Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Empty
PostSubject: Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords   Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 3:22

Just felt like writing up some rules for these guys, as its always fun to get more undead forces in there.

Cairn Wraith

Hiring cost: 85gc

Upkeep: Special

Rating: A Cairn Wraith raises a warbands rating by +25.

Who can hire: Any warband with a Vampire or a wizard capable of Necromancy

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 3 0 3 3 2 2 3 5

Skills: None
Weapons/Armor: A Cairn Wraith wears no armor. They are armed with a giant Scythe (2-handed weapon).

Special Rules:
May Not Run, Immune to Psychology, Immune to Poison, No Pain, No Brain, all as per regular Undead rules
Inescapable Fear: The terror caused by Wraiths is so potent, so all enveloping that even a warrior who believes they have overcome their fear of the creature may still find themselves being broken from the inside out by the icy grip of mortal panic. The Wraith causes Fear. In addition to its normal effects, if an enemy is charged by the Cairn Wraith, they must test for fear every round of combat in which they engage the Wraith, instead of only when they are charged. If an enemy wishes to charge the Cairn Wraith, he must test for fear as normal before charging, and then must test for fear every round of combat as though they had been charged by the Wraith.
Shifting Corporeality: Though ethereal under usual circumstances, the massive amount of wyrdstone poisoning the earth in the City of the Damned has had a strange effect on these otherwise immaterial creatures. While they still don't seem to exist wholly within the realm of the living, they have become far more assailable than they usually are. All attacks against a Cairn Wraith are made at -1 str, and they can never be wounded on better than a 4+. They have an unmodifiable 5+ save. These rules are ignored by attacks made by magical weapons and spells, which ignore the save and wound the Cairn Wraith as normal. Furthermore, the Cairn Wraith can move through walls and other terrain, though they can not see through them. They are also immune to fall damage.
Chill Grasp: The Wraith may substitute all of its attacks in close combat for a single Chill Grasp attack. The Wraith makes a single attack; if this attack hits, then it will automatically wound. No armor saves are allowed against a Chill Grasp attack.
Summoned: Wraiths are bound to this realm only by a strong, steady of Necromantic magic that requires regular tending to insure that the Wraith doesn't simply slip away into the ether. Instead of a traditional upkeep cost, either a Vampire or a wizard in the warband capable of Necromancy must forgo the exploration phase, and instead strengthen the dark pact linking the Wraith to the warbands service.

Tomb Banshee

Hiring Costs: 85gc

Upkeep: Special

Rating: A Tomb Banshee raises a warbands rating by +25.

Who can hire: Any warband with a Vampire or a wizard capable of Necromancy.

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 3 0 3 3 1 2 1 5

Skills: -
Weapons/Armor: A Tomb Banshee wears no armor. They are armed with a Dagger.

Special Rules:
May Not Run, Immune to Psychology, Immune to Poison, No Pain, No Brain, all as per regular Undead rules
Inescapable Fear: The terror caused by Banshees is so potent, so all enveloping that even a warrior who believes they have overcome their fear of the creature may still find themselves being broken from the inside out by the icy grip of mortal panic. The Banshee causes Fear. In addition to its normal effects, if an enemy is charged by the Banshee, they must test for fear every round of combat in which they engage the Banshee, instead of only when they are charged. If an enemy wishes to charge the Banshee, they must test for fear as normal before charging, and then must test for fear every round of combat as though they had been charged by the Wraith.
Shifting Corporeality: Though ethereal under usual circumstances, the massive amount of wyrdstone poisoning the earth in the City of the Damned has had a strange effect on these otherwise immaterial creatures. While they still don't seem to exist wholly within the realm of the living, they have become far more assailable than they usually are. All attacks against a Banshee are made at -1 str, and they can never be wounded on better than a 4+. They have an unmodifiable 5+ save. These rules are ignored by attacks made by magical weapons and spells, which ignore the save and wound the Banshee as normal. Furthermore, the Banshee can move through walls and other terrain, though they can not see through them. They are also immune to fall damage.
Ghostly Howl: A Ghostly Howl is a special attack that can used against a single enemy unit in the shooting phase, even if the Banshee has charged, or is engaged in close combat. This attack has a range of 8" and needs line of sight to its target. If the Banshee is engaged in combat, her ghostly howl can only target an enemy in base contact.

To resolve a ghostly howl, the Banshee played rolls 1D6+1 and adds the result to the Banshees leadership, and the opposing player rolls 1D6, and adds the result to the targets unmodified leadership (special rules such as being in range of the warband leaders "Leader" ability have no effect). For each point that the Banshee players result beats the target, the target suffers 1 wound with no armor save allowed, including saves afforded by Step Aside and Dodge. This is a magical attack.
Summoned: Banshees are bound to this realm only by a strong, steady of Necromantic magic that requires regular tending to insure that the Banshee doesn't simply slip away into the ether. Instead of a traditional upkeep cost, either a Vampire or a wizard in the warband capable of Necromancy must forgo the exploration phase, and instead strengthen the dark pact linking the Banshee to the warbands service.
Back to top Go down
Soulblight
General
General
Soulblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords   Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 11:03

Personally, i feel the seem a bit too hard to kill. -1 to hit, the wound on 4+ and save seems a bit too over the top. And, (too my mind) its not common with magical weapons other that the Simgmarite Hammer.

However, ive not even played 2 games of this fine game and should be considered as a noob in pure gameplay.
I do however like your idea with the HS and i can see the reason behind it. I mean, it feels like Ghosts and evil spirits is more common in Mordheim than a friendly neightbour...

Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords   Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 15:03

Maybe they should be for special scenarios, rather than Hired Swords?

I really like what you've done here though - both are very nice models and deserve a role in Mordheim! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords   Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 22:08

Soulblight wrote:
Personally, i feel the seem a bit too hard to kill. -1 to hit, the wound on 4+ and save seems a bit too over the top. And, (too my mind) its not common with magical weapons other that the Simgmarite Hammer.

However, ive not even played 2 games of this fine game and should be considered as a noob in pure gameplay.
I do however like your idea with the HS and i can see the reason behind it. I mean, it feels like Ghosts and evil spirits is more common in Mordheim than a friendly neightbour...

Its actually -1 str, not -1 to hit. I felt like them being hard to kill is one of the defining features of Wraiths and Banshees, and it wouldn't feel right if they weren't. I'm open to suggestions for other ways to go about it though. As far as magic weapons, theres also the magic items you can find through exploration like The Bow of Seeking and The Count of Ventimiglias Misericordia, or any other magic weapons that we might end up creating.

WarbossKurgan wrote:
Maybe they should be for special scenarios, rather than Hired Swords?

I really like what you've done here though - both are very nice models and deserve a role in Mordheim! Very Happy

They would certainly work for that, though i'm drawing a blank on ideas for basing a whole scenario around them.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords   Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 22:22

Quote :
They would certainly work for that, though i'm drawing a blank on ideas for basing a whole scenario around them.

See the Cry of the Banshee, TC#18 and A Night in the Graveyard TC#19, although the Wraith in A Night... is unarmed.

A Cairn Wraith seems more suited to an Empire in Flames kind of scenario...

Otherwise I like the idea of undead HS as it gives the warband more unique choices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords   Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee Hired Swords
Page 1 of 1