Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)

Go down 
+204
VoN ~ KRiMSoN
caratacos
Beastofburden
Coppermind
Benji
hexenjagar
Trulsa
Dreadgrass
Soulblight
Thumz
Kajiya
Tonka
Plutz
Karskin
Dorkman
sir-ronsalot
scottypotty
Reg06
Targetlock
Crimson Cobra
Frankdrabbytt
Contempt
_JC_
teh orc player
Rawfist Bloodyknuckle
Dahag
blindrage19
L.T.86
Lord 0
Stirlander
CygnusMaximus
Eisenblume
SiliconSicilian
Judo
Eliazar
Cian Shieldbiter
alveiz
BigEasy1022
GreyWolf
Exodite
Heart
hwd
Drongol
sartori
Keylan
Anthonius
crouching lictor
Zarkam
yugnat
pascal the rascal
Splendor
kidbone
toemasss
ChildOfKhorne
VilleVicious
Katsuhiko JiNNai
Figgy
Sybylla
Sven The Mighty
Mortimer
Back-Up Ninja
BurnTehWitch
Horatio
wyldhunt
Plague Docter
SoldierOfFortune
JAFisher44
Girr
Joker2and53
Fungomungus
hannibalisfun
rain9441
Svenn
kerill
perfesser
Jadex
lordofslack
black mantis
Wolfen
Stinkeye
Archnomad
Arathorn
way2blaster
Davespaceman
Dulu
mortosthegodly
Moonknight
embitteredsoul
Polar Star
cjp
Mexican_Ninja
Ancre
Tewfik
ImUrDentist
Goonstah
TarZaN
Rituality
Popmouth
outbreak
Tom O'Bedlam
Jaquemart
Trick3003
walkonearth
tuxedokman
Citizen Sade
extraman92
PorkSocks
Earthcrosser599
Horatius
The_Trans
darthblud
dwarflord17404
heylookitsmatt
squattingmouse
Crowbarr
robertrunner
Hamsterjoe
Dmig
Hans Grüber
Pentagathus
jerk_burger
usagi_tetsu
Goosetipher
Alcaeus
Blackjack13
Captain Yesterday
FrostyLobster
Von Kurst
Death Jester
magokiron
Fallen
Identity
PitFighterTrainer
Randomtask
werekin
Lord Xi
Ram Rock Ed First
Xarx
Chad
RandomRaefe
Drud
Inferny
Hawkeye
Deatheven13
Skavenblight
atzerath
Elmoth
Burlok Blackaxe
Oldcastle
CrazyOrc88
AjaxUSA
Ralron
GMillar
xarly22
VonStreusel
Fishman
catferret
bolerus
Unwanted
Chitriel
Ezekiel
scotty
Barden The Butcher
Random
Duce
witch hunter commander
Skavenslayer
rhuntar
ironbull
Exarch Thomo
thatirwinfella
DeafNala
Asgath
Lord Archaon
Jacky-Boy
Axel
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Pathfinder Dubstyles
lord siwoc
Jänis
Gen.Steiner
Boehm
arch heretic
organboy
zoglug
da green one
Da Bank
Konqueror
cianty
Pfreck
WarbossKurgan
barrskog
JohnYoung
Ashton
Tortiou
Brahm Tazoul
Loki77515
Yorik
Etienne de Beaugard
Hellfoot
Tagnator
Admin Tom
Erkwin
matt
208 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
VoN ~ KRiMSoN
Youngblood
Youngblood
VoN ~ KRiMSoN

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Mar 2011 - 17:08

OK - Lets Try this then,....
"Fingers Crossed Here"

Vamp w/ Bow & Sword
Necro w/ Bow
Dreg w/ Bow
Dreg w/ 2x Axes
Dreg w/ Sword & Shield
3x DireWolves
2x Ghouls

Still a Little Fluffy but has that speed I need and 2x Ghoulies

Does this work ?
What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Mar 2011 - 18:27

of course it's your decision but i find that 3 dire wolves are quite expensive to start with. of course they are really good in the offensive department but they are very expensive but can die quite easily ("only" T3).

So if you are unlucky you can lose a lot of money which you would like to avoid as it might hamper the development of your warband.

I know someone said you should drop the zombies but in my opinion they are great at the beginning of the campaign. in your recent list you don't have cannon fodder, and zombies excel at that.
zombies cannot be stunned so it might happen that they can pin an enemy warrior for quite a while. even if he goes down, next round he stands again already. and so on... as long as the ememy warriors don't have many attacks or strike to injure, it will often take them quite a while to get rid of that zombie.

so my suggestion is: drop the bow on the dreg (with BS2 he won't hit much anyway) and drop one wolf.

this gives you 60 gc. so you could buy about 2-3 zombies for that and still have some spare money to spend here and there.

later in the campaign you can let the zombies die off when they become less useful and stock up with further ghouls and dire wolves...

btw: no matter if you go for 2 or 3 wolves... I would send the vampire with them or close to them. for if they have to endure a counter-attack they will need the vampire's protection...
Back to top Go down
VoN ~ KRiMSoN
Youngblood
Youngblood
VoN ~ KRiMSoN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Mar 2011 - 19:14

True enough,.... I was beginning to think along those lines as well, I will drop one of the Wolves and the sheild from the Dreg to allow for 3x Zombies so I will have some Fodder. In regards to the Dreg with the Bow - I'm gonna leave him as is for the time being and understand that although he has a piss poor BS skill - it still allows a chance of getting a hit at range and I do like the option of providing that kind of support.

Thanks for the input & I will see what this may or may not do for me
afro
Back to top Go down
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeMon 7 Mar 2011 - 19:33

yes of course. good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
kidcage
Champion
Champion
kidcage

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Mar 2011 - 1:21

Alrighty, let me throw in here:

Vampire (Halberd)
Necromancer (Sword, Mace, Bow)
Dreg (Spear)
Dreg (2x Mace)
Dreg (Mace, Axe)
5 Zombies (Horde #1)
2 Zombies (Horde #2)
3 Ghouls

Max warband size to start off. I figure I'd put two zombies and a ghoul with a Dreg, just to make decent "hunting" packs. Then the Vampire and other ghoul can work together, while the Necromancer has a zombie bodyguard to intercept/act as cover when needed.

The Vamp with the Halberd just seems nasty, 2 attacks at 5 strength, and the wounds and toughness help him stay alive, especially with a ghoul bodyguard. The Necromancer, I ALWAYS try to get them into a building and upstairs so he can shoot anyone who comes near. The zombie then acts as a bodyguard downstairs.

The hunting packs work for one reason. Zombies charge in and do the knocking down/stunning, Dreg charges in and finishes off the guy to get quick and easy experiences.

All this and still have about 10 gold left over.
Back to top Go down
caratacos
Hero
Hero
caratacos

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Mar 2011 - 11:54

Von Kurst wrote:

Welcome caratacos.
Do you have house rules for spears or double handed swords? Or perhaps dual wielding? If not the weapons are a waste of money for a starting warband, but you have already survived your first game (and probably more.)

Is there a reason to upgrade to handguns? Again do you have house rules that would support handguns over bows? Unless you are trying to wound some high T targets, bows win the battle with handguns in this game every time.

Thank you.

No, we do not have any house rules. I must admit that we are still learning all the rules. And I can see why spears are such a waste, because I have just seen the entry in the FAQ which takes away the real strike first rule.

And yes, I am kind of trying to kill high toughness creatures. The warbands I am facing are Undead, Possessed, Tomb Kings and Dwarven Treasure Hunters. So I can surely tell you that I am trying to stay way out of close combat. Luckily I can outrun the dwarves and the Tomb Kings. It's worse with the Dire Wolves and Possessed.

So far I have played two scenarios. And no-one in my warband has been taken out of action. And in the last game one of my Jaegers got Lad's got a talent.

So what do you suggest for weapons then?

In my signature there's a link to my Wargaming blog where the progress of my Ostlanders can be followed.

Back to top Go down
Tristan

Tristan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Mar 2011 - 18:22

Hi this is my first war band in about 9 years, hope it works!

Skaven 500 gc

Heroes x 6
Assassin Adept (weeping blades, sling)
Eshin Sorcerer (spear, sling)
Black Skaven (fighting claws)
Black Skaven (sword, sling)
Night Runner (sling, club)
Night Runner (sling, club)

Henchmen
Verminkin X4 (sling, club)
Verminkin X3 (sling, club)

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/tristangray
kidcage
Champion
Champion
kidcage

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Mar 2011 - 19:09

As a non-Skaven player, I do like how the Warband looks. Would definitely make for a good warband to go up against.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeTue 8 Mar 2011 - 21:06

welcome to the forums Tristan! That looks like a very powerful starting warband. My only thing is that I prefer to start with my henchmen in groups of 2 or so just in case one group gets bad upgrades I can reinforce the other instead. But Skaven start with all 6 heroes so that isn't as big of a deal anyways. Also starting with that list is a great place to branch out from and start specializing.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeWed 9 Mar 2011 - 6:04

caratacos wrote:

And yes, I am kind of trying to kill high toughness creatures. The warbands I am facing are Undead, Possessed, Tomb Kings and Dwarven Treasure Hunters. So I can surely tell you that I am trying to stay way out of close combat. Luckily I can outrun the dwarves and the Tomb Kings. It's worse with the Dire Wolves and Possessed.

So far I have played two scenarios. And no-one in my warband has been taken out of action. And in the last game one of my Jaegers got Lad's got a talent.

So what do you suggest for weapons then?

Buy the LGT a Blunderbuss! [Your only long range gun is the Hochland Long Rifle, bummer. ]

Buy the Ogre! Ogre LGTs are the bomb.

I'd stick with lots of arrows in the air for now. 35gc for a handgun equals a warrior with a bow. Ostlanders are not shooters. Eventually your strength is going to be numbers and hand to hand fighting. Brawling for lack of a better word.

You have 5 heroes. I'd hire a Tilean Marksman to give your shooting game an immediate boost. A crossbow that hits things in the open on 3s at long range to start. The BEST. Can only get better. For 30gc he is cheaper to start than the handgun and more effective.

(Sorry for the gap in replies.)
vk
Back to top Go down
caratacos
Hero
Hero
caratacos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011 - 14:13

Thanks.

Unfortunately, getting a blunderbuss was just what I tried to do. But ack, all my heroes failed to find anyone selling one.

Also, I am saving up for the Ogre.

And finally, is it not so that I only can hire the Ogre?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011 - 21:51

You are one of the few warbands with an ogre henchman. Most everyone can hire an Ogre Bodyguard, if they can hire anything.

Keep looking for that Blunderbuss, its there. Smile
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011 - 9:42

Von Kurst: Ostlanders can't take any Hired Swords except the Ogre Bodyguard. That is what Caratacos was referring to. Means he can't get a Tilean Marksman sadly. Does make it easier to save up cash for stuff if you aren't paying upkeep on things though.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011 - 15:34

DOH! Thanks for reminding me catferret! Sorry about the confusion Caratacos.

Look for that 3 sixes in exploration to cut your costs.
Back to top Go down
caratacos
Hero
Hero
caratacos

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011 - 13:06

Thanks for the advices.

Unfortunately I missed last game due to illness. But the Vampire hero of the Undead warband was permanently killed, and that's a charm Smile

On monday is next gaming event, and then I will have that blunderbuss. And hopefully also the ogre henchman.
Back to top Go down
Dahag
Warlord
Warlord
Dahag

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011 - 16:53

Here's my Protectorate of Sigmar warband. This was published in Letters of the Damned 3. Unfortunately I don't know too much about my enemies yet. But one of them seems to be lizardmen.

Warrior Priest, Warhammer, HA, Shield of Sigmar, helmet. 145gc (we houseruled HA to cost 20gc).

Templar 1: warhammer, shield, helmet 75

Templar 2: warhammer, shield, helmet 75

Acolyte 1: warhammer, shield 45

Acolyte 2: warhammer, shield 45

crusader 1: hammer 28

crusader 2: 2nd dagger 27

4 dogs 60

----------
500gc, 11 members

I wonder if I should drop a crusader and some hounds instead and get an archer + longbow (50gc). But if I lose him early quite some money will be lost.

What do you think?

btw. warhammer means "sigmarite warhammer" (the one the sisters of sigmar are using).

-------

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/viewtopic.forum?t=5702
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)   dwarf - Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz) - Page 40 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting warbands - Post them here! (Read first post, plz)
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40