Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Quick guide for Warband models

Go down 
+4
JohnYoung
WarbossKurgan
Axel
Duce
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Quick guide for Warband models Empty
PostSubject: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008 - 14:48

Hey,

I posted this on another topic but was wondering if it would benefit newer players enough to be put into a sticky somewhere?

I didn't make the list so no credit to me, it was taken from a thread on specalist games. Quite handy for new people who want to get a warband and not sure what to buy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warbands that can be assembled from one plastic box:
Mercenaries - Empire militia (duh) or Brettonian men-at-arms (lots of equipment options from the command group spure, if your not going for a ranged warband)

Skaven - Night runners (duh) or plague monks for a different look (or the two combined)

Outlaws - Brettonian archers (even comes with the cleric!)

Shadow warriors - High elf archers (lack some equipment options though, helps alot to add the plastic mage and/or lord spure to the mix for more personalized models)

Warbands that require one or two blisters, or boxes:
Witch hunters - empire militia combined with the plastic flagellants (still needs them war dogs)

Dwarven treasure hunters - Thunderes combined with some slayers

Beastmen - the beastmen warriors box plus one centigor and perhaps one minotaur

Chaos Marauder warbands - Warriors of Chaos Boxed set, perhaps a few metal chaos warrior characters too.

Dark Elves - Plastic Corsairs.

Ogre Warband - Ogre Bulls and Gnoblar boxed set (both plastic).

Orc warband - any plastic orc and/or goblin boxed sets.

Kislevites - Mercenary boxed set w/ a few conversions (and a bear).

Wizarding Warband - Mercenary/Flagelents/and the new Empire Wizard plastic kit could probably do for you.

Any Undead - Skeleton/Ghoul boxed sets, perhaps the new plastic dire wolves, empire wizard plastic kit for necromancer, and 1 metal vampire.

Halfling warband - Just a box of gnoblars with flesh-colour paint would be fine.

If ever there's a valid Daemon warband made, there's plastic slaanesh/khorne daemons.

Anyone think its useful? if not feel free to delete the post Very Happy

General
General
Axel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008 - 19:27

its really good too see if you just started (or thinking about another warband)
tnx for posting
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008 - 19:46

Add "a good proportion of plastic Ork bitz" to the Orc list! Quick guide for Warband models 387809
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
JohnYoung
General
General
JohnYoung

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008 - 21:37

Nice :] My 2 cents:

Dark elves: add the basic warrior regiment box (forgot the name) for a bit of variety, for the commander sprue & some arms and heads.

Witch hunter: I havent succeded in making a decent priest with plastic bitz. Definitly need a metal one from empire, bretonnian or witch hunters

Skaven: Can't make a rat-ogre out of plastic night runner Razz SORRY TRY AGAIN!

Sister of sigamr: You forgot those ^^.All metal, maybe you can make something of the 40k one, though. Never tried anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/skankinriot
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008 - 21:55

I made up a really cool Priest of Morr from the Empire Wizard kit.

The 40K Ork kit is also very usable with the Fantasy kit for a less armoured look, & some of the metals, particularly the Grots would work well with a modicum of work for their Fantasy Brethren.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008 - 22:17

For starting a skaven warband, I think a rat-ogre won't be necessary. And depending on the amount of games you get, it won't be for quite some time. And then, after you've decides you'll stick with this warband, you can always buy an extra ogre.
Back to top Go down
JohnYoung
General
General
JohnYoung

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008 - 23:50

+Then you still need some giant rats because you get 1 per sprue in the clan rat box and 0 in night runner box . I still win, sorry.

But yes. Rat-ogre are kind of useless unless you plan on playing 10+games with your warband or if you are a wicked bastard that love to start with 6 heroes and a rat-ogre.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/skankinriot
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeThu 28 Aug 2008 - 10:05

Eliazar wrote:
For starting a skaven warband, I think a rat-ogre won't be necessary. And depending on the amount of games you get, it won't be for quite some time. And then, after you've decides you'll stick with this warband, you can always buy an extra ogre.

Was about to say the same thing Razz

I don't think a rat ogre is wise until the players got a few games under their belt so no need in the beginning.

Though I reckon some green stuff could make one along with a skaven from the box set.

Also the Mordheim box set didn't have rats i think so would still be the same as someone buying it Razz

Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeThu 28 Aug 2008 - 10:09

JohnYoung wrote:
if you are a wicked bastard that love to start with 6 heroes and a rat-ogre.

I've seen it done. And successfully, to my amazement.
The argument being that it is extremely hard to save up 250gc during a campaign.

But I agree with you guys, taking a rat ogre right at the start is usually not very lucrative.

GMillar
Champion
Champion
GMillar

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2008 - 11:53

For the Chaos Marauder warband - shouldn't it be a box of Marauders, not Warriors? Unless someone wants a warband clad entirely in heavy armour...

IMHO Undead is probably one of the hardest to start, model-wise, unless you already have some of them, or at least a large collection of bits. Think about it, Vampire, Necro, Dreg, Zombie, Ghoul, Wolf. You could get away with using the more alive-looking plastic Zombie bits for the Dregs, but other than that, they really all need seperate blisters or kits.

Last edited by GMillar on Fri 5 Sep 2008 - 11:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left word out :P)
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2008 - 11:59

GMillar wrote:
For the Chaos Marauder warband - shouldn't it be a box of Marauders, not Warriors? Unless someone wants a warband clad entirely in heavy armour...

IMHO Undead is probably one of the hardest to start, model-wise, unless you already have some of them, or at least a large collection of bits. Think about it, Vampire, Necro, Dreg, Zombie, Ghoul, Wolf. You could get away with using the more alive-looking plastic Zombie bits for the Dregs, but other than that, they really all need seperate blisters or kits.

As a new player though you wouldnt worry as much about making totally unique characters, the boxes would atleast allow you the models to practise with which you could expand on if you enjoy it

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2008 - 12:54

For the Living Impaired: the "new" Skeletons, Grave Guard, & Crypt Ghouls ROCK, AND with ONLY ten minis per box you're NOT looking at an over-kill purchase. A box of Uberuseful Zombies is,of course a MUST. AND the Corpse Cart is an ABSOLUTE-MUST-HAVE; check out UnderBheit's Undead [CAVEAT: cover your keyboard to avoid drenching it with drool Suspect ].

To the above I'd add a bix of Empire Militia, &, if you're a sport, a box of State Troops & a plastic Wizard box. The plentophoria of extra bits & bob will give you a tremendous a mount of cool thingys to do up one or more warbands, & probably enough to come up with a Witch Hunter, or Mercenary group of opponents for variety [or the visiting fireman syndrome Suspect ].

You'll probably have to spring for the [PERFECT] Vampire mini in metal, although I'm experimenting with some Empire/Ghoul mixing.

There that should keep you poor, but happy!thumbsup Suspect
Back to top Go down
GMillar
Champion
Champion
GMillar

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2008 - 13:21

In my opinion the Ghouls box would be a far better buy than the Skeletons, since in the vanilla Undead list at least there are no Skeletons. The Corpse Cart certainly has some interesting possibilities, although as far as Necromancers go I really do think that mixing the Ghoul and Wizard kits is simply THE best way.

I've actually been thinking about how to do a plastic vampire. Ghoul heads are an absolute must. As far as the rest goes, the Empire Wizard kit could work, if you replace the random items with weapons. Cool vampires could also be made by combining Ghoul bits with the Empire General kit, Glade Guard kit, or even kits like the High Elf Mage or Chaos Marauders.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2008 - 13:26

You've GOT TO check out the Necromancer at the end of UnderBhiet's Undead to see what an UNBELIEVEABLY cool model you can make from the Corpse Cart Driver!Karate
Back to top Go down
GMillar
Champion
Champion
GMillar

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitimeFri 5 Sep 2008 - 14:10

I've seen it, and it is amazing, but you should see what can be done with the Ghoul/Wizard combo affraid

PS. I just checked out the Grave Guard models, and if you combined it strategically with the Ghouls kit I think you could make a really cool vampire model.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick guide for Warband models   Quick guide for Warband models Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick guide for Warband models
Page 1 of 1