Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Parrying VS multiple opponents...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

Parrying VS multiple opponents... Empty
PostSubject: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 13:24

Here is the situation.

2 Warriors(A and B) a in base contact and fight against another one with a sword (C).

Warrior A attacks and score 6 to hit. Thus model C cannot parry.

Warrior B attacks and score 4 to hit. Does the parry opportunity was wasted by the first un-parryable attack or as he never rolled, C still have is parry?
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 13:37

Per the rules, C gets no parry.

Quote :
A buckler or sword may only parry one blow per hand-to-hand combat phase ... If a model is fighting against several opponents, it may only parry the strike from the enemy who makes the first hit(s) (ie, the attacking model with the highest Initiative).
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 15:10

Interesting, great rules question.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 15:19

Arli.

Citizen Sade with his rule quote has answered clearly... there are no more reason to argue here.

You MUST parry the best hit of the first attacker that hits you.
Back to top Go down
Slapdash
Warrior
Warrior
Slapdash

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 16:05

Citizen Sade wrote:
Per the rules, C gets no parry.

Quote :
A buckler or sword may only parry one blow per hand-to-hand combat phase ... If a model is fighting against several opponents, it may only parry the strike from the enemy who makes the first hit(s) (ie, the attacking model with the highest Initiative).

Can I get a citation on this rule?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 17:40

Rule Book, page 35 wrote:

SPECIAL RULE
Parry: A model equipped with a buckler may parry the first blow in each round of hand-to-hand combat. When
his opponent scores a hit, a model with a buckler may roll 1D6. If the score is greater than the highest to hit
score of his opponent, the model has parried the blow, and that attack is discarded. A model may not parry
attacks made with double or more its own Strength – they are simply too powerful to be stopped.

When reading the parry rule for swords though:
Quote :

Swords offer an excellent balance of defence and offence. A model armed with a sword may parry blows. When his opponent rolls to hit, the model armed with a sword may roll a D6. If the score is greater than the highest to hit score of his opponent, the model has parried the blow, and that attack is discarded. A model may not parry attacks made with double or more its own Strength – they are simply too powerful to be stopped.

The rules diffrence here is the Buckler states only the first round of h2h well the sword does not specify (leading to think can perry from every opponent).
Stupid GW not being clear by using the same rule text each time!

Rule book P.20 wrote:

Bucklers are small shields which offer no increase to the armour saving throw, but allow you to parry
attacks. Swords are also used to parry enemy attacks. When an opponent scores a hit, warriors equipped
with bucklers or swords may try to parry the blow. Roll a D6. If the score is higher than the number your
opponent rolled to hit, the buckler or sword has parried the strike. Note that it is therefore impossible to parry a blow which scored a 6 on the roll to hit.
And this section also doesn't specify round of h2h so again this sounds like you can perry from every opponent.

I had always assumed my self the rule was per h2h combat but of these 3 rules quotes I see that they are not all the same but by looking at it the rules it leades me to think you can perry from every opponent who is against you.
Back to top Go down
Slapdash
Warrior
Warrior
Slapdash

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 17:55

Ahh thank you Pervavita. I saw what you saw in those rules.

Perhaps they wanted to make the parry from Buckler different from the parry from Sword? I can't believe they haven't FAQ'd this one.

Still not sure where "If a model is fighting against several opponents, it may only parry the strike from the enemy who makes the first hit(s) (ie, the attacking model with the highest Initiative)." is coming from. Would love to find that in a FAQ somewhere if you can find it again Citizen Sade.
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:22

It's not a FAQ, it's from page 21 of the LRB (close combat part, parry section)
Back to top Go down
Slapdash
Warrior
Warrior
Slapdash

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:27

Citizen Sade wrote:
It's not a FAQ, it's from page 21 of the LRB (close combat part, parry section)
Doh! Sorry, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the 411, CS.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:32

lol, I quoted the right rule (p.20) but didn't read past onto page 21 (where what I quoted continued to).

Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitimeWed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:53

No worries. Might teach me to cite my sources better Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parrying VS multiple opponents...   Parrying VS multiple opponents... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parrying VS multiple opponents...
Page 1 of 1