Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Sword and buckler combo

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Ludwig of Altdorf
Veteran
Veteran

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Empty
PostSubject: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitimeSat 18 May 2013 - 21:05

So here's the problem: in my gaming club, there's some uncertainty on how the sword and buckler combination works. There's currently three separate theories:
- The model may take two parry saves, one from the sword and one from the buckler
- The model may take a single parry save with a +1 modifier (with more discussion on whether criticals may be parried on a modified 7)
- The model may take a single parry save at a 4+, but criticals cannot be parried.

Now I have two questions:
- What are the official rules about this?
- As my gaming club gives shields a 5+ armour save to balance them, what rules should we use to balance the use of bucklers?
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitimeSat 18 May 2013 - 23:06

Of course now i can't find where it originally says this, but under the parry rule for fighting claws it says that they allow you to re-roll a failed parry attempt in the "same way as a model armed with a sword and buckler", so thats the official ruling, which personally i've always found to be kind of lacking, but it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitimeSun 19 May 2013 - 20:56

I don't quite understand the profusion of theories about how the sword and buckler work. Do you mean possible house rules or are you guys just coming up with your own rules as you play?

The 'official' rules are found in the Close Combat section of the Rule Book after Armour Save Modifiers:
Quote :
If your model is armed with a buckler and a sword, you may re-roll failed parries once.

A common change to the buckler rules is to give bucklers a 6+ armor save in addition to the parry rule.
Back to top Go down
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitimeSun 19 May 2013 - 22:04

I have no idea how it all got started, but I've heard people defend all those theories...
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitimeSun 19 May 2013 - 23:19

If you need the rules for sword and buckler than VK has posted them. I guess that some confusion comes from those rules not being attached to the rules for the sword or for the buckler but I instead are in a separate part of the rulebook.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitimeMon 20 May 2013 - 5:47

Not intending to imply that just making up your own rules as you go is a bad thing either. Just curious. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sword and buckler combo   Buckler - Sword and buckler combo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sword and buckler combo
Page 1 of 1