HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Wed 16 Apr 2014 - 21:34

Looking to see if anyones thought of this for a starting marauders warband....

Kurgan marauders

Chieftain
Sword
Hammer

Seer
Sword
Whip

Champion
Sword
Hammer

Champion
Sword
Hammer

Condemned

10x warhounds of chaos

I hate that I'm -1 to search, but 15 models in a starting warband.... And warhounds getting 2 attacks each while almost always getting the charge.... Thats 26 + d3 attacks at an average of WS 4 and S 4...

Laugh at me if you want, but i think it could be brilliant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Elder
Elder

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Wed 16 Apr 2014 - 22:35

It certainly looks powerful in an early campaign and would *cough* sow chaos amongst your opponents. I wonder if it will hold the momentum though with no skills advances on henchmen, no hero addition, and your opponents growing in skills.

It would be fun though. †Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exterminans
Hero
Hero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 2:03

And your warhounds have to be within 4" of the mage to benefit from the additional attack - combined with terrain/other models it is not very likely to happen for all warhounds at the same time...

However, i too like the idea Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goglutin
Elder
Elder

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 6:36

You can only have 0-5 warhounds...

Sorry to destroy your plans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 7:18

Kurgan tribe can have any number of warhounds

And i could always hire a hired sword to fill the extra hero gap..... Something shooty perhaps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 7:26

Seems like it would be absolutely brutal, but start falling behind pretty quickly. You could mitigate that somewhat by replacing every dead warhound with something that gains experience and let the pack slowly dwindle throughout the campaign.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 7:33

That was my thought as well.... I would eventually need to start hiring marauders, but in the beginning, they would overrun most other starting warbands, methinks... I think perhaps ill try it and report back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 12:31

I recently played a game where my caravan teamed up with a beastmen horde (odd combo I admit). I don't know if the beastmen have different dogs but I was rather underwhelmed by their performance.

Your plan sound very much like a glass cannon. If you're lucky and get everything right it can be devastating, perhaps. But a lot can go wrong and as already stated you have no long term support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 14:14

I agree, but marauders are notoriously a glass cannon... Especially against a warband with a starting average toughness of 4 (like beastmen).... My thought is to overwhelm with numbers, and after the first few battles, replace the dogs with actual marauders.... It is, for the most part, numbers which win early on, and if i have to start rolling for eye of the gods in a negative way, i could very easily lose my best fighter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 14:28

The other thing that could make or break this idea is the type of terrain you play on and how savvy the other players are at using it. Since animals can't climb if there is a lot of easy access among the ruins and rooftops without going to the ground level some games your opponent could just ignore all those warhounds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theycallmejosh
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 14:51

Yeah... It is a problem.... Not too sure how i would deal with it other than have my warriors go after them, wait them out, or devote to tchar and magic them..... Kurgan do get bows, but i dont imagine they are effective
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowphx
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 14:54

Wow, that is interesting. Iíve never seen this on a warband before:

SPECIAL RULES
Pedigree: Some Kurgan tribes delight in the spectacle of trained pit hounds fighting against bears, trolls and other creatures. A Kurgan warband may include any number of Warhounds of Chaos Ė not only up to five.

Has anyone played BTB warbands in Mordheim setting? Iím curious about others feelings on this.
Are they well suited, out of thier league, or it just causes problems?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Thu 17 Apr 2014 - 23:44

I have used three of them including Kurgan Marauders, although i only used three dogs (development of the warband, especially more heroes, is far too important, and dogs are bad in buildings).
But to your question: They are perfectly alright, maybe even a little underpowered (merchant caravan and the undead variant whose name escapes me at the moment). The Marauders were good, but not overpowered. They developed well but did not win the campaign.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction   Today at 20:51

Back to top Go down

Funny idea for marauders... Looking for a reaction
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1