Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

[Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"

Go down 
+2
JohnYoung
AlexBware
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AlexBware
Captain
Captain
AlexBware

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned:

[Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Empty
PostSubject: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeTue 16 Sep 2008 - 19:17

Guide/Pictures of my dipping tutorial - as mentioned in my Mordheim post (see https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/miniatures-f2/my-miniatures-t751.htm#10523 ).

Most of my miniatures are actually dipped in Fanatic Army Painter light and super light shade (the old stuff - not the new stuff called Quick Shade).

1st step.
The way I do this is first I mount the miniatures on nails with flat heads (for fixing rooftops) - try to balance the miniature correctly - ALSO NOTE: Large and unbalanced miniatures cannot be used for this, as I later intend to spin the dip of the miniatures with my drill.

2nd step
First prime the miniature with white/grey - NOT BLACK!
I start painting miniatures by adding the base colors and add some highlights (nothing major). For instance, with the orcs, I used a dark green, highlighted with a lighter green. also the white was painted bone white and highlighted with white also the bronze was painted with tin, and highlighted with bronze.
When painting black, you need to highlight with grey, as the dip don't add any shade to black.
Some colors I dont add highlights to. This is red, steel (i might highlight there after they have been dipped), gold, regular green (not the dark one used for orcs), brown, orange and yellow.
Note however, that IMO blue colors don't look good when you dip the miniatures. Also grey colors has a tendency to look poor with a brownish shade.

At this step I also add sand/stones/skulls/whatever to the base - No paint on the base though at this time (except on skulls, and other features - I don't add this stuff on my bases - only sand).

3rd step
When the basecoat and predip highlights are done, the miniature is ready for dipping.
I mount the nail in my accu-drill (on the slowest speed).
First you test if the minature is properly mounted on the nail - check by using the drill, before you dip - and do it over some pillow so the miniature won't get chipped, when it goes flying (WARNING - It will go far, if not stuck properly)
If its mounted correctly dip the miniature, spin it in a box (WARNING - its real messy, so be careful - if you spin it in a cardboard box, you can do it inside - BUT BE CAREFUL)
I spin it for a few seconds twice each way, then unmount the nail.
Then you go over the miniature with a brush and remove excess dip - the usual areas are the eyes, the mouth, some times from the folds in the clothing and from weapons and armor (unless you want them looking really rusty - leave it on orcs). This step takes a little practice.

Let it dry for at least 12 hours.

4th step
Paint the base (I use black, highlight with beastbrown and a light khaki brown (almost like bonewhite).
Add a few highlights if needed on the miniature (weapons, horns, etc.)

5th step
I add a coat of testers dull coat, as I don't like the shine, the FAP dip leaves on the miniature.

Let it dry for a few hours.

6th step
Add static gras and whatever you like on the base.

DONE

Now the pictures.

First pictures of the proces (these are bloodbowl minis - sorry, I hope its OK)
Base colors/base highligts added.
[Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Frdip1np1
After dip (and bases painted)
[Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Efterdip1ml8
Final result after dull coat (a can of FAP dip can be seen in the background)
[Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Efterlak1ut8
Back to top Go down
JohnYoung
General
General
JohnYoung

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeTue 16 Sep 2008 - 22:34

Nice minis Smile I love the basing too cheers

Now, what I think of dipper is that while it looks great, I think of it as the «EZ MODE TO PAINTING LOLOL». I guess it's a really good way to have awesome results on a large army with little time involved, but doing all these shading and layer yourself can look much better, and more importantly, be more satisfying. I wouldn't use it to paint a small warband or team for blood bowl etc, but I'd consider it for a 2000 points WH army.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/skankinriot
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeWed 17 Sep 2008 - 11:57

An interesting technique AND the results speak for themselves! Thanks for sharing your methods: VERY COOL of you!thumbsup
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jan 2009 - 0:39

Isn't Army Painter just a woodstain?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
AlexBware
Captain
Captain
AlexBware

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeSun 1 Feb 2009 - 14:02

According to the productioncompany its not a woodstain, but a product specially designed for miniature dipping - although some ppl claim its the same as woodstain, I am not 100% sure (also I have never tried dipping miniatures in woodstain)

Fanatic Army Painter (FAP) is a discontinued product (first generation) - however there is a second generation product on the market now. Its called The Army Painter (TAP), which is surposed to be better and a little thinner. I haven't tried this product yet though.

Last edited by AlexBware on Sat 13 Jun 2009 - 12:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeMon 2 Feb 2009 - 5:36

It may or may not be wood stain, and actually be a "specially formulated" varnish.

But wood stain, slightly "thinned" actually works exactly the same.

I know, as I have used it with very good results.

You can buy it in near every paint or hardware store and is very cheap.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
gilzenaar
Champion
Champion
gilzenaar

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitimeSun 1 Mar 2009 - 19:14

I used the army painter to, really worked good, got it with discount XD, and it really looked nice and speeded up my painting progress,
I recommend it to you all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"   [Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Tutorial] Using "Fanatic Army Painter"
Page 1 of 1