as one, and the town's priest. All were set to healing bitten, which had climbed up above 10 and were only slowly being healed.

With the number of bitten under some kind of control, one of the wall sections repaired, and only the final coffin left to win the game, the players decided to attack Altschloss and try to end the campaign for good.

It takes a whole day and night of travel to reach Altschloss, so the town would be left with fewer defenders while the players marched off. Luckily, horses and carts would allow faster travel and dudes on horses could reach the fortress the day they set out. 8 characters could be horsed, so the eight meanest fighters (plus all the priests) were left behind as a rearguard while the bulk of the warbands set off on foot. The day and night passed without much event, with the priests healing more bitten and a bit more influence coming up in some regions. The final day the fighters saddled up and joined the rest of the warbands, and the attack on Altschloss began.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Sep 2016 - 1:02

Cool stuff! Thanks for the report.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim Day!   mordheim - Mordheim Day! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mordheim Day!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next