Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Empty
PostSubject: Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign   Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014 - 12:53

Hi,

Do many people ever play a 'pure' Empire in Flames campaign? I never have but it strikes me that there is an interesting element to the supplement that I have not seen in any other supplements. That element is the idea of curses that afflict a warband or an individual warrior and which persist throughout the campaign.

Exploration Rolls
Quote :
(4 4 4) Pilgrims
If the warband is inclined towards good rather than evil... their leader is an Elder of their congregation, and may remove a curse placed on a member of the warband.

Quote :
(2 2 2 2) Herdstone
If the warband is Chaotic, they may leave a small offering of 10 GC and worship at the altar asking either for a curse to be removed (roll a D6 and on a 4-6 the curse is removed)

Quote :
(4444)Gingerbread House
However, there is a chance that the old hag who lives in the house will see this and cast a powerful curse at the warband. Roll a D6 – on a 1-2, the hag has cursed the warband. Until the curse is removed, members of the warband must re-roll all successful hits in close combat or shooting.

Quote :
(44444)DarkPriest
an Undead or Chaotic warband may seek his blessing ... the Dark Priest will remove all curses plaguing the warband.

Quote :
(5 5 5 5 5) Faerie Ring
An Undead or Chaotic warband may destroy the faerie ring and receive D6 Experience Points that may be divided among their Heroes. However, such wanton destruction carries a price – the faeries will place a powerful curse on the warband. From now on until the curse is lifted, whenever any members of the warband are taken out of action, roll twice for Serious Injuries for each warrior and apply the lower result.

Quote :
(444444)Chaos Icon
Choose a Hero to place the amulet around his neck (yes, one of them has to!). ... At the start of each game roll a D6 for the Hero – on a roll of a 1, the Hero has heard the call of the Dark Gods working through the amulet and heads north for the Chaos Wastes (remove him from the warband roster). This amulet carries a powerful curse, which must be lifted for the Hero to remove it from his neck (see earlier for removing curses).

Quote :
(555555)Holy Man
If the warband is not Undead or Chaotic in nature, the old man reveals himself as a priest of Sigmar and offers to help the warband on their next adventure. He can either remove any curses afflicting the warband...

Scenarios
Quote :
The Thing in the Woods
Lycanthrope: The blood of the Balewolf contains a terrible and powerful curse. Any model taken out of action from an attack from the Balewolf risks the taint of its dark blood (note that this only affects man-sized creatures and non-mutants). After the battle, if the model survives the attack, roll a D6. On a roll of a 6 any injuries the model is currently suffering are cured but they are now cursed!

What is your experience with this? Did it add an additional, interesting element to your campaign?

Also, it makes me wonder whether Nurgle's Rot was initially intended to be another type of curse and thus this supplement provided opportunities to remove Nurgle's Rot whenever the opportunity was given to lift a curse. If this was the case then that understanding has been lost in time. However, I believe that treating Nurgle's Rot as a curse would have fitted in very well with overall theme of ongoing curses and in doing so the supplement would have provided enough rules to reduce the crippling effect that Nurgle's Rot can have on a warband.

What are your thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign   Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014 - 18:44

We do play 1/3 of our games in the Empire in Flames setting. This gives a bit of variety, but actually one of the things with the curses is something that especially one of our players is not too keen on. Or well, more 'the exploration chart is not as good as the other!' - I believe the whole curse thing contributes a lot to that, since it's a huge part of the exploration. Mostly our players (including myself) avoid the curse bringing exploration rolls, so we don't have much experience with it. I do think, however, that a campaign with limited access to Tarot Cards & Wyrdstone Pendulums would fare well in the setting as it was intended to, since you would 'have to' take the curses sometimes.

We have quite a lot of experience with the Lycanthrope thing though - and find it to be extraordinarily fun - and once (our of 4 - 5 times) the curse has been lifted through exploration.

About the Nurgle's Rot. In my eyes it's a disease. But you could see it as 'a curse that's plaguing the warband'. I do however not think the intention to mix the two is written between the lines.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign   Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Icon_minitimeWed 19 Mar 2014 - 22:45

For what it is worth, the background text for Nurgle's Rot is that it is an utterly incurable magical disease that not only kills you, but transforms your soul into a Plague Bearer. Apparently there is no cure for it, no way to slow it, no way to remove it, etc.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign   Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Icon_minitimeThu 20 Mar 2014 - 3:43

Yep. It just would have fitted in so well with the rest of the campaign rules (if not the fluff) if Nurgle's Rot was cured by lifting a curse.

I guess this is why BTB changed the name to Neiglish Rot because in doing so they could incorporate cures for the disease without conflicting with the established Warhammer fluff surrounding Nurge's Rot.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign   Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Icon_minitimeSat 22 Mar 2014 - 19:40

A little late.

We don't play anything "pure". But I have added A LOT of curses in the last few years. It all started when I decided to have the warband eat the Gingerbread House. Oh that was a BAD idea. I never discovered a way to lift the curse despite having an Elf Ranger and Tarot Cards.

I really like the idea of the curses but I noticed that Relics of the Crusades modified most of them to only last D3 or D3+1 games. So the curses I use in campaigns now tend to have random triggers or last only D3 or D3+1 games.

One question I have always had about them is do they stack? One chaos player destroyed the Fairy Ring like 3 times in one campaign. What's the penalty for that?

For Karribean, Arabyan and Sartosan Campaigns I use Curse Points. Each time a warband does something worthy of a curse, like killing a witch or stealing the haunted treasure they gain curse points. At the start of every game a Cursed player must roll a D6, if he rolls equal to or lower than the number of Curse Points his warband has accumulated he must roll on a Curse table to see what the impact of the curse is for the game. (A hero may miss the game or an animal may die, stuff like that.)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign   Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Incorporating Ongoing Curses into a Campaign
Page 1 of 1