Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Ultra-Mega Bob
Veteran
Veteran
The Ultra-Mega Bob

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Empty
PostSubject: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSat 26 Oct 2013 - 21:58

Hello guys and girls!

I've been a big fan of Mordheim for the last 14 years or so (roughly). After a long time out of the hobby I've joined a local group of WHFB players and I've slowly been 'converting' them to the idea of playing a Mordheim campaign.

Whilst terrain isn't a problem in a general sense, I'd like to encourage the group to create some multi-storey buildings to give the games more depth and authenticity. To that end I've been practicing creating buildings out of foamboard for the first time, and I'm enjoying myself.

One thing I keep hoping to see though, is some designs for buildings which are simple enough for people like me (first time building builders Laughing ) to follow, but which will still create buildings with enough depth and character, and hopefully with a modular take on them, so that they can be stacked up and taken down as needed.

It got me thinking: surely there's some way for people to be able to pass on measurements and plans for buildings, so that when someone *really* likes their work, they can pass on the building specifications, almost like passing someone a recipe for making a cake! It would be good for the community and would also aid people like myself, who have the material and the desire to make a respectable Mordheim board, but who lack the skill and imagination to get anything going themselves.

What do you say? Does anyone know of websites that have schematics/ flat-plans/ sketches with dimensions for tabletop buildings? Can anyone offer some of their own? I'd be interested in whatever people can offer- I figure it might be a good thread to get stickied (like the 'Inspiration' thread) if we can get enough contributors, or even a few good ones Very Happy

Hopefully this will generate some interest so that we can get the ball rolling and create a good community resource. I'll have a try at creating some sketches with dimensions, then I'll post them up here myself when I'm happy with them.

Over and out! Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
Kev
Champion
Champion
Kev

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Oct 2013 - 4:09

My guess is that most of us that more or less scratch build houses and terrain do it free hand. Going that extra mile and put it in a PDF is not something that helps in the creation process so its extra work on top of the rather massive work it its to build the houses themselves.

I would love to see some schematics myself but the detailed photos some of you put up here to showcase both your building and your workflow helps me more personally. I leart so much from studying them.

Sorry, this might have been a side track of the topic. If someone actually made this it would be nice to see.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://kimsminis.blogspot.se/
The Ultra-Mega Bob
Veteran
Veteran
The Ultra-Mega Bob

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Oct 2013 - 12:52

Kev wrote:
My guess is that most of us that more or less scratch build houses and terrain do it free hand. Going that extra mile and put it in a PDF is not something that helps in the creation process so its extra work on top of the rather massive work it its to build the houses themselves.
Well that is why I think we haven't seen much of it before. It's always nice when you do stumble across things like this though, so I'm hoping that maybe it can become a more regular thing. I don't know how likely it will be for people to have drawings/ schematics etc. to hand, but it can't hurt to ask *shrug* Plus I figured that some people might be the organised type, and create drawings for themselves to use rather than just doing it all from their imagination.

Kev wrote:
I would love to see some schematics myself but the detailed photos some of you put up here to showcase both your building and your workflow helps me more personally. I leart so much from studying them.
I know what you mean and I don't think that there's anything wrong with studying pictures. I always find that despite my best intentions, whenever I start making a building (I've only made a few so far, and they're pretty basic) I always struggle to make it stable enough. Looking at pictures doesn't help me figure out practical things, like the best way to reinforce walls/ corners/ ceilings which can be walked on; neither does it help to know the best way to create a stable 'box' shape for the super-structure, or other little things like that.

Those sort of details are what I'm hoping to be able to collect here in the diagrams and sketches because I always find little things like that affect me when I design and build things myself.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Oct 2013 - 15:46

Quote :
...whenever I start making a building (I've only made a few so far, and they're pretty basic) I always struggle to make it stable enough. Looking at pictures doesn't help me figure out practical things, like the best way to reinforce walls/ corners/ ceilings which can be walked on; neither does it help to know the best way to create a stable 'box' shape for the super-structure, or other little things like that.

Those sort of details are what I'm hoping to be able to collect here in the diagrams and sketches because I always find little things like that affect me when I design and build things myself.
I hate to tell you, but that type of information isn't on most plans or diagrams either. Wink 

If you look at most folks WIP shots they draw their plan ON the material they are building out of.  A line for where the walls are on the base, lines to tell them where the windows and doors will be on the walls.  

You get good joins by:
-Using the proper glue for the material you are working with (the packaging of the glue should tell you what materials it is designed for use with.)  
-Using pins (literally) to hold corners together and reinforce joints.  
-Using clamps and rubber bands to hold things tight while they dry.
-Allowing enough time for things to dry.

Last edited by Von Kurst on Sun 27 Oct 2013 - 19:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyc222
Veteran
Veteran
mikeyc222

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Oct 2013 - 17:01

if you google "terrain building tutorials" (or other such variations) there should be lots of sites that show real step by step instructions. that's how I learned. everything Von Kurst said is right on.
a couple of things I would add would be, if multiple floors have the same layout, i.e. all the same size, cut them out as 1 piece. if you use foamcore, also draw all the walls as one piece and when you cut it out, only cut through one side of the foamcore where the walls bend, and simply bend the piece around. stick a 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch strip of balsa in the gap and you have two walls at a near perfect 90 degree angle.
Back to top Go down
http://mikeyc222.wordpress.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Oct 2013 - 19:56

Links to similar discussions this forum:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t6888-card-stock-terrain-simple-mordheim-fantasy-house?highlight=card+buildings

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t6777-modular-paper-buildings-feedback-needed?highlight=card+buildings

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t6030-whfb-cardboard-buildings-scans?highlight=card+buildings

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t5592-dave-gaffram-paper-buildings?highlight=card+buildings

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t2895-do-you-plan-out-your-buildings-or-just-jump-right-in?highlight=card+buildings

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t513-cardstock-buildings?highlight=card+buildings

I suggest printable card terrain because you can use it as a plan of terrain rather than using it as terrain.  There used to be a guy out there somewhere on the web who made endless copies of the original Mordheim buildings in foamcore and balsa using the card buildings supplied in the boxed set as his plans.
Back to top Go down
mikeyc222
Veteran
Veteran
mikeyc222

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitimeSun 27 Oct 2013 - 20:40

Von Kurst wrote:
There used to be a guy out there somewhere on the web who made endless copies of the original Mordheim buildings in foamcore and balsa using the card buildings supplied in the boxed set as his plans.
That's actually exactly how I started learning to make terrain.
Back to top Go down
http://mikeyc222.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)   Buildings - 'Flat-plans' for buildings (?) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Flat-plans' for buildings (?)
Page 1 of 1