Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ideas for spicing up a campaign...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DrHobo
Champion
Champion
DrHobo

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for spicing up a campaign...   Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2012 - 9:27

Yes, people, I am still alive! And no, my table still isn't finished rabbit

However, today I have a totally different problem which I'd totally appreciate your help with.

We're currently running a eight-player, turn based campaign. We got a hex map of Mordheim, our starting points, some special locations (the Academy gives the warband that controls it the ability to hire a warlock without paying the "to hire" fee, for example).

We play 15 rounds with two actions per player (so that's a minimum of two games per round), each round takes place over two weeks (some of us are working full time, so we decided to take it easy), using the rules for Weather and Random Encounters (how nice it is to see a Bretonnian warband struggle with intense heat, with a Bloodletter running around the table...) and a very competent City Guard that defends every unclaimed city hex that gets mightier along with the warbands.

Since I am running the campaign, I want to keep my players on their toes by introducing a few special events. But I need a few ideas...

... what I have so far:

The Elector Count's Tourney

Each Warband nominates a champion to fight during the Elector Count's Tournament. It's a simple K.O.-system Tournament.

Blades only, no Missile Weapons.

Participants DO NOT collect Experience Points during the Tournament, however, they can die (Injury Table results of "Sold to the Pits", "Captured" or "Robbed", for example, are re-rerolled)

Rewards range from experience and gold up to magical items.

---

The Plague

Before each game, roll a D6 for every member of your warband. At a 1-3, this model is sick and may not fight in this game.

---

The Witch Hunts

For the next three Rounds (that's 6 weeks), every player that plays against a warband with a sorcerer gains the support of one of the dreaded Witch Hunters. Use the rules for the Mounted Road Warden. Warbands that use sorcerers don't get that kind of support.

---

What do you think of it so far? I'm going to need five or six special events for the whole campaign.

Also, I'd need some idea on how to expand our warbands. We have played 7 to 8 games so far, and most warbands are at maximum number right now, with no free space on the Heroes roster if a "Lad's got talent" gets rolled...
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for spicing up a campaign...   Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2012 - 12:33

Since you're running the campaign, you could add a few strong monsters on the map and play them yourself to create havoc (and casualities) on your players.

If I remember well there are a few in the Chaos in the street arcticle and some more in the Border town burning supplement.

Personnaly I use D&D miniatures for representing them, they are cheap and prepainted.

Some day, I'll make a special scenario where 2-3 warbands have to face THE colossal red dragon... and give a bunch of treasure for the survivors.

I drool to put the dragon on the table and see the awe in the players faces ! Will they join forces or will they fight to the end to get the treassure for themself ? Will the dragon win so the warbands will have to reequip and recruit before trying to avenge their fallen comrades?
Back to top Go down
Vagabond
Ancient
Ancient
Vagabond

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for spicing up a campaign...   Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Icon_minitimeMon 3 Dec 2012 - 17:00

Give each player/warband, in secret, some personal goal to achieve! Perhaps searching in particular part of city, looking for some special character (dramatis personas), or capturing certain kind of monster, etc.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for spicing up a campaign...   Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Icon_minitimeTue 4 Dec 2012 - 2:54

I am curious why you don't just use the Witch Hunter Hired sword from the Nemesis Crown campaign for your Witch Hunter...

Quote :
Also, I'd need some idea on how to expand our warbands. We have played 7 to 8 games so far, and most warbands are at maximum number right now, with no free space on the Heroes roster if a "Lad's got talent" gets rolled...
I don't understand what you are asking. Could you explain what the issue is?

We use a lot of hired swords once a warband reaches its full membership. Also Halfling Cookbooks.
Back to top Go down
Zero2Hero-DK
General
General
Zero2Hero-DK

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for spicing up a campaign...   Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Icon_minitimeTue 4 Dec 2012 - 8:41

The idea of expanding the warband has struck me as well.

My suggestion is to have warbands be able to split up, so the owner can control several warbands, but still restricted to the 6 heroes as normal in total. This would then enable each team to hire members to the warband maximum, and have heroes lead task forces around town.

To be fair, keep the normal limit of warriors in the case of more than one of the owned warbands are stationed in the same territory, and fighting an opposing warband. In this case you would be able to assemble the task force from the warbands stationed at the territory as you see fit.

Use the fluff that the team captain can't control that many members at once, so in his own security of being victim of mutiny, he limits his task force to manageable numbers...

Just an idea Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Zero2Hero.tabletopgeeks.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for spicing up a campaign...   Ideas for spicing up a campaign... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas for spicing up a campaign...
Page 1 of 1