Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Help with Henchmen

Go down 
+3
maxxev
Citizen Sade
Arcticnerd
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Arcticnerd

Arcticnerd

Trading Reputation : 0

Help with Henchmen  Empty
PostSubject: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 0:19

Ok so I am a long time Warhammer player but I am new to Mordheim. It all seems pretty strait forward except I am having trouble working out some parts of the Henchmen rules.

When building your warband the rules state that henchmen can be purchased in groups of 1-5. I am not really clear on what this means. Does it mean that I can only by up to 5 of one type of henchmen at a time?

I understand that henchmen gain experience and advancements as a group but it seems as the campaign goes on members of the group will die off. So whats the point of even tracking them as a group? Or do new henchmen also gain the experience of the group they are joining?

If someone could help me out here that would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 0:44

Unless restricted by the warband rules (e.g. 0-5 Darksouls for Possessed), you can buy as many henchmen as you can affford. If, however, you buy more than 5, then they need to be placed in separate groups of no more than 5 figures.

Tracking henchmen as a group makes life easier as they all get the same thing when then advance e.g. +1 WS, +1 T or whatever. There is the option to add new members to an existing henchmen group (see page 102 of the rulebook) which allows you to add more men to those groups which have had advances that are particularly useful such as additional attacks.
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 9:22

Citizen Sade wrote:
Unless restricted by the warband rules (e.g. 0-5 Darksouls for Possessed), you can buy as many henchmen as you can affford. If, however, you buy more than 5, then they need to be placed in separate groups of no more than 5 figures.

Tracking henchmen as a group makes life easier as they all get the same thing when then advance e.g. +1 WS, +1 T or whatever. There is the option to add new members to an existing henchmen group (see page 102 of the rulebook) which allows you to add more men to those groups which have had advances that are particularly useful such as additional attacks.

So as not to cause confusion, note that Henchmen cannot gain +1T, otherwise everything above is correct Wink.

The advantage is admin of the unit, plus if there are more guys in a unit that gains a particularily useful advance (+1A for instance) or ExP on the way to an advance it means that they will all have to be killed off before you loose that useful advance.
e.g. if you have a unit with 5 EXP and only one guy, when he dies you loose all that EXP, if there were three guys in the unit all three have to die.
You can recruit new guys for units, to put them into a hencmen group that already has EXP though you have to be able to recruit guys with the same level of EXP (see pg 102 as stated above (I don't have the rulebook here but I'm guessing that is what Sade was referring to... lol)).
Back to top Go down
Http://maxxev.blogspot.co.uk
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 10:08

Most people I know start out their warband with as many one-man henchmen groups as possible, in hopes of an early "lads got talent". another advantage with this approach is that you have several chances to get that critical advance (+1 W or A depending on the type) and then buy into that particular group.

Edit: Oh! and welcome to the forum! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 16:52

yep, I do the same as Stronzo, lots of 1 man groups, and fire / hire as the level progressions start.

Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 19:51

@Stronzo Henchmen don't get W advance or am I missing something... Shocked
Making 1 man henchmen group has it's advantages but some of your warriors (especially expensive ones) are "safer" in groups of at least two. Safer - when you loose flagellant or beastmen you'll still get an advance if they're in group of 2 and one of them dies. my opinion of course.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 20:14

I think Stronzo meant WS for henchmen... although a 2-wound henchman group would be nasty! I also feel the need to point out the "Prisoners" exploration result (three-of-a-kind 3's) that results in a henchmen group getting another member, assuming you can equip him with similar gear. This can be REALLY great for S4 2A Swordsmen or BS4 Crossbowmen. (Though it's only for "good" aligned groups).
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeWed 15 Aug 2012 - 23:51

Doesn't the prisoner also state "human" (I can't remember, but I seem to recall I ended up with a human in my Dwarf warband that way).....
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug 2012 - 17:48

catachang, the strategy isnt to leave henchmen groups at 1.

its to split them up into multiple groups to see which groups get the best stat advances. the ones who get initiative and leadership... usually get fired.
the ones who get WS, Str, or A, get more troops hired. the idea is to get a henchmen group with the 4 best upgrades and max them out in troops.

if you start with 5 man groups from game 1, you might get stuck with a group of henchmen with LD, Init, WS and BS (and you cant even take missile weapons for them).
Back to top Go down
maxxev
Ancient
Ancient
maxxev

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug 2012 - 18:46

Zekk wrote:
catachang, the strategy isnt to leave henchmen groups at 1.

its to split them up into multiple groups to see which groups get the best stat advances. the ones who get initiative and leadership... usually get fired.
the ones who get WS, Str, or A, get more troops hired. the idea is to get a henchmen group with the 4 best upgrades and max them out in troops.

if you start with 5 man groups from game 1, you might get stuck with a group of henchmen with LD, Init, WS and BS (and you cant even take missile weapons for them).

True but it takes a few games to get up to any advances and if all your one man groups die you loose any EXP that they had accrued.
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug 2012 - 18:49

thtas why you increase henchmen groups in size as they get decent exp advances..

but if youre playing a game where you lose 5+ models per game, then ya, youll have issues. but that kind of reckless play doesnt work well with any strategy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with Henchmen    Help with Henchmen  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with Henchmen
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Rules and Gameplay-
Jump to: