Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Magic and hiding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
zmorin

zmorin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Magic and hiding Empty
PostSubject: Magic and hiding   Magic and hiding Icon_minitimeTue 20 Aug 2013 - 19:44

Hello, I have a few questions for those who rule that you don't need LOS to target spells. First, do you allow magic to target hidden models or not? Since the rules treat hidden models differently from models that are simply out of sight, this point seems to be unclear. Second, how do you handle spells which have a BS component, such as Silver Arrows of Arha? While common sense would seem to say that these spells need LOS even if most spells don't, I can't find any published rule stating that this is the case. I'd appreciate any insight that people care to share.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Magic and hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic and hiding   Magic and hiding Icon_minitimeTue 20 Aug 2013 - 21:02

In my circle we handle different spells differently. Basically, if you get to pick the target, then you need LOS. If they are hidden you are not considered to have LOS.

If you *don't* get to pick the target, e.g. it is AOE or says something like 'pick closest target' then you don't need LOS and the spell will get whoever is closest, regardless of LOS or hidden or what-have-you. We did make a house-rule that you cannot cast AOE or 'closest target' spells unless you have a reasonable target.

Last edited by Lord 0 on Wed 21 Aug 2013 - 0:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zmorin

zmorin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Magic and hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic and hiding   Magic and hiding Icon_minitimeTue 20 Aug 2013 - 22:54

Lord 0, thanks for your input. Apparently a GW employee once told a group on Yahoo that you don't need LOS to target spells, and my group only recently learned that the 2002 Mordheim Annual says otherwise, so we've been playing without magic needing LOS. We'll probably switch to a system like yours when we start our next campaign, but until then I'm trying to sort through the can of worms that sightless magic opens, and was wondering how other people that use sightless magic do it.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

Magic and hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic and hiding   Magic and hiding Icon_minitimeTue 20 Aug 2013 - 23:01

The interpretation we use in our group is, that magic always require LOS. Simply for fairness. I can't count how many times I've stood behind a wall with my Skink Priest, raining lightning down on my foes, without them ever being able to catch me. We found spells to be much more tactical and interesting after requiring LOS for them to work.

Concerning hidden models: You can't target them, if you can't detect them, but a spell which effects targets 'within' a certain area, should affect the targets - hidden or not.
Silver Arrows of Arha shouldn't be able to hit hidden models.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Magic and hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic and hiding   Magic and hiding Icon_minitimeWed 21 Aug 2013 - 2:55

We always applied the FAQ answers to areas that were vague. For example many spells don't seem to specify how their target is acquired or whom their target might be, while others are quite specific.

Silver Arrows for example says "following the rules for normal shooting." I would be at a loss as to how the Yahoo Group FAQ would trump this. Question 

We were blissfully unaware of the Yahoo Group until maybe 2010 or so and once that particular quote was brought to my attention, it was pretty easy to ignore as it directly contradicts the Town Cryer FAQ last published in 2002.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Magic and hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic and hiding   Magic and hiding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic and hiding
Page 1 of 1