Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Slew of minor rules questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

rules - Slew of minor rules questions Empty
PostSubject: Slew of minor rules questions   rules - Slew of minor rules questions Icon_minitimeSun 9 Feb 2014 - 19:56

Hey all, I'm just about to start playing Mordheim, and it seems as if the rules are in certain places, in true GW fashion, about as clear as mud at first glance. Hopefully there are simple and easy answers to all of these! Going to use Skaven as examples for most of the purchasing questions, as that's the warband I'm looking at.

1). Can a warband purchase Rare items to start with that are part of its normal equipment list? (ex. can Skaven heroes start with Warplock pistols?)

2). Can a hero start with common items (such as a lantern), or must these be purchased in the buying and selling phase in between games?

3). It states in multiple places that models (heroes and henchmen) can only use weapons that are in their warband roster. Does the same apply to common armor? Rare armor? So if I buy a Skaven hero a buckler, can he give it to a henchman later? Can Skaven ever use Gromril armor? And does any of this work differently for heroes that only have access to the henchmen equipment list?

4). Do wizards roll their spell before or after they purchase starting equipment?

5). Do animals count as unarmed in close combat? So would a giant rat give the opponent +1 to their armor save? And what about models that can't use weapons, but have a flavorful description as to what they're armed with (like a Rat Ogre)?

6).  When searching for Rare items, does each hero pick what they are searching for, followed by all heroes rolling, or do I get to choose what to search for, then roll, then if I find it, pick something else to search for with the next hero?

7). Must one-use only items such as poisons be used the game immediately after they are purchased, or can they be saved for a later battle?

8 ). Do Warplock pistols use the normal pistol rules for being used in a brace and for use in combat?

9). How is distance for ranged weapons measured when the third dimension is taken into account? Do you measure the distance across the flat plane of the table, or do you measure the actual diagonal between the models? If the latter, is it then possible to be in a building so tall you can't shoot someone directly below you?

Sorry for the massive barrage of questions. I'm a rather analytic thinker, so I like to iron out all the wrinkles and surprises I can when I jump into something new.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Slew of minor rules questions   rules - Slew of minor rules questions Icon_minitimeSun 9 Feb 2014 - 23:24

Hope I can help!

NoisyAssassin wrote:
1). Can a warband purchase Rare items to start with that are part of its normal equipment list? (ex. can Skaven heroes start with Warplock pistols?)

Yes.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
2). Can a hero start with common items (such as a lantern), or must these be purchased in the buying and selling phase in between games?

Not unless they're on the equipment list.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
3). It states in multiple places that models (heroes and henchmen) can only use weapons that are in their warband roster. Does the same apply to common armor? Rare armor?

It applies to both common and rare armour.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
So if I buy a Skaven hero a buckler, can he give it to a henchman later?

No, henchmen cannot use Bucklers.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
Can Skaven ever use Gromril armor? And does any of this work differently for heroes that only have access to the henchmen equipment list?

Gromril Armour is Heavy Armour, and since they do not have access to Heavy Armour, they do not have access to Gromril Armour either.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
4). Do wizards roll their spell before or after they purchase starting equipment?

Roll upon hiring = before equipment is purchased usually.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
5). Do animals count as unarmed in close combat? So would a giant rat give the opponent +1 to their armor save? And what about models that can't use weapons, but have a flavorful description as to what they're armed with (like a Rat Ogre)?

They count as being armed with claws and teeth! So treat it as a 'normal' attack with no advantages or disadvantages.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
6).  When searching for Rare items, does each hero pick what they are searching for, followed by all heroes rolling, or do I get to choose what to search for, then roll, then if I find it, pick something else to search for with the next hero?

Tell what you search for to whoever is watching (and who is searching in case of any plusses to Rarity rolls on certain Heroes) and roll the dice. You don't have to announce how many and who is searching for what before they actually do it.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
7). Must one-use only items such as poisons be used the game immediately after they are purchased, or can they be saved for a later battle?

They can be saved in your warband stash for all eternity if you wish! Wink

NoisyAssassin wrote:
8 ). Do Warplock pistols use the normal pistol rules for being used in a brace and for use in combat?

Yes.

NoisyAssassin wrote:
9). How is distance for ranged weapons measured when the third dimension is taken into account? Do you measure the distance across the flat plane of the table, or do you measure the actual diagonal between the models? If the latter, is it then possible to be in a building so tall you can't shoot someone directly below you?

There's no specific rules about this, so it's actually up to your gaming group. We played with 2D until recently, but 3D does for a more realistic gaming experience. And yes, that might be the case, even though it hardly ever is ;-)

NoisyAssassin wrote:
Sorry for the massive barrage of questions. I'm a rather analytic thinker, so I like to iron out all the wrinkles and surprises I can when I jump into something new.

Np Razz
Back to top Go down
NoisyAssassin
Warlord
Warlord
NoisyAssassin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: Bronze Tom Bronze Tom

PostSubject: Re: Slew of minor rules questions   rules - Slew of minor rules questions Icon_minitimeSun 9 Feb 2014 - 23:40

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slew of minor rules questions   rules - Slew of minor rules questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slew of minor rules questions
Page 1 of 1