Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Undead Warband

Go down 
+3
Pervavita
gorenut
garathiel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
garathiel
General
General
garathiel

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Warband - Undead Warband Empty
PostSubject: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeThu 14 Feb 2013 - 15:10

I'm assembling models for this new list ..

HEROES

Vampire
-Sword
-Bow
-Shield
-H.Armour

Necromancer
-S. Bow
-Sword

3x Reject
-S. Bow
-Sword

HENCHMEN

8x Zombies
2x Ghouls

... SLOWLY .. we are coming.-
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garathielpaints
garathiel
General
General
garathiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeThu 14 Feb 2013 - 23:49

The enemy warbands are beastmen and 2 dwarves treasure hunters :-)

.. There Will be some crossbows .. Hope to use well My Greater number. X_X
Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeThu 14 Feb 2013 - 23:52

Even though I've fooled around with Mordheim for a while.. I've only really played 2 games. I definitely have far more experience in 40k and WHFB so take my advice with that in mind....

In my personal opinion, you'd be better off saving the extra money in all the bows you have to get more ghouls, especially since zombies don't gain XP. The vampire especially, despite his highish BS.. seems better off taking advantage of his high movement rather than shooting.. so he really should be closing the distance whenever possible. Armor seems debatable since most people already think armor is overpriced in Mordheim to begin with. Add that with the fact that the vampire will mostly take out things in combat before they strike back if you're playing him right. Personally.. I have no issues arming him with armor. He's not affected as badly by it due to his high movement rate. Makes him more survivable.

Necro might be the only guy I'd consider equipping a bow because he actually starts off with a decent BS. If you roll a cruddy spell or just got a spell that is more situational... you can use those turns to shoot instead.

Dregs/Rejects.. their low BS seems to make bows a waste. I'd wait until they increase their BS before getting select ones a bow. Their low WS isn't as detrimental as low BS.. so I'd maybe equip them with 2 clubs instead.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 0:40

my take knowing who you will face the bows won't do you much good at all. Dwarves will out shoot you and even if they go heavy into h2h with only a few x-bows your shots will do nothing against them.
The Beastmen can take the shots too (but not as well) so they may have some effect here so having your necro and a dreg or two with bows may at the vary least make them not run up on you carelessly.

I like your mix to start of models knowing who you will face.

Dwarves are slow tanks so getting to them fast with your Vampire alone or with some dire wolves is a bad call and I think you'll lose so that's out there. The Zombies give you some cheap numbers to swarm them and tie them up when you get to them to allow your Vampire to make some kills and keeps your numbers hight to help avoid the rout test.
I recomend here to toss a 2 handed weapon on one of your Dregs... why?
Pair him with your Vampire and charge in together (with a Zombie close by to intercept counter charges if you are not able to tie up all the Dwarves). If the Vampire doesn't kill the Dwarf (roll a 6) but knocks the dwarf down then the Dreg at S5 can take the Dwarf out ether knocked down or stunned... thus easy exp for him.
The Zombies can also act as a X-bow screen on the advance if needed... or if you need to rout they are little loss.

Against Beastmen the Zombies will be highly valuable as they have low LD means lots of failed charges and on your charge you will have them also fail LD rolls meaning less hits against you.
I would still do the same Vamp/Dreg (w/great weapon) Combo here too. Though not as important it still can come in handy and well he already has the great weapon so just keep in the practice. Just remember to always try to get the charge and that means Zombies tieing up other models and a zombie or two in reserve to intercep charges.

In ether case once a zombie dies replace it if you have the gold with a Goul.

Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 2:26

Good luck friend. You're facing two very powerful warbands (dwarves) and an average one.

Pervavita is right here, bows are rather useless against the dwarves and the beastmen are so fast you will not have many shooting opportunities. 2H weapons are priceless against them so I'd even give 2 Dreg a 2H weapons and a mace so they can fight with 2 weapons if needed (dagger/mace). You're facing 3 High toughness warbands and they will be very useful.

Also try to do not ''give'' many xp by throwing hordes of zombies at you ennemies. Dwarves get really poweful very fast if you ''give'' them easy xp as their special skills are a real nightmare.

The vampire to stun/knock down with a Dreg putting OOA is the best way to end up with something.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 9:12

My observations:
Don't give up armor & shield on vampire - he's only quality model in your warband. People may tell you armor is overpriced (they're right) but vampire is the one and only case when it's worth buying. Give vampire helbard, great sword or a spear (strike first when chargeg). Boost strenght on your other heroes with weapons. Drop bows - they are useless against these warbands.
If your heroes are not enough hire Imperial assassin. You may buy him weapons and he already has 3XS4 and (always strike first) 1XS5 attacks - priceless when fighting T4. not mentioning very good stats. I think he is a perfect solution for your battles.
Btw: Your current warband rating is 108 - when fighting beastmen you'll probably get underdogs bonus after first battle. Exchange 3 zombies for one ghoul and you me be certain of it.be vigilliant Surprised
Back to top Go down
garathiel
General
General
garathiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 11:05

Ah, our rules Pack is .. Rulebook, empire in flames, annual, border town burning, all the town cryers.

So we could use this skill list http://www.mordheimer.com/articles/master_skill_list.htm

I Will take tactician and Hungh with my Vampire as soon as i can.

12' deployment and 3 ghouls at 12' from enemy.

My strategy is to move with the group united by 4' Each turn .. So the heroes could shoot .. Lucky shoots for sure, but better that nothing. Smile

We'll see!!!
Can't wait to share with you the firsts models. Smile

Undead
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeFri 15 Feb 2013 - 12:14

Don't forget Mist Form skill to save your vampire's arse from not-quite-going-well combats or to tie up some enemy models. It works quite well against shooting warbands - he just cannot be harmed even in open (also crits don't work on mistformed vampire).
And of course show us your warband Cool It's always good to see who are we talking about!
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 11:00

Although not necessary on the very first game, I think it would be a good idea to get bows for everyone that can have them. Granted a BS of 2 is not likely to hit much, but some chance of hitting can sometimes be better than *no* chance of hitting and all you need is BS to be a good shooter. You need WS, St, and A to be a better CC hero. And vs dwarfs, a bow with hunting arrows is just as likely to take a dwarf out of action as a crossbow, but you don't need nimble to move and shoot.

It is for similar reasons I always give my Youngbloods bows right from the very first game, but then I usually play Marienburgers so part of that is I play them very well equipped.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitimeSun 17 Feb 2013 - 16:00

I would take more ghouls to give more chance for that ghoul hero.

I take bows with my dregs, vampire and necromancer as well. The dregs rarely hit but our house rules allow hitting on a 7-9. Even crappy shots have a chance. I give the vampire a bow because there are some instances when he needs to move slowly to allow his minions to catch up, so he might as well do something while he's waiting.

Finally I find that having a missile capacity, no matter how limited, keeps the shooters from standing in the open and potting at you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Undead Warband   Warband - Undead Warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Undead Warband
Page 1 of 1