Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders

Go down 
+5
NoisyAssassin
Von Kurst
Seikilos
Mike
Theycallmejosh
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

Trading Reputation : 0

lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Empty
PostSubject: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 3:37

Anyone wanna help me decide who i should play next?
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 3:42

What have you played? What style of play do you like? Which warband interests you lore-wise and to model/paint?

Back to top Go down
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 4:04

All three appeal to me for all those reasons.....

Beastmen:
Great models (from hordes, avatars of war, and GW)
Excellent background
Tough
So so magic
Fighty (especially minotaurs)
Cons: kinda dumb

Marauders:
Great models (from anima tactics, hordes, hell dorado, and GW)
Great storyline
Strong
Good magic
Fighty, but still smart
Cons: T3 on most models

Lizardmen
Great models (hordes, and avatars of war)
Great story
Fighty, but with a bit of shooty
So so magic
Cons: mostly shooty, fighties are slow

Someone point out how one is superior to the other two, PLEASE!!!
Back to top Go down
Seikilos
Veteran
Veteran
Seikilos

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 10:20

Hi,

first of all: I read a lot in the forum but never really knew, what "marauders" are. I only know the warbands from www.mordheimer.com. Can anybody help me out?

For your question:

I only played beastmen so far, but I really like them. But I was looking for a second warband non-the-less, which is kind of opposing to the beastmen!

Because I really don't know marauders, I can't say anything about them. As for beastmen, I don't know what you mean, by kind of dumb. Depends on what you are looking for. The big disadvantage in my opionion is the lack of shooting, which sometimes really suck. But you are a great counter against shooting warbands with your T4 and your high movement. I definitively would choose them again.

For another warband I got a closer look on Lizardmen, too. As I think, they could be another warband, which fits my fighting style. But I never played them, so I have no practical experience. What really is a big "con" imho is the starting T2 of the skinks. Against shooting warbands, you really gonna have a bad time. They are more specialize, I think. Beastmen are: Move forward, kill everything. Lizardmen have some really hard blockers and fast shooters.

When comparing Kroxigor and Minotaur I personally think both are great. Compared to an ogre or rat ogre they really shine, because of their armor save and because the minotaur can get equipped.

Hope it helped and wasn't more confusing at all!

Best regards,
Seikilos

Edit: You wrote, lizardmen have nice models by hordes. Which actually do you mean? I personally really like the Citadel lizardmen and think, I'm going to use those!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 12:59

Marauders are from the Border Town Burning campaign supplement--
http://www.bordertownburning.de.vu/
Back to top Go down
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 14:10

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/minions

The gatormen models here are pretty awesome, IMO

Yeah, the lack of shooting in both marauders and beastmen worry me, but so does having a lizardmen warband with an average T of 2
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 16:40

Unless your campaign is set in Lustria I'd avoid the Lizzies. They just sort of don't fit in other settings.

You also forgot a Pro point for the Beastmen: speed. Most of their models are M5, with the Centigor clocking in at M8! The movement phase super important in this game, and Beastmen rock it.
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr 2014 - 20:00

I've seen all three of your selections in action. They can all be powerful contenders with great flare to the models. You cannot go wrong, but I will lay out my pros/cons as I've experienced.

Beastmen
Pros
- Fast movement
- High Starting Toughness
- Access to expendable animals
- Minotaur is a monster (I have the Avatar of War model with 2-handed axe. He's neat)
- Strong Heroes (4 of 5 have S4)
- Excellent plastic model range. You can still find some of the old combined sets (gor-ungor) that will provide most everything that you need save the hounds and minotaur.

I have played them on many occasions. They are strong and dependable in a fight. I'd say they are one of the most powerful of the GW released bands.

Cons

- No range potential at all
- Low starting Ld (great skill to counter act this though)
- Little reason to take Ungor except model diversity. Our group allowed them to use javelins and made them a required unit in order to take warhounds. This made them worth taking, and I haven't seen this to cause any major balance issues.

Lizardmen
Pros
- 20 Max warband
- Saurus warriors are supremely good fighters. They have strength, toughness, armor, and extra attack with no downside...they are a bit too strong in my opinion, especially for their cost
- Skinks are fast and have fun ranged weapons
- Cold Blooded is incredible in this game (again, I feel this is too good - I suggested our player reduces his starting Leadership to 6 to offset some of the Cold Blooded advantage)
- Naturally diverse playing style with two complimentary unit types

Cons

- ...toughness 2 on Skinks but that is about it.

Lizardmen have a bit of everything and got more than their share of advantages. The appropriateness of their use in a Mordheim-based campaign is suspect, but stranger things have happened. They are perhaps the most powerful and cost effective bands out there.

Marauders
I'll preface by saying that I know the least about these guys but I've seen them played.

Pros
- Very customizable with marks, skills, tribes, and spells.
- Excellent stats on leader
- Fun modeling opportunities with condemned and spawn.
- Great close combat potential.

Cons
- Little ranged potential. Throwing weapons are good but distance is not there.
- Average speed (slow movement in comparison to other two armies)

Best of luck making your choice. Let us know what you decide and why.
Back to top Go down
Shadowphx
Warlord
Warlord
Shadowphx

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr 2014 - 1:23

I would agree to avoid Lizardmen, unless you’re playing lots trees and water terrain. Those are the types of terrain are where they are most suited for. The skinks need the cover to hide and move through to be most effective.

Beastmen are great if you have a lot of cover like trees and tight places. Open ground is there penalty. Shooter Warbands tend to have the advantage over Beastman because of the ranged weapon factor. If you’re playing Beastmen in the city of Mordheim, setup the table with lots of terrain and buildings to pass through.

I haven’t played Marauders. But they seem pretty much like Witch Hunters for tactics. Mainly, for the strategy with dogs.
Back to top Go down
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeWed 23 Apr 2014 - 14:16

I would go for the beasrmen. They can be hard to beat if played right. With a box set of goes and bestigors, you can pretty much get the bulk of your warband right away.
Back to top Go down
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2014 - 2:32

Ended up going to beastmen... Got a gors box from GW, a warchief and minotaur from avatars of war, a shaman from banelords, and a beastigor from darklands....gonna convert the centigor myself.... Ill post pics when theyre painted....
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr 2014 - 3:53

Welcome to our furry, chaotic brotherhood. Best of luck in your battles. I think you made a good choice.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeTue 29 Apr 2014 - 14:51

Well, they are 3 potent warbands.

I always had the feeling the lizardmen are a bit overpowered (I mean, a saurus have a 5+ free armor save and doesn't even cost the price of the armor!! Without speaking of their 4T, 4S stats !). If you dislike to lose I suggest those one. They are quite simple to paint too. A saurus box, a skink box, a Kroxigor on ebay and a skink shaman and you have you warband for around 140$(US).

The beastmen are cool. The model range from GW is very interesting and they can pack a punch !! However, if you are a purist like me, they are expensive to buy (A centigor, Ungor box, Gor box, Bestigor box, a bray shaman, a doombull, a warhound box and a cool leader ... you're almost to 300$(USD)!!)

Marauders are my best. I have two warbands (one dedicated to Onogal and the other to Arkhar). They are fun to play and not overpowered (humble opinion). They offer great opportunities of modelling and you can select your miniatures from a wide range of seller (from Reaper, GW, Avatar of war(those last one are sublime)). A marauder box, Forsaken box, warhounds, 2 or three other model and you're in... for 180(USD).)
Back to top Go down
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeWed 7 May 2014 - 2:05

So, I decided on Beastmen... Chaos Beastmen to be exact.... And am quite glad I did.... My starting list went as follows:

Chieftain with 2 hammers and Eye of the Gods
Shaman with 2 hammers and Mark of Tchar
2 Beastigors with 2 hammers each
Centigor with 2 hammers
3 Gors with 2 hammers

After two games against DirtyHerdie's Dwarf Treasure Hunters, by beastmen were victorious losing one one gor across both games (downside was it actually died)...

A major highlight for me was when a beastigor failed a charge leaving him in perfect charge range of both slayers and a thunderer, which charged the following turn. Through sheer luck, the beastigor weathered the barrage of blows, 3 of which missed, 2 of which failed to wound, and the last was lucky charmed. He then held his own until a gor was able to assist and bludgeon the thunderer after which the dwarves fled.

All in all, these guys were definitely the correct choice... Advancements went as followed...

Chieftain got +1WS
Shaman got +1WS and +1Ld
One Beastigor got +1T, while the other got +1I
Two of the Gors got +1WS while the last got +1I
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeThu 8 May 2014 - 19:17

Glad to see you getting started. Can you provide link to the warband type that allows Marks of Chaos to be used? I found one but it does not have a centigor, so I'm curious.

I bet the Dwarf player is overwhelmed by your movement rate. They will be hard pressed to get an edge over you - their ranged potential be damned.
Back to top Go down
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeThu 8 May 2014 - 23:57

I use the standard EiF/TC beastmen rules, but at the end of the BTB expansion, there is a half page about the eyes of the chaos gods being placed on any chaos aligned warband... They reference possessed, dark elves, beastmen, and carnival of chaos.... Essentially it costs 10gc to upgrade a magic user to a seer and 15gc to upgrade your leader.... From then on your seer gains one of the 5 marks and your leader is subject to the eye of the chaos gods rules from BTB marauders
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeFri 9 May 2014 - 2:03

So you are playing a BTB campaign?
Back to top Go down
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain
Theycallmejosh

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeFri 9 May 2014 - 7:08

Not in the strictest sense.... We have been playing scenarios from it.... Planning on starting a campaign at some point this summer
Back to top Go down
Rhoaran
Champion
Champion
Rhoaran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitimeSat 10 May 2014 - 16:02

Theycallmejosh wrote:
I use the standard EiF/TC beastmen rules, but at the end of the BTB expansion, there is a half page about the eyes of the chaos gods being placed on any chaos aligned warband... They reference possessed, dark elves, beastmen, and carnival of chaos.... Essentially it costs 10gc to upgrade a magic user to a seer and 15gc to upgrade your leader.... From then on your seer gains one of the 5 marks and your leader is subject to the eye of the chaos gods rules from BTB marauders

I will have to check that out. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders   lizardmen - Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beastmen, lizardmen, or Marauders
Page 1 of 1