Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pistols in Close Combat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Combat - Pistols in Close Combat Empty
PostSubject: Pistols in Close Combat   Combat - Pistols in Close Combat Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 11:34

Hello out there!

I have two questions which I would like some opinions on. First question is how Resilient works vs. a Pistol shot. I know what the rules say, but they doesn't make sense in this specific case. In my opinion a shot at close range (melee) shouldn't be worse than a shot at short range, which is why pistols ignore the Resilient rule in our house rules. However, this gives some balancing issues imo. How do you handle this in your own games?

Second question is how to handle yet another 'unbalance', which is the dual-wielding modifier a lot play with to balance two hand weapons. Again, we found it strange, that pulling the trigger with the left hand should be so much harder than with the right hand (I don't live in the U.S. though, so I wouldn't know much about it), compared to fighting with another melee weapon in your 'off-hand'. However one could probably argue, that the dual-wielding modifier should apply to pistols as well, since it might be a bit harder to hit. At the moment we don't play with a modifier on this, making pistols very strong in our campaign (though they don't shine as much as they theoretically would anyway), when put together with the 'ignore resilient'. The question here is whether to 'f**k logic', and just go with it strictly by our rules, or find another solution?

Hope someone can assist with this Razz
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pistols in Close Combat   Combat - Pistols in Close Combat Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 15:45

Quote :
How do you handle this in your own games?

We play it as written. We have not worried about the sense of the rule, as that way leads to madness, I mean you have magic and self-loading wheel-lock pistols...

Isn't the dual wielding thingy supposed to be a 'balancer'? Or is it a realism thing? I always get that confused too. Again we just don't worry about the whole dual wielding thing, which solves the problem.

If you DO worry about the dual wielding thing, then I would suggest consitency, i.e. it applies to firing 2 pistols as well. This makes realistic sense as firing 2 pistols at once is notoriously inaccurate even with modern weapons.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Pistols in Close Combat   Combat - Pistols in Close Combat Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 20:48

One of the guiding principles that my group uses is that Mordheim is a game, not a simulation. Sometimes you just have to accept a few odd occurrences for the sake of consistent abstraction. There is a sliding scale of accuracy vs simplicity and where your group falls on that scale is better known to you than to us, but in the context of Mordheim I would recommend going with the simplicity.

You can always bend the flavour text to match the rules, for example resilient will apply in melee with pistols, but not from range because in melee you have the opportunity to push the barrel aside. The resilience reflects the fact that you don't have to push the barrel so far out of line before you are getting a flesh-wound or graze instead of a real significant hit.

Pulling the trigger is just as easy with the left as the right, but *aiming* is a whole different matter. If you are introduing rules that apply to the off-hand then there is no reason they should not apply to pistols just as much as they apply to any other weapon.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Pistols in Close Combat   Combat - Pistols in Close Combat Icon_minitimeTue 14 May 2013 - 17:10

Thanks for your responses!

We've agreed on adding the dual-wielding modifier to pistols, so that's a start. The Resilient haven't been decided yet, but we'll get there Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pistols in Close Combat   Combat - Pistols in Close Combat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pistols in Close Combat
Page 1 of 1