Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Badger's Den

Go down 
+4
JoaoS
Grimscull
Fat Rat
Zab
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Zab
Warrior
Warrior
Zab

Trading Reputation : 0

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeThu 22 Aug 2013 - 17:18

This was a project I built about a year ago for a competition over at TerraGenesis.  I usually build ruins, so this was my first foray into half timber construction.  Also, I play Confrontation, so the things I build are for that setting, though they are very similar in style so totally work for Mordheim. What follows is the write up I did for the competition:

Renown throughout Aarklash, "The Badger's Den" is a frequented stop on the road to Cadwallon. Nestled in the roots and trunk of a giant Quithayran tree, the inn is a frequented stop for Free Companies as they travel to and from Cadwallon.

The inn is made of foamcore as a superstructure, with balsa strips for the timbers, and sculptamold for the daub. The shingles are made of cereal card. The windows were constructed by photocopying a grid onto transparency, then cutting it to shape, and gluing balsa around the edges for the frame.

The tree started as a Quaker Oats tube. It was covered with wadded newspaper to make the overall shape. Then a layer of plaster cloth was applied for rigidity, followed by two thin coats of joint compound. As the last coat of joint compound was drying (after about 3-4 hours), the bark lines were scored into the surface with a pointed stick.

Once the buildings were finished, they were attached to the base and tree. Then a layer of air drying clay was applied around the seams so that it looked like the tree was growing around the building. The tree was then painted with successive coats of brown to light brown.

The woodpile is made of sticks from my yard, and the axe is a carved from balsa with a milliput head. The grass is a mix of Silflour colors and lengths.

The fledgling Free Company in the last picture is the Sister's of Light.

The tree is 45 cm high, the base measures 62 cm x 54 cm. The figures are 28mm scale.

The Badger's Den 9565349351_91b2e22bd4_z

The Badger's Den 9568146426_0f36b07ce5_o

The Badger's Den 9565354917_b2377235fa_o

The Badger's Den 9568147500_a9585ca308_o

The Badger's Den 9568147846_bfd610b0d8_o

The Badger's Den 9568157104_a29ae83caf_o

The Badger's Den 9568148572_f1427bf98c_o

The Badger's Den 9565357991_5b2e9fc91c_o

The Badger's Den 9568155936_16c0a4327f_o
Back to top Go down
http://www.zaboobadidoo.com
Fat Rat
Elder
Elder
Fat Rat

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeThu 22 Aug 2013 - 17:43

Fantastic construction. The tree is awesome, all is awesome bounce 
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeThu 22 Aug 2013 - 20:14

Lovely piece, full of character. And it even has a background story. Like it a lot, thanks for sharing!
(now show us the ruins, that's what MH is all about, right? Laughing)
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeThu 22 Aug 2013 - 22:09

First picture I saw I actually shouted: "Wow!"

This is the work of a true master! Congratulations! Everything is absolutely spot on. I particularly find the tree trunk (thanks for the tutorial, by the way), moss on the roof and timbered house bits to be the most impressive in this piece and certainly one of the best things I've seen in modelmaking ever.

Please show us more of your astonishing work! Very Happy

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeThu 22 Aug 2013 - 23:30

That is a FINE Fantasy scene...BEAUTIFULLY & IMAGINATIVELY DONE! 
The Rackham Babes are LOVELY also.  thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeFri 23 Aug 2013 - 4:27

Wow is right! Really impressive work there. thumbsup thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeFri 23 Aug 2013 - 22:33

I first thought that elements of the house are from Tabletop Worlds awesome resin models but then I read the tutorial and... WOW! I can just say WOW!
Back to top Go down
Zab
Warrior
Warrior
Zab

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeSat 24 Aug 2013 - 6:37

Thanks everyone for your kind words.  It is always nice to hear positive feedback about your work.  I''ll try to get some more projects up here very soon.  Is it better to start an individual thread for each one, or do people here prefer that I start a single thread and just keep adding to it with more and more pictures?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zaboobadidoo.com
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeSat 24 Aug 2013 - 12:18

You could have two threads: one for terrain and the other for miniatures.

I personally like to put all in one thread to keep it simple and easy to follow (but that's because I usually work on LOADS of different things at the same time).

Either way, we will be here to follow everything you do, now that you've showed us some of your amazing work!

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitimeFri 27 Sep 2013 - 22:29

This is amazing. Wow.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

The Badger's Den Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Badger's Den   The Badger's Den Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Badger's Den
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: Gallery :: Scenery-
Jump to: