HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

qazbnm's WIP thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: qazbnm's WIP thread   Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 10:56

Hi,
unfortunately I haven't been able to paint as much as I'd like to since I got back into the hobby, but here are some shots of what I've been up to recently. As I was a high elf player 7 years ago, the decision to choose a shadow warrior warband wasn't that hard. I already had the models! I have tried to give them a "Nagarythe feel", to make them look like sinister shadow warriors and not just some random scouts.

This was the first minitature I painted since my 7 year hiatus, a high elf spearman to test the color-scheme.

The second one was this shadow warrior, I also tried sculpting a base with green stuff. I think it turned out ok but he needs pinning.

This is a wip shot of what I'm currently painting. I tried some new stuff with the armor, I think the scales turned out better than on the other ones but I'm not entirely happy with that yet.

The cloaks on these ones are a little darker, i think it looks better.

I have of course also started to work on some Mordheim scenery. This house is almost finished, it just needs some windows before I can base it and paint it!

this will be a ruined house with a balcony, it has 2 walls and a much smaller 3rd one but the damages will be done later.

A pile of rubble, will provide some LOS-blocking and cover from my shooting.

I played a game yesterday with some friends, and they liked it. Hopefully I can get them into a campaign and get them to start painting up their old warhammer miniatures again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 11:25

Welcome back to the hobby, it will eat your time and soul.

The handmade base looks great and I think the second chainmail looks slightly better.
perhaps some shades would make the skin look more natural.

I look forward to seeing more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 11:54

The skin has like 4-5 layers of paint, started with vallejo dark flesh and highlighted from there. Guess I need to leave more shading in the recesses and/or use a wash for the skin too. But it looks better in person, I swear Embarassed

I tried a new technique and added white to the brightest silver color I had to highlight the armor, before that I just did chainmail>wash>silver. Unfortunately I messed some of the shading from the wash up too, but I guess I'll get a hang of it with more practice.

Thanks for the comment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 13:13

WELCOME BACK! Your Pointy Eared Ones & scenery look FINE...like you were only away for a short time. Your brushwork & basing are TERRIFIC...skin tones often get paled out in photos. Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 16:09

Well, I have finished the wip shadow warriors and the rubble pile. I have also tried taking better pictures, but light is still an issue. I hope these pics are better though Smile

Here are the finished shadow warriors, still not happy with the scale armour hopefully it will be better on the next two that have already been primed and gotten their bases sculpted!

And here is the finished rubblepile:

Of course it warped Sad does anyone have any tips for basing on CDs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jerry_O
Captain
Captain

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 16:34

Quote :
does anyone have any tips for basing on CDs?

Just glue 3-4 CDs together. That should do it. Maybe you can fix the finished piece this way.

Apart from that good work Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 16:38

Thanks! Well, kind of ruined it anyway by pressing down on the uneven part. Something cracked and the CD separated into two parts. I'll have to try gluing it back again and stabilizing it with more old CDs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 6 Jan 2013 - 19:02

Too bad about the warped CD ; I wish you good luck with the fix...that's a pretty cool terrain piece. HOWEVER, the Elven Lads look GREAT in the new photo... brushwork & basing are VERY NICELY DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 5 May 2013 - 15:06

The shadow warriors where finished quite some time ago, I just haven't bothered taking pictures.

Also some early wip shots of the shadowl walkers, the one to the left has only been primed and washed to bring out the details. The only thing done on the walker to the right is the face, this time it was done with a purple basecoat, which worked out really well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 5 May 2013 - 15:10

I have also started work on an undead warband. Two zombies and two skeletons are done, one zombie and skeletal liche have just been basecoated. Zombies are old citadel, the skeletons are from megaminis.

I'm not really happy with the green jacket on the zombie with ball & chain. It just looks wrong :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 5 May 2013 - 17:03

The Pointy Eared Ones & their Living Impaired Associates look TERRIFIC...nice brushwork all around. While the green on the Zombie looks fine to moi, you're the only one whose opinion counts on this. We do work with a very forgiving medium; SO if it annoys you change it...a dark green wash might make it more Zombie chic. At any rate, WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Mon 6 May 2013 - 8:24

Love seeing the Brew House Bash map underneath the minis and terrain. The second set of elves seem softer than the first batch, is that lighting/background or did you change your paint style?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Mon 6 May 2013 - 14:23

DeafNala: Thanks! And you're right, maybe I should try a dark green wash.

Von Kurst: Yeah, my table doesn't work so well as background for taking pictures, and bringing out the gaming table just for some pictures seemed a bit overkill so in came the Brew House Bash map. If by second batch you mean the photos uploaded in my most recent post as compared to the old ones, well they are the same figures. Improved lightning, some work with gimp makes a ton of difference. Still haven't perfected the technique but I'm at least learning something (I hope Smile ). Varnish also does quite a lot, all models have received a coat of daler rowneys gloss varnish followed by matt varnish. Helps tying all the colors together, removes that terriblel shine and protects them from that awful chipping Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and the warping of the CD base was fixed by gluing it to another CD as advised by Jerry_O!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Tue 28 May 2013 - 7:11

Finally got a minute to take som pictures of the two finished undead, a zombie and a skeletal liche. Still struggling with taking decent pictures, but you get the idea. I'm currently waiting for two more zombies to show up in the mail. In the meantime I'll have to figure out what to use for the dregs. Any suggestions?

Also here's a wip shot of the Shadow Walker. The wood grain on the shield looks wrong so it will be redone, but most of all I'm wondering about the shoulder pads and what color to paint them. I have tried to keep the number of different colors used to a minimum. I'd love to hear some comments and suggestions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Tue 28 May 2013 - 7:44

COOL STUFF...I really like the Zombie & the gem on the Pointy Eared One! GOOD WORK! thumbsup
For the shoulder pads & the sword hilt, you might consider a golden shade; it would contrast nicely with the silver. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Tue 28 May 2013 - 7:59

Thanks! Heh, I thought about gold too but have tried to stay away from gold. I know that I have used gold on the other ones but I still think it should be possible to find another color, without adding to much. Still don't know which one! Although I asked a friend, and he too suggested gold. Maybe I should take it as a sign

I'm going for a mostly black/grey/silver look inspired by Tolkiens Numenorians.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qazbnm
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Sun 28 Jul 2013 - 8:10

Here are the latest additions to my Mordheim warbands. As usual they were finished a while ago but I haven't bothered to take pictures.

I also made a little road sign out of a piece of skewer and some scrap bits of balsa. It got the generic fantasy treatment to work in as many settings as possible!

I tried an old school freehand shield design on the zombies shield. Unfortunately I overdid the orange glaze which took away some of the highlights and depth of the design. Its also a bit assymetrical but I'll probably get better at painting more symmetrical freehands with some practice. For a first attempt I think it went really well and I'll definitely be doing more old school shields in the future.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: qazbnm's WIP thread   Today at 21:38

Back to top Go down

qazbnm's WIP thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1