HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

the warband of Azrog Blacksoul

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 4:08

Hi there!

Me and some friends recently begun toying with the idea of starting a mordheim campaign.. When we chose warbands, i settled for Dwarf Treasure Hunters - but with a twist!

I dont fancy the newer dwarf models, and have been in love with Chaos Dwarves since FW released their infernal guard. I then started scurrying the web for official CD rules, but couldn't find any... Then after a short talk with my gaming group, i was allowed to play DTH, but with Chaos Dwarf miniatures Smile

Then i started pondering about which miniatures to use for my warband.. FW was out of the question, since im a cheapskate, and really dont wanna throw that much money after a bunch of minis (even though, they are nice minis). Like so many others before me, i settled on BFSP as the cheapest and easiest way to get a good looking CD warband.. I quickly made a prototype for a henchman (clansman or beardling), and here is how he ended up:

Im rather satisfied with the result, when i think about how little time it actually took.. As you can see, i made him some heavier armour, and went with the more modern mask/helmet style.. I really can't stand the old tophats.. I also tried to make him as different as possible from the original BFSP model as i could..

Here he is with a tester on the possible paintscheme of the warband: (And yes, my gritty paint style is not at its best when the pictures are this big ^^ )

I really like bonecoloured armour, and went with that instead of the traditional black and red.. I think its looks rather alien and menacing.. just to my liking Smile

I also started modelling the first hero for the warband - the engineer, or in this case. the daemon smith.. He is armed with a mace/hammer and a crossbow-thingy..

props to the guy who can tell which model served as the base for him..

He has a different style of armour than the henchman, and a much more details.. but thats one of the nice things about warbands.. they don't have to look as coherent as units in warhammer..

Thanks for looking, please drop a comment if you like my work, and stay tuned for more chaos dwarf goodness Smile

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HumanFly
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 4:28

Great greenstuff work and paintjob too,
i like overall the engineer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 5:14

nice paintjob!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 6:27

The Short Evil Ones look pretty darned good. I like your color choices on the painted Guy; your brushwork survives the closeups quite nicely. Your sculpting is SPLENDID; while it adds to the production time, it gives you a unique War Band. Keep up the EXCELLENT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 7:59

Cool stuff! I like your modelling. If the rest of the warband is as interesting as these two, you'll have done a great job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 10:28

Thank you so much everybody Smile Its nice when you experienced guys welcome a newbie as me so warmly Smile

I really like to convert and sculpt, so a CD warband was a nice opportunity for me.. Im also toying with the idea of making a pitfighter band..

But back to the dwarfs.. A nice soul on CD-online pointed me to these unofficial rules for a CD-warband, and i wondered if one of you experienced guys would take a look on the list, and see if its balanced enough Smile

https://www.box.com/s/c7dbf48fb8cee66870c3

Thanks in advance..

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 11:00

Use the Black dwarf list from the Border town Burning rules, they are as official as any list is ever going to be.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzXjWYwhLwQLSUM3TG1ZbmkySWM
Back to top Go down
View user profile Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 11:15

I have seen that list, but doesn't really like the feel of it.. to much emphasis on the slaving-part i guess.. And the engine/machine just seemed weird..

Id rather use the Dwarf Treasure hunter list, but if my gaming group allow it, i think i will try the one i posted..

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 12:33

Horsleben wrote:
I have seen that list, but doesn't really like the feel of it.. to much emphasis on the slaving-part i guess.. And the engine/machine just seemed weird..

Id rather use the Dwarf Treasure hunter list, but if my gaming group allow it, i think i will try the one i posted..

- Jon

You realise that potentially 8 members of that warband could capture any model they take OOA on a 6+, some potentially with re-rolls for the overseers.

Combined with 5 possible initial dwarf heroes + hatred versus dwarves... this warband maybe more "fluffy" but IMO it's over the top and needs to be toned down.
Back to top Go down
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 13:35

Good points Maxxev.. haven't decided which lists to use..

Quick update from the sculpting table..

The start of a henchman with two handweapons:

And the very small beginning of my noble/overseer..

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 13:45

Judging from the Noble, you pretty much do the minis from scratch...VERY IMPRESSIVE! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 14:05

I've commented twice now and completely missed saying that the sculpting looks great.

This one in partucluar I really like:
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 14:07

DeafNala wrote:
Judging from the Noble, you pretty much do the minis from scratch...VERY IMPRESSIVE! Shocked

I'm not saying that Horsleben coulden;t do it, but I find the hardest part about sculpting from scratch is actually getting the dimensions of the model right, moving from converting to scratch sculpting is unfortunately not as easy as it seems (least it wasn't for me!! lol).
Back to top Go down
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Wed 26 Sep 2012 - 14:16

Thanks guys! I pretty much Think maxxev hit the vein, with the last comment.. I simply haven't sculpted enough to get all the propositions right, and og you screw those up, the whole mini will look bad.. Thats why i go through all the hassle of grinding down these old minis, and sculpting from the leftovers.. Its simply a lot safer and easier for me Smile

-Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Thu 27 Sep 2012 - 4:43

This mornings work included finishing the henchman with two handweapons:

I have added his weapons and some shoulder armour, and i consider him done now.. Im rather satisfied, considering he only took about 2 hours to make..

I made som progress on the Noble too (i have decided to use the Dwarf Treasure Huntes list) Im working slowly on this one, since i dont wanna screw anything up.. hes the leader after all Smile

He looks a bit massive and clunky, but i think the beard and other details will help with that.. Im planning to make his arms interchangeable, so i can make different gear for him..

Thanks for looking..

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Thu 27 Sep 2012 - 5:41

VERY COOL! Watching your pieces develop is a treat. GREAT WORK! thumbsup

The only turn off for moi with Chaos Dwarfs is the lack of faces...I love painting faces. The C.D. look like short metallic automatons...with some exhaust pipes they'd be really cool steam punk Guys. Rules-wise how are you going to handle all that armor? What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Thu 27 Sep 2012 - 9:37

me on the other hand, I HATE painting faces... perhaps I should play chaos dwarves lol. Loving the first guy, on the noble if i'm honest, some of the scale mail looks a little curved (all plates should really be flat), I also think he could have used more dremmeling where the armour meets the cloak... sorry .
Back to top Go down
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Thu 27 Sep 2012 - 13:47

Thanks for the great replies guys Smile

- Maxxev - Dont be sorry mate.. I post on this forum to get contructive critique on my work, and yours is exactly the kind of comments i like.. I can see what you mean, and i think its one of the reasons why he looks clunky.. I have filed the armour down a bit, and i think it helps alot.. When i work on him tommorow, i think i will do the beard and maybe the other arm socket.. Do you guys think his helmet should have horns?

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sliver
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Fri 28 Sep 2012 - 1:23

Cool stuff!
I've been building a Chaos Dwarf warband based on the Treasure Hunters rules in my head the last month. So its great to see someone with that same basic thought, but a whole other approach to creating the warband! I'm more of a bitzbasher than a greenstuff guy, but I can appreciate your work for sure! I find the beards particularly fancy.

I'll follow this closely!

I'd say go for horns! The more details that differentiate them from regular stuff, the better! Emblems, chaos runes, demonic features, spikes, horns, you name it.

What is your ideas for the Slayers? I thought about basing mine on the Avatars of War Berzerkers, so give me a yell if you'd want to split a box of those.

Looking at your Deamon Smith (and well, realizing that the Treasure Hunters got some quite sweet shooty options) I recon you'll go along the shooty path atleast slightly. What are your ideas for that, will you stick with the smaller weapons like the one on your Deamon Smith, or do you aim for hand guns (or shooting weapon mastery => blunderbuss)? I'm thinking I'll start off more combat/durability focused, but have been thinking a bit about the blackpowder weapons. Those 40k vehicle vent decorations have crossed my mind, making for nice nozzles, but dont know quite yet what to base the guns on appart from that.

Will you run Hire Swords heavy? I'm considering doing that, as the +1 wyrdstone after each battle helps solidify the income, and the Hire Swords can help diversify a slow (but sturdy!) dwarf warband. Warlock or witch could allow for some nice chaos dwarf sorcerer conversion. And maybe it is even suitable to use a Bull Centaur as an Ogre Bodyguard?

Hope you dont mind the long post. Keep inspired!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Fri 28 Sep 2012 - 3:56

- Sliver - I dont mind the long post at all mate Smile Im just happy that you like my work and would like to hear my thoughts Smile I chose the GS-path to start with, since i really like sculpting, and likes to get better at it.. I thought about kitbashing, but since i didnt have that many chaos-bits, it would be difficult and a rather costly affair for me - hence the choice of sculpting Smile

I pretty much think i have decided on horns too - just to make him stand out Smile I have this idea of using the old marauder bannertop, and then cut the metal-spikes off it, and use those as ornaments on his helmet (hope it makes sense, if not - wait for picture Smile )

About the slayers i have had quite a few ideas.. My first idea was to make som kind of lesser K'daai, y'know - lava elementals or something.. just glue some small stones and slate together, sculpt some flames, and arm them with fire/lava weapons.. But then i thought some more, and just couldnt justify how "bound" daemons could be heroes, and kinda scrapped the idea.. Then my next idea was to make some kind of relativly unarmoured beserker types (kinda like the uruk hai berserkers from LOTR) - the model would have a helmet to cover his face (since i cant sculpt faces AT ALL!) a shorter than normal beard, naked torse with red tattoos and a skirt/maybe with a scalemail loincloth.. and i think thats the idea im going for.. According to splitting a box of AOW berserkers - it is tempting, but think i will kitbash or scratchbuild mine Smile

The daemonsmith is mostly there to fill all of my hero choices.. and since he gives his shooting-bonus, it would be stupid not arming him with some kind og ranged weapon.. Im a bit at loss at how to arm him and the henchmens though.. it would make most sense to give them handguns, but since i have heard they are pretty useless (or atleast subpar to crossbows) im currently trying to figure out how to arm them with crossbows.. maybe i make somekind of makeshift fireglaives and say they count as crossbows?

About the hired swords - im pretty new to mordheim, so havent really thought about it.. my starter warband will be dwarfs exclusivly.. how it evolves from there, i dont know though Smile The hired swords definatly gives you an opportunity to include some of the other CD-units in your list.. Yours are pretty nice ideas, and i might have to nick a few of those Wink

On the modelling front i have worked some more on the Noble this morning, and here is the progress i have made:

As you can see i have added beard, beardarmour and the beginning om the left arm.. And i have filed/cut the bulging scalemail down.. it just looked unnatural, and is much better now.. i only have to do the detail work now, make some hands and some shoulderplates.. and maybe add some horns to the helmet to distinquish him as a leader?

Oh, and here is what i use all those spare clumps of GS too.. You can afford to do a little extra with your bases, since this is mordheim Smile

Thanks for looking Smile

- Jon

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Essmir.wolf
Hero
Hero

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Sat 29 Sep 2012 - 15:41

You actually make chaos dwarfs locking god Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Horsleben
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Sun 30 Sep 2012 - 13:25

Thanks for the kind words Essmir.wolf Smile

I have finished sculpting my Noble tonight.. He didnt get any horns, because the axes was in the way Smile

And i begun the work on another henchman

Thanks for looking..

- Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Sun 30 Sep 2012 - 15:14

The Noble is suitably impressive...EXCELLENT sculpting & positioning. On the horns: you could give him a couple of stumps on the helmet & the pointy part on the ground by his feet. clown That aside, GREAT WORK! Keep us updated on the new Guy. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Tue 2 Oct 2012 - 0:14

Nice job!
May i suggest you to take some time and sharp his armour's edges? Both for helm and shoulder pads. You could use a file or a cutter..depending to how firm are your hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/pages/Drakkols-workshop/294017540629240
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Tue 2 Oct 2012 - 2:07

Goodlooking bunch i general Smile but what really catches the eyes is the noble and that fantastic pose you've put him in! Smile
I've never been able to figure out if i love or hate chaos dwars, but its one or the other Wink your warband puts me a bit further in the direction of "love" Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the warband of Azrog Blacksoul   Today at 2:41

Back to top Go down

the warband of Azrog Blacksoul
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next