HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sun 9 Feb 2014 - 12:29

Ah, the inaugural post in a new painting and converting log. Always a joy! I'm a longtime GW player, stuck with 40K for about 11 years, and been on the Fantasy bandwagon for the last three. Huge fan of crazy conversions and themes, which is great, but doing an entire army can kinda bog me down. It's only so much fun to do a unique and startling conversion for the 40th time in a giant horde of models. I was holding out on Mordheim (due to a massive project backlog), but then I discovered that there is a Mordheim league that just started at the store I play at. Seems like a decent group and a very fun looking game, so here I am.

Going to be starting myself of with a Skaven warband. Always been amused by the furry little bastards, and Clan Eshin is definitely my favorite. What's not to love about crazed and mutated rat ninjas? The models, that's what. Seriously, most Skaven models aren't my cup of tea, but the Eshin models really take the cake. They're...lumpy. So, after a quick trip to my bits pile (I can't in good faith call it a bits box anymore, there are three boxes, a shelf of sprues, and a desk mounded with bits), I was able to come up with an idea that I like. Should be pretty darn cheap to put together too!

Anywho, first test model. Verminkin with a pair of daggers and a sling.

And the start of the Eshin Sorcerer:

Main thing I'm unsure of at the moment is the basing. Going for a cobblestone street effect (with a curb on the sorcerer's base, if that wasn't clear), but I'm not 100% on the size and spacing of the cobblestones. Also, don't know if I should be flocking (probably with dirt, rather than sand) in between the stones to look like mortar or not. As is, that street could twist your ankle something fierce! It may become more obvious whether it needs to be changed after a basecoat and/or painting, but I'll be thrilled to get comments or suggestions up front!

Cheers!

Last edited by NoisyAssassin on Fri 20 Jun 2014 - 11:19; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sun 9 Feb 2014 - 13:29

To my old mind, such as it is, your Skaven are a decided improvement. The fur & the positioning are TERRIFIC; AND they have a certain attitude to them that is fitting for Rat Folk. The bases look fine. Keep up the SPLENDID WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sun 9 Feb 2014 - 14:04

Those are the Mantic Ghouls, right? Whatever it is, they make excellent Skaven and I haven't seen such a conversion on the web yet. I think for cobblestones the stones are a little too far apart. Did you search for images of cobblestones on the web? For the mortar you might want to try flower soil. Didn't try it yet, but got the advice last week and it looked good in pictures (and everyone has it at home, so what do you lose?)
Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sun 9 Feb 2014 - 21:22

Thanks guys! They are indeed the Mantic Ghouls. They just naturally fall into perfectly dynamic and ratty poses, and with the ball and socket join between the legs and torso you can get a huge variety of poses without much conversion work (leaves me more time to sculpt fur!).

As for the bases, I've found reference pics that have tighter, smaller, and more regular cobblestones, as well as a few with bigger more spaced out stone. With the materials I'm using I discovered that it looks a little weird to have the stones touching (traditional cobblestone style) so I'm going to experiment with what I've got now (having tightened up the stone spacing a little from the first Verminkin). Will paint a test base, then decide if it needs mortar. If so, will give potting soil a try. Cautiously optimistic though, as at tabletop distance it already looks a bit better than in the pics.

Made a bit more progress on things this afternoon (certain benefits to being laid up sick). First, the start of a Rat Ogre!

Experimented on his base with a two level effect (sadly, no little path running down the middle, nor any shrubberies) of curb and street, expanding on what I tried with the Sorcerer. I liked it, until I realized that there isn't any texture on the curb level, and it doesn't translate well to 20mm bases (not with paving blocks that big at least). So it was back to the drawing board, and now I've decided to try a brick curb. Thoughts?

Finally, I have a conundrum. In my possession are these lovely weapon bits, which I really want to put on a model

Problem is, they obviously don't match any of the Mordheim weaponry. So what should they count as? My first thought is spears, due to the reach and surprise factor, thing is, spears seem to be a lot of points to sink into henchmen, and a little underwhelming for heroes. I haven't played any games yet though, so this assessment might be off? Possibly a flail? Again though, I'd probably rather have something like a halberd on a hero? Input appreciated on what they strike you as and whether that actually translates into an effective in-game choice.

Cheers!

Last edited by NoisyAssassin on Mon 10 Feb 2014 - 8:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Mon 10 Feb 2014 - 5:27

Sorry to hear you are ill, but you seem to be making the most of it. The W.I.P. pieces are LOOKIN' GOOD.  What a Face 
I suppose you could use the chains & blades as a rope & grappling hook...it's the only thing that comes to mind at this early hour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerposey
Captain
Captain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Mon 10 Feb 2014 - 9:59

Nice start to a warband, I like what you have so far. I would use them as flails, I don't play Skaven but when I do play against them i see that the henchmen are kept as cheap as possible. I like the halberd on a hero to get him up to S4, but most heroes I see have the fighting claws or weeping blades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://powerposey.blogspot.com/
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Mon 10 Feb 2014 - 11:43

Nice job, the fur work in particular, look forward to the first painted eshin!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mazah
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Mon 10 Feb 2014 - 14:33

mantic ghouls plus skaven bits!
I think that your warband will look really good and original
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Mon 10 Feb 2014 - 23:09

Thanks all!

As far as an update, I've got some good news and some bad news.

Good news: Finished a test base, and it came out gorgeously. I can't decide if I want the sides brown (somewhat matches the dirt in between the paving stones) or black (a very classy neutral), but otherwise it looks like a scheme I can stick with (not like the first base I tried earlier, which came out...not so gorgeous). At a tabletop level it looks fine without any flocking work, but I'm not satisfied with fine if there is a chance I can do better!

Bad news: I don't actually have any potting soil, so I'll have to wait to experiment with it until I can hit up one of my friends that does, or suck it up and drop $5. Should also pick up a fine mesh strainer while I'm at it I suppose. But more tragically, I lack a lightbox or anything fancy like that, which means I can only take reasonable color pictures during daylight hours. So no pictures until Sat, as work keeps me occupied while the sun is up (stupid Wisconsin winter!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sat 15 Feb 2014 - 14:19

And Saturday update as promised!

First, the test bases. I think they turned out well. Did finally decide on flock between the cobblestones (it's an old, ill-kept road)

Next, a couple more WiP members of the warband. Eshin Sorcerer got a head and the start of the work on his cloth, and another Verminkin is ready for detailed greenstuff work. Last, the start of the Assassin. Sign will say "Welcome to Mordheim"

And finally what I'm really excited about; I finished the first Verminkin last night!  cheers (I apologize for the excessive pics, you probably don't want or need to see all these angles. Promise I get less zealous as the progress log marches onward)

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sat 15 Feb 2014 - 15:28

The W.I.P. pieces have a tremendous amount of potential & from how OH-SO-COOL the finished Skaven turned out this is saying something. GREAT brushwork, color choices, & basing on the finished mini. VERY WELL DONE all around!   thumbsup 

On the number of photos: there's never too many. In fact a shot or two of the finished Rat Guy looking up at the mini might be nice.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sat 15 Feb 2014 - 19:36

Love the Mantic ghouls as skaven idea. The test verminkin is amazing. Great work  thumbsup thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 20:23

MOAR WiPs!

I've been quite busy over the last few days. Got myself past several conceptual stumbling blocks, and managed to discover that painting a skaven to the 3-color min required to play only takes me about a half hour. Stoked that I'll for sure get to jump into the league at the next meeting (about 2.5 weeks). Without further ado, pictures!

Black Skaven with flail, actually 7 colors here counting the base, but from more than painting table level several of them all look the same shade of off-black

Another Verminkin ready for paint

Couple of Giant Rats

Night Runner with 2x club (not optimal I know, but I really wanted a rat with a quarterstaff...must resist the urge to refer to him as "Splinter")

Night Runner with sword and sling

Aaaand the Assassin. Here he is shown with the brace of warplock pistols variant...

...here with the weeping blades and throwing stars variant. I couldn't really get a good picture of this pose.

Finally, I was at the craft store to pic up more wood to make bricks and found this. Now my warband will have a box to live in! Going to be painting it, possibly making the interior floor into cobblestones, and of course, that floor will be made of metal, because all my models are magnetized. Will be super easy to transport (at least until I hit the 20 model cap including the Rat Ogre)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 21:22

Great update! More pics of the Black Skaven with flail would be nice if you have time.

The warplock pistol variant is lacking warplock pistols...

Are the Assassin's arms magnetized?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 23:29

Sure thing! I'll get some more angles on him the next time I update.

As for the Assassin, that giant warpstone-powered shock prod is the brace of pistols. I tend to play a little fast and loose with fun conversions and what they represent. And arms aren't magnetized (too fiddly for me and the head and cloak needed to be at different angles for each pose), instead the torso is magnetized onto the legs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Wed 19 Feb 2014 - 4:46

The minis & display case look TERRIFIC...I especially like the display case. Have FUN with it all!   What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Wed 19 Feb 2014 - 5:09

Whoa, didn't look in here for a while and I really did miss out. So to get it right: for your assassin you got two torsi that almost look alike except for the hands?
I'd like to know the origin of the "flail" and the nightrunner with sword and sling's sword. I guess dark eldar, or elves, but I'm not sure (and not willing to dig through the GW-hp).
I think the quarterstaff could easily count as a halberd.
If you're not fine with using these chains on the black skaven as flail, you could just use them as weeping blades and call them sweeping blades  geek 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Wed 19 Feb 2014 - 14:15

For the Assassin, I used two different Mantic Ghoul torsos, which actually look pretty similar, but gve sublte differences to the pose (combined with the angles of the magnets and other bitsto really change the feel). Then they each got a cloak from the White Lion Chariot. Again, different bits, but pretty similar look. Identical heads between them (Skaven Plague Monks), and then very different arms.

Flail for the Night Runner uses the arm shown earlier and is from the Dark Eldar Wyches, then I added a pair of chains that had hooks on the ends that I removed (that bit came from one of the Dark Eldar vehicles, either the Raider or the Ravager). Sword on the Nightrunner is also from the Wyches. Also from that kit are the weeping blade on the Assassin and the knife on the painted Verminkin. Seriously awesome weapons in that box.

As far as what counts as what, although I do appreciate the occasional terrible pun (considering naming the warband the Mouseketeers) I actually do want a Black Skaven with a flail. Got a lot of high T foes in the league, so should come in handy (also, it's cheap). Quarterstaff as a halberd could be interesting, but at only base S3 I'm not sure the bump to 4 is worth the loss of an attack?

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Thu 20 Feb 2014 - 22:59

@Von Kurst: Here are moar Black Skaven pics for you. Details are a little lacking given the lack of adequate light and the fact that he still just has his base colors, which are extra dark on account of his black skavenyness. Enjoy!

In other news, I finished building my final starting henchman, a Verminkin with sling and 2x club (quarterstaves are fun to make!)

Also updated the base for the Rat Ogre last night

Aaaaand I swear I have the attention span of a chihuahua when it comes to modeling projects. Got inspired tonight and built a couple of duuudes for the next warband I'll be making: Carnival of Chaos. It will be themed around a play, rather than the carnival style that I often see people make. The story in the warband entry with the carnival as a theatre troupe putting on a deadly play really inspired me. Don't expect much more from these guys until the Skaven are done, but they were a fun little diversion for a couple of hours.

Here is a Brute, playing the character "the Beast of Drakwald". Two-handed weapon, and is holding his mask. (Also, mold line of DOOOOOOM on his foot. Will have to fix that)

Of course, no play is complete without a knave to poke fun at the other characters! Tainted One, haven't decided on weapons. They'll just be strapped about his person. Skull might be a mask, might be the work of Nurgle-tainted flesh-eating bacteria, only time will tell.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Fri 21 Feb 2014 - 1:27

Top job on the new minis. Of course the tainted one grabs a lot of attention but I also like the brute's pose a lot. Only his right arm doesn't look quite right, even for a mutation or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Fri 21 Feb 2014 - 1:52

Wow, so great to behold, love the speed and moves they make, thumbs up!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Fri 21 Feb 2014 - 6:33

You have the touch with conversions. The unique character you bestow on each piece & the sense of motion, particularly with the Rat Guys, are OUTSTANDING. Both the Skaven & the Troupe will be WONDROUS to behold once complete. GREAT WORK!  thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Fri 21 Feb 2014 - 8:05

Oh, man! What a lovely models you got there! Really like the poses!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Fri 21 Feb 2014 - 16:23

Lovely stuff mate, thanks for the extra pics of the black skaven  thumbsup thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Sat 22 Feb 2014 - 17:16

Thanks everyone! I'm having a lot of fun building these guys, and it's encouraging that they're popular too.

@Grimscull: I agree on the Brute's arm. It's got an extra joint in it at the moment, less in-your-face from a tabletop angle, but I'm planning on trying to fix it with greenstuff or redo it when the time comes to actually focus on the Carnival warband.

@DeafNala: I am a firm believer in the philosophy that a sense of movement is what brings a mini to life!

And now for more pics!

Got the second Black Skaven all ready for painting. He's got fighting claws, obviously.

And a third Giant Rat. Here you can see the tabletop-standard treatment that everyone is getting in order to let me play the warband as soon as possible

Just to demonstrate the versatility of the kit, I've gone as used a Mantic Ghoul in the fledgling Carnival of Chaos warband as well (the Knave is a Mantic Zombie, which are included in the Skaven warband too - several of the Verminkin). May I present...the Puppeteer! He'll just be a henchman, so nothing too special in the game. Once I get my hands on some Nurglings his puppet may get replaced. What do you think? Dancing Nurgling, or little skeleton rat?

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM   Today at 8:38

Back to top Go down

Noisy A's Wonder Workshop Emporium of DOOOOM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next