Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries

Go down 
+5
Jerry_O
Von Kurst
folketsfiende
DeafNala
Spectre76
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Empty
PostSubject: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeSun 30 Dec 2012 - 23:25

Well, after a pretty long hiatus, I'm getting ready for a new campaign in the new year, and looking forward to it! Since I've had decent success with other Human warbands, it's time to try my hand with the money-grubbers (and those who do their dirty work!) from Marienburg.
Here's my captain. Going for the look of someone with REALLY expensive gear, and the fact that he's a southpaw makes him a bit different from others i've seen!
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien10[/img]

Using the Forgeworld minis I got a few months back, I put together this Champion/Duellist.
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien11[/img]

The youngbloods are a mixed bag again. Possibly thinking of replacing the axe/shield combo for a spear.
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien12[/img]

My second Champion is another big brawler with an even bigger feather in his hat!
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien13[/img]

The henchmen are all pretty well equipped for starting out (That extra 100 gold is NICE) Here are two swordsmen:
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien14[/img]

A trio of Marksmen with Crossbows:
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien15[/img]

And a trio of thugs/warriors with clubs and daggers. I like the idea of more effete looking heroes with downtrodden and poor looking henchmen. Seems fitting for Marienburgers.
[img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien16[/img]

Really looking forward to dusting off my paints and brushes in the next few weeks. I'll put up pics of these guys as I get them finished.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeSun 30 Dec 2012 - 23:54

You've got some pretty cool stuff lined up, especially the first two Heroes. Have FUN with the painting! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeMon 31 Dec 2012 - 4:13

Thanks nala!
I'm actually kinda torn about the color schemes for them. I've been thinking either yellow and purple (to reflect the wealth that Marienburg is known for, or green and white since I've always liked that combo. I've looked around for other ideas, but any suggestions would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeMon 31 Dec 2012 - 9:32

Good looking! I like your idea of the moneyed-up heroes, and the poor henchmen, and I think you nailed it pretty good with your modelling. Yellow and purple seems like a striking combination. The henchmen could have smaller purple details and/or a more brownish yellow, to further emphasize the difference between them. Try one or two models out - you can always remove and repaint if you're not satisfied with the combo!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jan 2013 - 16:03

Great concept for a MaryAnnburger warband. I like the multi-color approach of the GW studio. Red, blue and gold.

I also really like this army's lack of uniformity--

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=20815.0
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeTue 1 Jan 2013 - 18:58

I saw this one too, and it did give me some really good ideas for colors. After reading up on the fluff a little, it seems that Marienburg's ruling families each have their own colors, and with it being an independent city-state from the rest of the Empire, their troops are all cobbled together from each family. The result is something like that pic. So I guess it really doesn't matter too much what scheme I paint them in, as long as it's bright, gaudy, and opulent. Decisions decisions... Smile
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jan 2013 - 19:24

[img][/img]marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien17
Still have a few touch-ups to do for the Captain, but I'm pretty happy with the bright colors. May be a little while for me to get the rest of the warband done, but this I think is a pretty good start.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jan 2013 - 19:47

Now that's the way a military man of the Renaissance should look...PRETTY SNAZZY. The photo is a bit blurry, but the general feel of the costume shines through. GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Jerry_O
Captain
Captain
Jerry_O

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeWed 2 Jan 2013 - 20:04

As I´m a big fan of Sallets, I give you a big thumbs-up for this guy Smile

Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 3:58

Appreciate the kind words! Been a while since I've taken photos of my work, but I'm glad you guys like them. I also am a fan of his style of helm, and I wanted to go for something over-the-top, but still fitting for an infantry commander. As my work-load at my new job is still light this week, I actually have time to get some painting done, and I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with these guys!

EDIT:
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien18
After spending most of the evening, I figured I'd share my WIP heroes. Still not finished by a long shot, but at least I have a good idea of what the color schemes for the rest of the warband should look like. Here's the two champions

marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien19
Along with the two youngbloods

marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien20
This one is an alternate youngblood model I've had for a long time, armed with a spear. Apologies for the blurry image.

Man, I really missed this! Sitting at my desk, with my music set on Two Steps from Hell, and bringing out the detail on these models! Life can really get in the way sometimes, but a return to what makes you happy is SO satisfying.
Back to top Go down
Jerry_O
Captain
Captain
Jerry_O

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 8:48

Quote :
Life can really get in the way sometimes, but a return to what makes you happy is SO satisfying.

I´m experiencing the same at the moment Smile

Nice work so far but I like the youngblood with spear better, I think it is because of the beard of the other guy. He doesnt look young enough in my oppinion. But thats complaining on a high niveau Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 13:18

The Lads are coming along VERY NICELY...try an orange wash on the yellow to deepen the color without dulling it. Detailing these Guys should be a lot of fun with the shields & all those feathers. Enjoy the painting! thumbsup

The Reality observation works the other way around also; i.e., time spent doing something you enjoy often makes it easier to cope with Cruel Reality....or keep you from going totally nuts at any rate. clown
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 22:34

Glad for the comments and advice. Here's the finished heroes, though the henchmen will be a bit later.

Had some thoughts about the youngbloods, and I decided that the axe/shield combo guy will be a generic hero for the next "Lad's got talent" promotion I get with them, since a spear is a MUCH more fitting weapon for a youngblood, and true, the mustache throws the look off a bit! Laughing
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien21

The Captain, Duelist, and second Youngblood all came out better than expected, and I really like the look of them.
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien22
Back to top Go down
Jerry_O
Captain
Captain
Jerry_O

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 22:43

I have to say again this will be a lovely warband! Smile You should do something with the bases though, they look a little bit flat.

Have I mentioned I love sallets?^^ Man I have to get my hands on some of the ones from the greatswords sprue and build up my idea of a historical Landsknecht inspired warband Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 23:21

They're looking more like Marieburgers all the time...especially the Captain & Duelist. GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 23:24

They look great.
I like the Duelist most
Your champion wih round shield has a blan shield compared to the rest of the warband.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeThu 3 Jan 2013 - 23:32

Hey, you've got a lot of work done! I think the colour combo works great, but you might consider giving one or two of them different colours, just to break apart the conformity a little. I like the feel of the gang alot, and am looking forward to more pics!
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jan 2013 - 5:06

folketsfiende wrote:
I think the colour combo works great, but you might consider giving one or two of them different colours, just to break apart the conformity a little.
When I get to work on the henchmen (hopefully this weekend!) I'm likely going to do just that. I figure having more drab browns and greys on them will bring out the brightness of the hero models. As far as that round shield goes, I was planning on putting a decal on it, but I seemed to have misplaced my decal sheets! Oh well, that's the price of cleaning the house i guess! Sad
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jan 2013 - 5:51

EDIT: I LOVE MY WIFE!!! Apparently she saved my old decal sheets in another box of my old supplies, saying "I thought it looked like something you'd use for your models". After some grass-flocking from this afternoon, here's the final finished look of them:
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien23
Hopefully I can get some of the henchmen done this weekend, if work and classes don't get in the way.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jan 2013 - 13:23

The Guys look the part of Marienburgers...the Golden Armor was a fine idea. GREAT Group Photo...VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeFri 4 Jan 2013 - 17:10

Much better Smile
Wife's are good like that.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jan 2013 - 1:38

Appreciate the comments and compliments guys. Most of my other warbands have been in dark and muted clothing and armor, and it's been kinda fun giving these guys their brightly-colored digs.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeSat 5 Jan 2013 - 10:57

I echo Nala: gold armour looks snazzy. You've done a real good job. Now, more minis, more pics!
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 1:34

Just have a few more touch-ups to do, but the henchmen are painted and ready for battle! First up are the warriors/thugs.
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien24

The swordsmen are a little fancier than the thugs, as I figured it'd be appropriate to reflect their better training. Not as nice as the heroes, but certainly less scruffy than the thugs!
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien25

The crossbowmen had some repair work done before I painted them, as one head came off and I replaced it with another that had a more thuggish feel.
marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Marien26

Pretty happy with how they turned out, and I'll post up a group photo sometime later, after some touching up.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jan 2013 - 2:50

VERY WELL DONE! The Lads have a suitably gritty, no nonsense look to them. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries   marienburg - The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Blades of Manaan: Marienburg Marcenaries
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next