Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Making a square house for Porto Pulpo

Go down 
+8
Theorox
Captain Bernhardt
neuh
floedebolle
Jerry_O
DeafNala
theomar pius
Quase
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Empty
PostSubject: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 22:18

So, at work, I noticed one of these things, for holding cookies. The moment I saw it I just knew I would be able to use it somehow for my scenery, but, of course I couldn't just take one home...

A few months later, I was doing late shift, and upon preparing mlyself to walk home, I notice one in a dustbin... mine!
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 281roof_zpsf29ae484

Turned upside down, it has a cool shape for a roof, without me having to construct something.

Once at home, I immediately took out some cardboard, measured up the sides of the roof, deducted one centimeter and drew and cut out 4 walls with an exacto knife. The height of the walls was determined by the height of those Mordheim sprues corners for the cardboard buildings.

Now, as a square building can be cool, I still like to alter it's shape, adding an outhouse, a cellar entrance and then some (remember, I had a couple of months to think on what exactly I was going to do), so I took the windows and door I wanted to incorporate, and drew out where exactly they should come,so that afterwards I don't have a windo where the door should've been
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 282Walls_zps107a221b

The next step consisted of cutting out the windows, regularly proof-fitting the plastic windowframes, to be sure n cardboard was visible behind them, and ensuring I didn't cut holes that were too large
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 283Windows_zps9dea3944

Now, I had been pondering quite a while on the walls... don't want 'm all wood, and don't want 'm all bricks, but I still need texture. So I decided on an experiment... Did it work? No idea, I'll only know when I hit the painting-stage.

First off, I cut out 4 pieces of newspaper in the same size as the walls
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 284Texture_zpsf0374359
Then I pressed them together into little balls
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 285Balls_zpsef31d31f
I flattened them out again, and glued them on the walls with watered down PVA. The newspaper will soak up the PVA, making it nice and hard.
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 286Textureglued_zps17a1a6e8
At this stage, I called it a night, just to make sure the PVA had dried up completely before I moved on to the next step...

Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 22:31

The next evening, after a complete and whole day of anticipation @ work, I arrived home and a wee while later checked the walls...

They had warped a little, but nothing too serious... Will need a way to remedy that, but, first things first, I cut out the windows again, out of the newspapers this time (easy, as the holes were already there in the cardboard)
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 287Windows_zps7f997687

Then, with PVA, I glued the Mordheim plastic windoframes into their places, made a door from the Mordheim doorframe and coffee-stirrers (no, those aren't from Mordheim)
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 288Windowsglued_zpsa5d5f543
Then I dry-fitted all four walls to their Mordheim corners so I could check it the roof still fit...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 289Dryfit1_zpsb35f3528
Why the dry-fit? Mainly so I could check it the roof still fit...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 289Dryfit2_zps73371fd2
Sooo... I guess it didn't LOL
Simple solution, I cut one centimeter off of every wall, some 0.5 cm on each side, others a whole cm on one side.
Re-dry-fit...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 289Dryfit3_zpsc2c3e638
Niiiiiice. A little overhang which 'll become bigger once I add the roof tiles, just as I wanted it.
I like!

Now, my walls are still warped, and I can't seem to be able to bend them straight again.
So out comes a length of my precioussss balsa-wood (which is actually way to expensive to use for this purpose...) and PVA them into place to reinforce and straighten out the walls.

Added bonus of the balsa : it'll give me a bigger surface for when I'll be glueing the building to it's base.

Add some clothespins to keep them into place, and call it a night, so the PVA can dry out nice and easy.
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2810Reinforcements1_zps2cfbb9b7
Why didn't I do this first? Well, the clothespins are neccessary for straightening, and they would impede me with any other work, so I waited with them until just before bed-time...

Hope you guys like what you see thus far!
I'll try and do an update tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 23:05

That looks like it's going to work!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jan 2013 - 23:15

It's an interesting approach to the Beasty...it looks like it will turn out VERY NICELY. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Jerry_O
Captain
Captain
Jerry_O

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan 2013 - 7:59

If I just have had this idea when I built my scenery ..... Rolling Eyes

Really nice work thus far Smile
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan 2013 - 12:50

Thanks!

After a night of drying out, the balsa-wood beams have done their work purrrfectly.
I can now present to you... 4 straight walls!
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2810Reinforcements2_zps51f26b12

Time to get the last detailing done, before I glue all four walls together.
First off, the door.

From a cereal-box, I cut two hinges with a scissors and PVA'd them to the door (glossy side in, as paint tends to flake off if you put the glossy side out!)
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2811Scharnieren1_zps974876ef
Then I drilled two holes into each hinge, and put a small ball of greenstuff on the other side of the door.
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2811Scharnieren2_zps22b1cbb2

Then I pushed a rounded object (the non-business end of a paintbrush in this Case), in the middle of the greenstuff ball, creating a door-knocker, and I inserted 4 flathead pins into the holes I drilled, so that the hinges look bolted into place.
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2811Scharnieren3_zps02c2075e
I realise now that I forgot to take a picture of the finished door Embarassed ; will remedy that in one of the later updates

Up until now, when I wanted to add bricks/stones to a build, I made them out of milliput (check my well, my fountain or my Cthulhu statue to see how that turns out); but last week, I scored a supply of plasticard bricks, rather uneven, and I wanted to try those out.
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2812Bricks1_zps31c5a7c2
Work immediately goes a lot faster if you can just add plasticard bricks in stead of sculpting them all. I am curious though how they'll turn out once painted.

So I measured out how long the bricks needed to be for all the walls and I cut strips of that length off of the plasticard
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2812Bricks2_zps54d03d73

Now, before I glue those into place, I needed to glue the four walls together, as the Mordheim corners will fit over my cardboard, but not over the cardboard + a layer of plasticard.
So, this is what the house looks like now (you can see the bolts on the doorhinges in the first piccie):
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2812Bricks3_zps438500f2
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo 2812Bricks4_zpsfac2af9d

Again, as quite a lot of PVA was used, I decided to call it a night to let everything dry.

Onwards and forwards to basing the house tomorrow. Once the base is in place, I can start making the outhouse, door cellar, ...

Oh, and I mustn't forget the rooftiles!
From experience on my well, you can do one or two rows max before you have to let the PVA dry up lest your next rows will start pushing the previous rows down.
But before I do rooftiles, I have got to make a chimney first... very important that!

On the roof, you'll probably have noticed the big flat area on top.
I have had a couple of ideas on what to do with that area :
° Build the rest of a pointed roof
° Make a little 'house on the house', a bit like a bell-tower
° Make some sort of crows' nest, with a monocular
° Listen to any cool suggestions you guys might have

Cheers for reading!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan 2013 - 13:10

Glad to see it all came together SO NICELY. This looks to be a BEAUTY once completed. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup

For the roof, being in a harbor town, you might do a widow's walk for the top section. What a Face
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan 2013 - 13:12

Nice idea, to me it looks great, cant wait to see it covered by rooftiles. Well, its the same with me, the best ideas occur while you are working.

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jan 2013 - 14:13

Widow's walk! That's the term I was looking for! Thanks
Back to top Go down
neuh
Warrior
Warrior
neuh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jan 2013 - 17:13

Nice start ! Good idea to texture the walls with newspaper.
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeFri 25 Jan 2013 - 20:00

looking great!
I'm also curious to learn where you picked that plasticard up?
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 23:05

neuh, We'll see sether it's a good idea when I get around to the painting Wink

Capt'n Bernhardt, that's what I asked the British guy who built the Salty Dog for me.
And I arranged a swapsies with him, so I've got my small personal stash too now.

In the meantime, as I said, I forgot to take a picture of the completed door, here's the close-up.
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse002_zps4dd768ef

Next up, before I start adding details to the walls, like outhouses and such, I need to base my house, so out comes the plasticard... To make it easier for me, I already drew out what I wanted to be where, so I'm sure to cut off a large enough base
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse001_zps62aecc7d

Once glued onto the base, I decided to put the build through a stress-test... here it is under my wooden painting-trunk
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse003_zps83dfdecf

Whilst that was drying, I decided to start working the roof (not that I did have many options), and I decided to go with the widow's walk, especially since I found some iron fences in my 40K vehicle bitzbox (yes, I know, only one bitsbox, but it is a big, big bitzbox)
So out come the coffee stirrers. Where I wanted the hatch to be, I glued the sticks in the other direction...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse004_zpsd9f99f60
Then I added some details to the hatch
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse005_zps1e84c0ff
And two handles
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse006_zps3e657cdb
A little later I had added all fences
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse008_zps8852b7a3
And this is what that looks like on the house
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse007_zps6b288b93
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 23:08

Now this looks OK, but still, it needs somethin extra... luckily, I came across these on my rummage through my bitzbox :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse009_zps908c7609
After some cutting, a really small ball of greenstuff and some poly cement, this is what came out :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse011_zps76569249
One dry-fit later, I knew it didn't clear the fences, so that wouldn't do... at all...
Easies way to get some height? Like this :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse012_zps0e79d396
Glued into place :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse015_zps8553054a
And a size-comparison with a 28mm fig
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse016_zpsbcb64c8a
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 23:13

Still waiting for arr the PVA to dry, I started on a lean-to shed...
First some cardboard
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse017_zpsb7beec90
Then glue some squares on the cardboard
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse018_zps62892856
And cover them in coffe stirrers
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse019_zpsbf6b6e40
Cover the rest of the wall...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse020_zps66f672f1
Wash, rice, repeat on the other walls + roof
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse021_zpsfc440263
And then the shed looks like this
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse022_zpsdebc298e
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse023_zpsc1ece2a9

Then, I started to make the wooden beams on the walls where I was certain no more outhouses would be added :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse025_zps6119395b
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse026_zpsb12e9c92

And to finish off, I started making a cellar-entrance (again using cardboard as base material)
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse028_zps7100615c
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 23:19

Now, the moment I'd been waiting for for quite a while, my children finally finished their box of cereals... Mine!

Measure out some strips...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse029_zps62c80b04
Cut them out
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse030_zps92dde3de
Cut those into small rectangles (without measuring for a nice mix of different sizes)
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse031_zps9d84d4ad

And glue them to one of the sides I'm 100% sure won't be getting the chimney (the two sides covered by the monocular)
First, I wanted to cut the corners, making them kang over the roofs' edge, but I had forgotten to take the coffe stirrers into account on my shed... This now came so high, I can't make the roof any longer or it will rest crookedly on the shed
**edit** oh yeah, almost forgot the important bit, glue the shiny side in, because paint tends to flake off of the shiny side, an problem you won't have with the non-shiny side **/edit**
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse032_zps65a778f1
Do the second side, and cover the corner in one large strip...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse033_zps378c8295

Now I really need to make a chimney before I take this roof any further...

That's all for now folks!

Last edited by Quase on Sun 27 Jan 2013 - 23:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013 - 23:21

EXCELLENT PROGRESS! The place is taking shape TERRIFICALLY; AND the level of detailing is OUTSTANDING. GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 14:04

Thanks!

Now, after having posted, yesterday evening, I took the doggie for her evening walk.
And whilst walking, I had an idea to add some more details to the roof...

So, in stead of going to bed, I first made a small structure out of cereal box cardboard, and once I'd gotten the angles right, transferred the design to some sturdier cardboard.
And this is what that looks like :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse034_zps7c33e6c9
Add the newspaper treatment, a window and some wood :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse035_zps4d2812fa
And glue into place
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse036_zpsb5d7d612
After which, upon the folding of the arms (ach wailie wailie, not the folding of the arms!) and the tapping of the feet (ach wailie wailie wailie, not the tapping of the feet!) I decided to call it a night and go to bed.

Today, sitting at home because we're having the hall redone, I first detailed the cellar entrance
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse037_zps174bc7c7
The handles are from 40K vehicle sprues (it continues to amaze me how useful 40K bitz can be for your fantasy builds)
And I added a quick win nect to the cellar entrance, these just needed glueing into place
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse038_zps5deca46d
Confident that the structure from yesterday had thoroughly dried, I added rooftiles :
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse039_zps9a18450e

And that's all up until now

Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 15:17

And I've just finished tiling the roof-part...
Making a square house for Porto Pulpo SquareHouse040_zpse9d65889

Here you can see all the latest updates into one single piccie

Now I need to make me a chimney; but first to the store, get kids from school etc.
Back to top Go down
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 15:25

Oh, great stuff! Very Happy

Theo
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 15:38

To be honest I was doubtful when first saw your project. But at the end it turned out to be an excellent piece of terrain! Very well done!
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 16:53

Why the doubts? What was it that made you go "hmmmmmmm"?

Vagabond wrote:
But at the end it turned out to be an excellent piece of terrain!

At the end? The end?
I'm far from finished yet!

There's still one wall that's entirely bland and needs-a-detailing, there's one part of the roof that needs to be chimneyed and tiled, and I haven't even started on the base yet!

Razz
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 17:49

Your making great progress. Love it so far.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2013 - 18:21

WONDERFUL PROGRESS! The roof looks GREAT; AND I love all the embellishments your adding. FINE WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2013 - 5:47

Quase wrote:
Why the doubts? What was it that made you go "hmmmmmmm"?

Vagabond wrote:
But at the end it turned out to be an excellent piece of terrain!

At the end? The end?
I'm far from finished yet!

There's still one wall that's entirely bland and needs-a-detailing, there's one part of the roof that needs to be chimneyed and tiled, and I haven't even started on the base yet!

Razz

The roof seemed to me to high in relation to the walls... But it was my mistake! Everything was/is in divine proportion! Wink
Back to top Go down
Quase
Elder
Elder
Quase

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jan 2013 - 13:02

Thanks!

I was a b it woried about that in the beginning too, that's why I added all those enlargements to the house, making it wider in most of the directions.

Just to be sure, included in the next update, I'll take some pictures from a 28mm fig point-of-view, and if I remember I'll even add some pirates to the pictures too, it's true that I usually have one or two pirates at hand, to hold next to my builds, just to make sure everything looks sufficiently in scale whilst I'm a cutting and a glueing, so might as well share this measuring with you guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making a square house for Porto Pulpo   Making a square house for Porto Pulpo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a square house for Porto Pulpo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next