Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Trading equipment and warband inventory

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Major Sharpe
Champion
Champion
Major Sharpe

Trading Reputation : 0

Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Empty
PostSubject: Trading equipment and warband inventory   Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 3:16

My group has started a campaign, and it's my first time playing Mordheim with persistency rules. I had some questions about how to manage my warbands inventory.

1) I have an Elf Ranger with my party. In the exploration phase after the first game, I managed to find a Quiver of Hunting Arrows at a Fletcher's Workshop. The rulebook states that you cannot buy extra equipment for a hired sword or sell their weapons or equipment.

Since I found the hunting arrows, rather than buying them, am I correct in assuming that they can be given to my elf ranger? As a secondary question to this, if I decide to fire her, can I later remove the hunting arrows from her inventory to give to one of my other heroes?

2) How do equipment transfers between heroes work? In my second roll on the exploratory table, I managed to find a magical artifact (All Seeing Eye of Numas) and a holy relic. If I give these to my captain, can I swap them from hero to hero between games? If say, a warband had purchased a hochland long rifle for one of its henchmen, could it then swap the weapon to the captain once the captain has leveled Weapon's Expert?

3) This has to do with ward saves rather than equipment. Can I have multiple ward saves? Say I have a hero with, armor, dodge, and the all-seeing eye of numas. He takes a wound from a ranged weapon. He would then roll for armor save, roll his 5+ dodge, and then his 6+ ASEoN?

4) When does a model with a lucky charm roll his-or-her 4+. Specifically, can a model with a sword attempt to parry before using the lucky charm?
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Trading equipment and warband inventory   Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 3:43

1) No, hired swords and dramatis personae can only have the equipment that they start with. The Imperial Assassin is an example of a HS that has a special that lets you give him different weapons but this is a special rule unique to that HS (and those rules also state that the HS keeps the weapons forever).

2) Yes, you can swap weapons and equipment between heroes, henchmen and your warband stash between games. Obviously as you have already stated, warriors can only use the weapons that they know how to use but you can swap different weapons to them once they learn the appropriate skill such as Weapon's Expert.

3) Mordheim officially doesn't have 'ward saves' as an official term. However, your interpretation is correct that you roll for each effect separately. Generally I do not believe that it matters which order you choose (unless maybe if an item says 'ignore the first wound' or something specific).

4) I believe RAW the Lucky Charm would be used first because both Parry and Lucky Charm activate when the enemy warrior successfully hits. Here are the relevant rules:

Parry:
Quote :
When an opponent scores a hit, warriors equipped with bucklers or swords may try to parry the blow.

Lucky Charm:
Quote :
The first time a model with a lucky charm is hit in a battle they roll a D6.

You could potentially argue though that you can roll for the parry first and if the parry is successful then the model with the lucky charm didn't get hit and therefore didn't activate the lucky charm.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Trading equipment and warband inventory   Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jan 2014 - 4:12

Because I am pedantic by nature and by virtue of age I will expand on a couple of points:

1) Hunting arrows are not only equipment, they are more specifically Miscellaneous Equipment which may only be bought and carried by heroes.

3) With the example given the order of the saves is Dodge first, since Dodge saves against hits. The armor and the ASEoN may be taken in any order, but if the warrior was struck in melee then the armor would go before Step Aside.

4)But of course if you argue that you roll for the parry first, you are defeating your argument because you are admitting that you are doing something first, before the charm that negates the first hit. Also since the rules for parry specifically mention that it is taken after the opponent scores a hit, it seems disingenuous to posit that no hit has taken place. (Since a hit must have taken place if a successful parry has been made.)  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Trading equipment and warband inventory   Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014 - 3:18

I'd agree with Von Kurst about the parry/lucky charm. The way we play it is that the hit is scored, then you roll the lucky charm - if that fails, then the parry attempt is rolled.

Why? Because if the lucky charm works, then there is no hit (he dodges at the last moment, the blow goes off, a fly goes up the attackers nose etc). If it fails, then the hit is scored and the parry attempt is allowed.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Trading equipment and warband inventory   Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014 - 20:47

In my group we decided that the lucky charm only works against the first hit scored even if that hit is later converted to a miss. So, if you *like* you could parry it first, but - parry or not - the lucky charm cannot be used against the second hit scored so you might as well use it against the first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trading equipment and warband inventory   Warband - Trading equipment and warband inventory Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trading equipment and warband inventory
Page 1 of 1