Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Old Terrain

Go down 
+7
JoaoS
Kev
Von Kurst
izmerul
Quase
DeafNala
eBadger
11 posters
AuthorMessage
eBadger
Youngblood
Youngblood
eBadger

Trading Reputation : 0

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2013 - 8:32

After drooling over so many other amazing boards I figured I ought to share my own humble efforts.  This is, of course, incomplete; I was moving along nicely with things, then a kid happened and my wife convinced me (eventually) that Mordheim could live in the garage, but the kid couldn't (I still have my doubts).  

As I get back into gaming (and find myself a bit better able to dedicate a few hours to a hobby without fearing the spawn will have gone feral) I feel there are some things I did very well, and many that I did horribly.  I also still shudder to think how many hours I spent casting plaster bits.  Curse you, Hirst, and your delicious molds!

Old Terrain P1010646-1

Old Terrain P1010582

Old Terrain IMG_0980

Old Terrain IMG_1023

Old Terrain 10building3

Old Terrain 32

Old Terrain P1010119
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2013 - 13:45

That is a SPLENDID looking Gaming Table...lots of interesting buildings with more than enough details to hold even my attention. You're going to get lots of comments from our Pirate Contingent about your LOVELY Docks & Ship...I can't make up what passes for my mind on a favorite aspect. VERY WELL DONE!  thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2013 - 14:12

Nice one!

There is nothing to be ashamed of on that table!
Even though it might be a tad too open ground for Mordheim.

My personal favourite is the raised cemetary! Very creative way of tackling that one!

I also love all the small little details like the signs and the posters.

I have to ask though... where did you get those posters?
They seem like a purrfect addittion to the posters I am using on my buildings, and I am at the end of my stash. If at all possible, I like to get new ones Wink
Back to top Go down
izmerul
Veteran
Veteran
izmerul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2013 - 15:07

There is nothing humble about those efforts!!!

I also like the graveyard ^^
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2013 - 15:21

Naturally I like the docks! pirat 

Great looking board you have there. My only quibble is all that gray. Hates gray, I does.

More photos of the docks and ship! Old Terrain 665330 
Back to top Go down
Kev
Champion
Champion
Kev

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 13 Nov 2013 - 15:39

After spending 48 hours casting with hirst art I share both your curse and praise. Once you go hirst you never go back. Smile

Really like your board and that harbour piece looks top notch, really like it. And as people already said those posters and small details really make a huge difference for a board. I need to keep that in mind as I start with mine.

Thanks for sharing, always inspiring to see other boards.
Back to top Go down
http://kimsminis.blogspot.se/
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2013 - 1:21

Wow! Amazing effort there indeed!!

Awesome variety in terrain and great attention to detail! Love the posters, graveyard, clutter and design of those buildings.

You can 'feel' the air in those streets!

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Braxen
Warrior
Warrior
Braxen

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2013 - 4:16

this whole set up is very cool. Like Joao and others have noted, the details and the overall feel of the place is really well done.

Back to top Go down
eBadger
Youngblood
Youngblood
eBadger

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2013 - 6:42

Thanks much!  I dredged up a few pics but the stuff needs a thorough dusting before I take any new ones.  

To answer/expand on stuff:

I don't have the graphics for the posters anymore (I saved them for quite a while, but this stuff is all from 6-7 years ago, and dead computers are a bother).  However, you can find a ton of good stuff just by googling images for Victorian Posters or Heraldry.  Most of it was random, but I chose one or two things specifically (I put the 95 theses into a tiny font to post on the door of the church).  I shrunk it all down, printed it onto normal (cheap) white paper, and soaked it in weak tea for coloring.  Simple and easy, and it was definitely one of the things I think turned out wonderfully; a couple sheets of paper and maybe 15 minutes of work (total) yielded enough posters for an entire city.  

The cemetery turned out well, except for the cliffs (it was my first attempt at that, and I'm still pretty clueless about how to make it look nice).  

Old Terrain IMG_1025

Old Terrain IMG_1026

It was inspired by Pere Lachaise Cemetery, which is similarly raised and accessed by stairs; the tomb was inspired (very loosely) by that of Abelard and Heloise, and was due to have a roof at some point.  The tops of the markers are done with colored paper and very small print; the fence is skewers, toothpicks and stir sticks.  

The canals/docks were the last additions to the board, and introduced more levels; they required all my previous stuff be set on 2" foam supports atop the table.  Not much to them, really; I made a couple molds to mass produce boxes, barrels and bags (some of my own design, some copied) and I sanded a few down to give them the appearance of bobbing in the water as debris.  The shine on the completed section was from a thin coat of water effects; the docks are just craft sticks and dowels glued together in a couple stages.  

Old Terrain 3010915e-4f5e-4aeb-afd7-1d05cdc18f98_zpsee31c878

The boat was a complete terror.  It was laid down with a foam board deck and hardboard keel and a half dozen ribs.  I then applied an outer hull made of stir sticks (Starbucks has the best ones).  They had to be soaked in water, then bent carefully, trimmed with an exacto, and glued with wood glue.  I used a set of small clamps to keep them in place; the process and lack of clamps (and room to apply more clamps) meant I could only apply 2-3 boards per night.  The railing was done with "fancy" toothpicks, and didn't last; when I complete it, I'll drill out holes to put the uprights into for strength.  I also have a few extra bits to add, like a wheel and anchor.  Overall, it was a great success: it's a great impression of a boat, with a good amount of usable space, without taking up too much of the board.  I would never do it again that way, though, simply because the time involved.  Instead, I think I would try to thicker wooden blocks as a frame and use tacks/small nails to fasten the planks in place.  

All the grey is...meh.  Keep in mind, this was a work in progress; my intention was to 1) make enough buildings, roads, squares, etc to completely cover a board with a few options to swap out, 2) add details and some color (roofs!  furniture, rubble, doors, shutters, and so on) and 3) make a plethora of movable obstacles for the streets.  I got about 80% through #1.  However, my intention from the first was to have a somewhat drab, colorless ruin, in which our figures would stand out during play.  Despite all the work, after all, terrain is just a background.  

In person, it's usually the cathedral that people notice, and that's what my friends always bring up when my scenery is mentioned.  It's 18"x24", so a pretty large piece.  

Old Terrain 29_zpse75bf0f6

The doors are functional on a much simpler design than the plastic-tubing one I usually see: I simply glued a bit of dowel to the end of each door and drilled a hole for it to fit into in the craft sticks forming the frame (the 95 theses are on the right most door, and aren't in any of my shots, alas).  The windows are color printed transparencies, of the sort we old people saw on overhead projectors all the time in our youth.  

Also a couple more buildings:

The constabulary, with various public instruments of death (the gallows does not, alas, function):

Old Terrain P1010413_zpsfc9fa17f

And the factory, which is far short of complete (I had some great flying machine models once, and printed out a ton of schematics to drape on work tables and walls):

Old Terrain P1010471

As far as issues, the main one I keep facing is the decision to base everything on a grid.  It's very defining, made creating angles a bit of a chore, and provided an artificial prop to estimate distance.  If (when?) I start on a new round of building, I plan to make a base or mat, probably with textured wall paper, and design buildings to just sit atop.  That introduces other issues, of course (still sorting out how to make a sewer work with that idea, and how to make vegetation and bases blend in).
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeThu 14 Nov 2013 - 13:43

Thanks for the additional photos & insight into your approach to the Beasty. Part of the appeal of your pieces for moi is that they remind me of theatrical scenery, especially the Cathedral. That fits in with your backdrop philosophy nicely.

The Factory has a lot of potential. I could do double duty in a Steam Punk setting. AND the Jail House is just plain cool. GREAT STUFF!  thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
eBadger
Youngblood
Youngblood
eBadger

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 5 Feb 2014 - 7:30

Took a couple more pics of "Beastie" in its current state.  The railings broke off - they were made from 'fancy' toothpicks, and I should have drilled holes for them.  

Old Terrain IMG_0446_zpsd3a0e8ea

Old Terrain IMG_0447_zpsdb44a257

Old Terrain IMG_0449_zpsf281eff2

Old Terrain IMG_0448_zpsb0f64159

I'll be starting work on an airship soon, using the same general construction technique but building with plastic instead of wood.
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 5 Feb 2014 - 10:43

Great terrain pieces! Thanks for sharing! The idea of using tea for poster signs is new to me! I'll give it a try! Again, thanks for sharing your stuff with us! Smile
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 5 Feb 2014 - 10:46

Nice job!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 5 Feb 2014 - 12:05

The ship is a LOVELY creation...she would make a GREAT Smuggler's craft. I love the cargo hold; that's a detail I had never seen done before. SPLENDIDLY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 5 Feb 2014 - 14:00

The Beastie looks pretty good, even in its decayed state. The hull shows excellent construction.
Back to top Go down
Basileios II

Basileios II

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeWed 5 Feb 2014 - 18:30

Fantastic work, as has been mentioned by others. I especially love the cobblestone streets. Did you make them manually or with some kind of stamp?
Back to top Go down
eBadger
Youngblood
Youngblood
eBadger

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitimeSat 8 Feb 2014 - 10:58

Thanks much!  And the cobblestones are done with Hirst Arts molds, plaster of paris, and a lot of free time.

I'll be embarking on a new ship soon (one of the reasons I dragged this one out) - an airship this time, but using similar techniques although substituting plasticard for real wood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Terrain   Old Terrain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Terrain
Page 1 of 1