HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Learning through doing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Learning through doing   Wed 8 May 2013 - 19:21

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, and its got me thinking about proposing a little supplemental rule for gaining skills through doing. It wouldn't replace the current experience system, just add to it. Stuff like...

- score X# of Close Combat Critical Wounds, and automatically learn "Web of Steel"

- score a ranged hit on X# of enemies who were behind cover, and automatically learn "Trick Shooter"

- If the leader of your warband assists other warband members to pass leadership tests X# of times, he automatically learns Battle Tongue

- If a wizard successfully casts a spell X# of times, that spell permanently loses 1 point of difficultly

- survive being knocked down, stunned, or taken out of action in close combat X# of times, and automatically learn "Resilient"

- Take X# of enemies out of action with a double handed weapon, and automatically learn "Strongman"

- Successfully climb X# walls or other pieces of terrain, and automatically learn "Scale Sheer Surfaces"

Those are just some possibilities. The necessary amount of times for each one would be pretty high, definitely in the double digits.

Anyone else ever try something like this idea at all or have other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Wed 8 May 2013 - 20:58

This seems cool, but cumbersome, as you would have to keep track of these situational events pretty closely, and it would be easy to get confused or forget about them. It's a pretty cool take on skills, and might work with some playtesting, but it's a lot more info to keep track of for each and every hero model.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thetonezone.net
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Wed 8 May 2013 - 21:25

haha, oh i definitely agree. It would be a whole lot to keep track of. I've never really had a problem with that kind of record keeping, but i can understand others reticence to adopt something like it. I would imagine i'd make an additional sheet to go along with the roster sheets for everyone if we ever decided to implement it that would help keep track of it all.

Any thoughts on other possible skills this could be used for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Thu 9 May 2013 - 8:55

A lot more book keeping. but a sheet dedicated to it could work. Some kind of grid with a key at the bottom.

To keep it simple I would pick only a few skills (maybe 2) from each skill category to apply it to to start. Maybe pick the most desired skills from each in some cases like step aside, resilient, and dodge . Why those? It will encourage people not to take them for advancements and people will take skills that are lower priority. Though some may be harder to implement like Wyrdstone hunter would be tricky (maybe get 5 unmodified 6's in exploration) as you would need to keep track of who's dice it was that was rolled.

Question, would you allow skills to be gained that the hero doesn't have access to that skill tree? It might be interesting as a way to further diversify your warband to allow it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Thu 9 May 2013 - 15:10

Pervavita wrote:
To keep it simple I would pick only a few skills (maybe 2) from each skill category to apply it to to start. Maybe pick the most desired skills from each in some cases like step aside, resilient, and dodge . Why those? It will encourage people not to take them for advancements and people will take skills that are lower priority. Though some may be harder to implement like Wyrdstone hunter would be tricky (maybe get 5 unmodified 6's in exploration) as you would need to keep track of who's dice it was that was rolled.

Man, you and I are on the exact same page here. A part of my hopes for this is that it might see more variety in chosen skills, since you could get some of the more desirable skills without having to use an advancement on them, but at the same time, they're still not just "gimmes".

I think "step aside" could be worked out pretty easily, maybe something like "avoid being struck in close combat X amount of times", and that would be fairly workable, since most of the time theres at least a 50% chance that you'll get hit by your opponent. "Dodge" would be trickier, since a lot of the time ranged attacks are hit with a lot of modifiers, so you could end up with one of the most useful skills just because your opponent is a terrible shot, which doesn't seem fair.

Pervavita wrote:
Question, would you allow skills to be gained that the hero doesn't have access to that skill tree? It might be interesting as a way to further diversify your warband to allow it.

Yeah, i definitely think that it'd be cool for characters to gain skills they wouldn't normally have access to. You could end up with Mike, the Strongman Necromancer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Thu 9 May 2013 - 15:45

If you're going this route, you could have the "Dodge" skill come from your opponent missing that model by 1 on his to hit roll.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Thu 9 May 2013 - 16:02

Do you mean you get a point towards Dodge if the person shooting at you rolls a 1 to hit, or that you get a point if say they needed a 5 to hit but rolled a 4?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Thu 9 May 2013 - 21:33

The second option. Your opponent needs a 5 to hit you and rolls a 4, so that would count towards the Dodge skill being received by that model.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Fri 10 May 2013 - 1:26

I like that for dodge. This is s fun idea although record keeping intensive as already stated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Fri 10 May 2013 - 10:11

I like that too. I think Step Aside would be best to work the same as well as they are effectively the same rule so treat them the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning through doing   Today at 10:26

Back to top Go down

Learning through doing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1