Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Two new oriental hired swords

Go down 
+2
Admin Tom
Horatius
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Two new oriental hired swords Empty
PostSubject: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2008 - 11:20

Ninja Ogre

90 gold coins to hire + 30 gold crowns upkeep

M6 Ws4 Bs2 S4 T4 W3 A2 Ld7

Weapons/Armour: Two Katana's, Light Armour

Skills: A ninja ogre may choose from the combat, strength,speed and Nippon skills when he gains new skills

Fear: Ninja Ogres are large, ugly and threatening creatures that jump out and attack from behind (Like Luke Croxon!). The Ninja Ogre causes fear.

Large Target: Ogres are Large Targets as defined in the shooting rules.

Infiltrate: After years of training the ogre has perfected the art of stealth (at least for an ogre!). He has the infiltrate special rule from the skaven skill list.

Dwarf Samurai

30 gold coins to hire + 15 gold crowns upkeep

Rating: A Dwarf Samurai increases the warband’s rating by 12 points plus 1 point for each Experience point he has.

M3 Ws4 Bs4 S3 T4 W1 I2 A1 Ld9

Weapons/Armour: Katana, Samurai Armour, Helmet, Short Bow

Skills: A Dwarf Samurai may choose from the combat, strength or Nippon skill list

Hard to Kill: Dwarfs are tough, resilient individuals who can only be taken out of action on a D6 roll of a 6 instead of a 5-6 when rolling on the injury chart. treat a roll of 5 as stunned.

Hard Head: Dwarfs ignore the special rules for maces, clubs etc. They are not very individuals to knock out!

All comments are welcome

Last edited by mrbretonnia on Tue 2 Sep 2008 - 23:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Horatius
Warlord
Warlord
Horatius

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2008 - 16:36

The stats and costs seem fine, but i have never to my knowledge seem rules for a Katana, Nippon Skills or samurai armour so i´ll withhold my final judgement Wink .
Am i right to assume that they will be in future installments of BTB?
And by the way, you are calling your dwarf samurai a slayer Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2008 - 20:53

Hey Horatius!

The samurai etc rules are of mrbretonnia's making and have nothing to do with BTB (although I admit it is very confusing since mrbretonnia's stuff is "nipponese", which is not far from Cianty's "cathayan" world).

The Katana rules can be found in the experimental "samurai warband" rules posted by mrbretonnia... maybe he can post a link? Cheers!

Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeTue 2 Sep 2008 - 23:46

well actualy the list is going through a final balance campaign so unfortunatly that one is outdated (yes this will be the 3rd final release) though I must admit that it is looking and playing alot more balanced.

Katana 15gc/20gc (starting/mordheim) rarity 9

The katana is a unique weapon to the warriors of Nippon. It may be used as either a one or two handed weapon.

One Handed: Counts as a hand weapon and may be combined with another hand weapon for and additional attack. grants +1I in combat

Two Handed: May not use any other hand weapon whilst using in both hands. Grants +1S and +1I in combat.

Masters of folded steel: All nippon bladed weapons have a special rule which Im not going to tell you yet =)

and cheers for picking up the slayer part. thats because I try to base everything I make on a GW rule set (for balance reasons).

Cheers,

Tom
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 6:56

50 views from people who arnt me and 2 responses. If I say it is actualy part of BTB would people comment Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 9:04

mrbretonnia wrote:
50 views from people who arnt me and 2 responses. If I say it is actualy part of BTB would people comment Very Happy

I suggest you don't.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 12:23

mrbretonnia wrote:

it's the way forums work my good man, People watch, lurk about, but don't comment unless neccisary, If you're desperately looking for comments and criticism, this can be annoying, but, if everyone would post something like: Hey, nice job, like what you've done... that would get annoying seeing as it's not productive anyway, and threads just fill up with crap, and the forum would die (that's what happens to anything if you would fill it with crap... - Don't do McD's anymore!)

So, be patient, post your stuff, be aware of people liking it, being thankfull, but not posting.
(Deaf goes by other rules Razz)

Other than that, I like the Idea's Do you have a goblin cathayan assassin as well? (WANT WANT WANT!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 12:28

hmm a goblin ninja? I think I could take a shot at that...This the kind of thing you wanted? I went for a more gobliney assassin that would be more at home in the worlds edge mountains.

Night Goblin Assassin

20 gold crowns to hire + 10 upkeep

It is a well known fact that the favourite way for a goblin to engage an enemy is to attack from behind, with a bow, at maximum range. The Night Goblin Assassins are the noteable exception to this. They excel in the art of backstabbery and are rightly feared amongst the constant waring goblin
tribes.

Rating: A Night Goblin Assassin increases a warbands rating by +8 points plus 1 point for each Experience point he has.

M4 Ws3 Bs4 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1 Ld7

Equipment: Rope and hook, Poison Daggers, short bow

Skills: A Goblin Assassin may choose from the Combat, Shooting, Speed or Night Goblin special skills. He starts with Infiltrate and Backstab!

Infiltrate: as skaven skill

Backstab!: when a night goblin charges an enemy from a diving charge he gains an additional attack
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 17:15

mrbretonnia wrote:
Katana 15gc/20gc (starting/mordheim) rarity 9

I haven't followed your plans exactly for your addition, but is this taking place in the city of Mordheim? if so - If Superior Blackpowder is Rare 11, I would have to say master crafted, perfectly balanced Katana would be even more rare (unless it's only for one type of warband with connections - like the goblins and their mushrooms Wink).

I think the katana is way to cheap (in every way). at 15gc it costs the same as a double handed weapon, has none of the draw backs and 3x better plus points. Not to mention the secret skill we don't know yet.

Honestly, I would price a katana at least 30gc with those skills. It is the perfect weapon. Even if all it got was +1I and +1S I would be all over it.

On the fluff side, if you can purchase a rod of crappy steal with a handle and call it a two handed weapon for 15gc, Master folded steel should be at least twice that. Do you know what a master created Katana actually goes for in real life? a fortune.

I don't do special characters very much, so I really can't comment on them.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 18:03

Did I hear someone invoke my name?Suspect

I'm guilty of reading, but not responding to rules questions;re, they're not really my thing,; they're the area I have significantly less knowledge of [AMAZING, considering the paucity of knoledge I have in MOST areas Suspect ] making any comment of [MORE] dubious worth, AND they, rules that is, have a certain effect on moi Sleep .

HOWEVER, Night Goblin Assassins would be OH SO COOL. I did up minis of the Dread Brothers Woo Woo, renowned N.G. Assassins a couple years ago [the other Night Goblins knew they didn't have any assassins, but didn't want to hurt their feelings]. If I could ONLY bribe, er...convince cianty to include then in his WONDERFUL BTB [somewhere in the distance a voice sounding amazing like cianty's screams "NEVER"]Suspect

Last edited by DeafNala on Wed 3 Sep 2008 - 23:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 23:36

Thank you ashton, its these kind of comments that move it along. here is my justification, what do you think?

"Costs the same as a two handed weapon and has none of the draw backs"

thats a bit unfair a dwarf axe costs 15gc has none of the drawbacks of a two handed weapon and gives parry (a sword abillity 10gc) and an axe (5gc).

Whilst the katana can either be used as hand weapon (like a dagger) a halberd (10gc) and +1I. the initiative can surely be justified as not being worth more then a spear which always hits first in the first round. so I got a 15gc. note: it is unique to the nipponese and they grab em from some master forger who knows em.

I might as well tell you what the art of folded steel is, as you seem to think it is rediculously good.

Art of Folded Steel: All bladed weapons used by the Nippon will only be broken (IE by a swordbreaker) on a roll of a 6.

this is a terribley situational rule and is a slight bonus for the highly superstitious rule

Highly superstitious: can only take human hired swords.

the most I would even consider bumping it up to is 20gc (IE a sword and a spear) but I feel 15 flows a bit better considering they cannot take shields or bucklers.

EDIT: yea, master crafted super special awesome katana's go for a fortune, but thats because they are a collectors item. I dont think its fair to compare a price many centuries after to a game with dragons and deamons.
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeWed 3 Sep 2008 - 23:51

Ah, I hear what you're saying. You're right, the unbreakable rule is not even something I've heard of.

I still think you're underestimating the ability to choose using it as 1 or 2 handed. I would say that's at least 5-10gc. If you'r fighting week goblins you can use two weapons, but if your fighting tough orcs, you can use it two handed. very adventagous in my eyes.

(side note: your description of the spear rule is incorrect)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeThu 4 Sep 2008 - 3:09

Sorry about the spear ruling

And after consideration I have decided to play it as follows;

Katana 20gc (25 in mordheim rarity 9)

Can be used in one or two hands

1 Hand

Strength: as user

Special rules:

Agile Blade (new name wanted): The katana grants its weilder +1I whilst in combat (only one bonus Initiative can be gained so 2 katanas doesnt give +2)

2 hands

Strenght: as user +1

Special rules

Agile Blade (new name wanted): The katana grants its weilder +1I whilst in combat (only one bonus Initiative can be gained so 2 katanas doesnt give +2)

how does that look to you now? also ashton, do you want a copy of the current (and almost final) warband list to look over before I format it?

Cheers,

Tom
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitimeThu 4 Sep 2008 - 7:20

No problem man, I'd love to help.

I like it a lot. I think it's much more fair.

I almost recommended rewording the "agile blade" to only increase the initiative for that attack... but that would be kindof crazy... although they do it with spears, so it could work. meh, up to you.

sure man, I can't say I'll be too much help as I only have experience with two warbands and their weapons, but I can try (and have little time right now...). Send it to mordheim [at] mordheim.ashtonsanders.com Wink (or msg me the link... however you want to do it.) Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two new oriental hired swords   Two new oriental hired swords Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two new oriental hired swords
Page 1 of 1