Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Designing a board using Hirst

Go down 
+3
Von Kurst
DeafNala
nohatjim
7 posters
AuthorMessage
nohatjim
Youngblood
Youngblood
nohatjim

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Designing a board using Hirst  Empty
PostSubject: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Feb 2014 - 18:23

Hi everyone

I have as some of you may know purchased some buildings for our upcoming campaign at Khaos Games starting end of March

Now the models I got I have determined were made using Hirst moulds and the reassembly was simple and it got me thinking about building a custom board for next years campaign. Nothing like planning ahead

Now I nothing if not ambitious I am thinking 4x4 full urban made up of interlocking sub boards to make up the streets and buildings. So my questions

Has anyone used hirst moulds?

Has anyone designed this type of board? I want to be able to setup multiple areas in the city and the boards fit together with streets but I don't want it to be a large grid. So what size sub boards. Some will have to be 2x2 for the docks and castle but what do u suggest
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeWed 19 Feb 2014 - 19:00

While I don't use Hirst stuff myself for various reasons, our own Boreas has been using them for a variety of things, especially his dungeon. They feature in the later pages of his thread here:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2693-my-own-little-corner-of-mordheim

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeThu 20 Feb 2014 - 3:39

He doesn't use Hirst, but cutp has an interesting approach to modular boards--
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7497-my-mordheim-board-so-far-update
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeThu 20 Feb 2014 - 3:58

Von Kurst wrote:
He doesn't use Hirst, but cutp has an interesting approach to modular boards--
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t7497-my-mordheim-board-so-far-update
 I hate to break it to you, Amigo, but virtually all of Boreas' accessory pieces & his entire dungeon are done with Hirst molds. There's a reference with his accessory post on this page:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2693p575-my-own-little-corner-of-mordheim

His early works were all home grown however.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeThu 20 Feb 2014 - 7:19

I read that wrong too the first time, but I don't think Von Kurst was disputing Boreas' use of Hirst, but instead adding a new contender for inspiration, cutp, who does not, in fact, use Hirst.

@OP: depending on what you're planning, that's a LOT of casting ahead of you! But if Boreas is any reasonable indication of what can be done with them (and not, say, the superhuman creator of amazement and wonder that he appears to be) then it should be well worth it! Not that at several points in his log he does mention that the weight of a Hirst-based board is substantial, and even had to reinforce his table to hold the board without sagging.
Back to top Go down
Kev
Champion
Champion
Kev

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeFri 21 Feb 2014 - 10:44

Im using Hirst molds for my board. It's not as cheap as you would think if you use decent Dental plaster. And it's time consuming, but I love it. Its like playing with Lego Smile

Designing a board using Hirst  Hirst10

I built my road with hirst molds and the barrels and boxes are also hirst. Building a townsquare another mold. Its super fun.
Back to top Go down
http://kimsminis.blogspot.se/
jacques
Champion
Champion
jacques

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeSat 3 May 2014 - 18:14

Hello,

I use Hirst Arts molds and I can say it's a fabulous hobby. You can make what YOU want.
It's, as said some people, time consuming, but the results are outstanding.

I own some 30 molds and want always some more. All my budies are fans of these little bricks.

Only one thing to remember : it's heavy. Smile but ... so marvelous !

From a little wall to a giga cathedral, you can do all !

Jacques. A real fan.
Back to top Go down
Interus
Warrior
Warrior
Interus

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2014 - 7:12

To cover a 4'x4' table with fieldstone, just the fieldstone, takes 2,304 tiles, or about 230 casts.

Do you want to cast 230 times for a single table? That's 115 hours if your plaster dries in 30 minutes, like mine. It's not impossible I've made two boards myself and plenty of buildings, but it takes a lot of patience and discipline.

One thing I'd recommend, if money is not an issue, if you want to tile your floor... buy duplicate sets of the floor tiles you settle on. What slows you down is the drying/wait time----
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Designing a board using Hirst    Designing a board using Hirst  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Designing a board using Hirst
Page 1 of 1