Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???

Go down 
+4
maxxev
Von Kurst
Drayven
Goglutin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Empty
PostSubject: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 0:39

Hi,

I do paint for about 4 years now and when I bought my paint set (second hand) there are three inks I never used and I wonder what would be thier use ?

One is really Bright yellow (like bad moon yellow), the other is bright red (like red gore) and the other is bright orange (like blood angel orange).

Someone can explain me waht they can be used for... I really dont know ...

Thx
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 2:54

I know that Blazing Orange can be stippled on to brown to create rust, maybe blood angel orange can do the same?
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 3:00

To create rust I use chestnut and its perfect !! That orange ink is REALLY bright and I don't think it will give a good rust effect... I'll give it a try tough.
Back to top Go down
Drayven
Knight
Knight
Drayven

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 3:18

Oh, inks, my bad Razz
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 6:11

A very long time ago you could use inks to paint your miniatures. This was common in the 90s at least here in the midwestern USA. We used white undercoats and then just painted everything with inks. It was quick and required little shading since the inks would naturally provide their own. I think it fell out of favor because the inks tended to give a glossy finish.

I still use inks to give colors depth. For example you can apply your yellow ink over a yellow paint. I also use the red for blood effects on weapons, etc. And you can use the orange for rust effects at full strength or dilluted. I tend to mix a little in with the chestnut, for example.

Yellow and orange are also great for blonde and reddish hair. Just undercoat white and wash the ink over the hair. Instant blonde, or whatever. Since you can mix colors with the inks they can do almost anything you would want.
Back to top Go down
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 13:34

Thx for you comments.

I do still use inks and washes too ! As I'm not a very good painter they help a lot with depth ( as you told).

But those three colors are totally useless to create depth because they are too bright ! Red can be used for pink but its not a color I use much...

I once used orange to create depth for yellow and the result was interesting but I prefer to use Gryphonne Sepia wash now.

But yellow is still a real mystery ?? I tried to use it on white (nevermore Shocked ). I tried to use it on yellow and there was no effet at all (its too bright)...

Anyway, thx again ! Wink
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 21:35

I've used red over orange to darken the shade.... but in the recesses it looked red so I had to wash with a brown afterwards... deep intense shade in the end, kind of cool but not what I was going for at all... It could be used to add shading to an orange on the underside I supose.

Yeah i've not figured out what to do with my Yelloe yet... also I have a green ink which is more turquoise, I don't know what to do with that either, I must buy some grubby green ink from somplace. lol
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Goglutin
Elder
Elder
Goglutin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2012 - 21:45

Green ink can be used to create ''vert-de-gris'' effect on copper Wink. But Turquoise .. erh... I don't know either.
Back to top Go down
Radical_Edward
Warrior
Warrior
Radical_Edward

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2012 - 2:59

I apply them directly over white basecoats to give a really bright yellow finish. I use it pretty sparingly, I don't paint a lot of things yellow, and my Marienburg army probably accounts for nearly all of my yellow and bright red usage.
Back to top Go down
Lord of Lustria
Warrior
Warrior
Lord of Lustria

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeSun 18 Nov 2012 - 5:10

I use orange ink for my lizardmen salamanders
Back to top Go down
ghostbear
Veteran
Veteran
ghostbear

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeTue 20 Nov 2012 - 21:14

They can be used as glazes to enhance the colour of the underlying paint, or to tone down the colours if you have gone a little too far on the highlight.

One way I've done gems in the past was a base of gold, with a number of layers of ink - builds up a deep, rich, gem-like colour.

Back to top Go down
http://warpedreality.wordpress.com/
Unwanted
Warlord
Warlord
Unwanted

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitimeThu 13 Dec 2012 - 23:17

Those particular inks are best used after you've painted the corresponding colour onto a model, and after doing the highlights, it'll help make the colour richer, and tie it together. Also, while the glossyness can be a problem, this can be remedied with a matte varnish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???   What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the uses of yellow, bright red and orange inks ???
Page 1 of 1