Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board

Go down 
+2
Amheirchion
Eliazar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Empty
PostSubject: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 17:34

Hey folks, after quite some time, I am trying to do a little bit of Mordheim stuff, starting with making a desert/beach-style board for a pirate town. Now I am wondering how I gonna get the sand to stick to the board. I used a few layers of sand and watered down PVA so far and it looks like it's gonna stick, but I am not so sure and before get painting and have everything falling off again, I wondered if anyone got any experience doing desert boards.

So, any tips? Should I cover all the sand with another layer of watered down PVA perhaps, or will this have little effect?
Back to top Go down
Amheirchion
Youngblood
Youngblood
Amheirchion

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 17:41

From my limited experience just basing models with sand, another layer of watered down PVA should help to fix the sand in place before you paint it.
Back to top Go down
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 18:34

Spray paint (any kind) have worked well for me when sanding cardboard buildings Smile
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 19:38

I prefer the natural color of sand, so I always go with layers of thinned glue. Once I am happy with the look of the piece I spray it with a couple of coats of matte sealer for good measure.
Back to top Go down
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 19:45

Sealer have worked good for me as well, Smile however for some reason i find that sand, stone and wood always needs to be painted, if it is to look "real" next to my mini's and buildings Smile
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 20:15

Thanks for the tips! It's gonna help a lot, and perhaps I will finally, after almost a decade of being a fan of Mordheim, have some proper scenery Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 20:25

thinned down paint does the trick pretty well I found, basically functions like a wash, so it will auto highlight your board, and it will coat your sand to the board as well.
just make sure the glue is well dried before applying paint.

and to be sure to host a meeting when the table is done! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 22:09

I can tell you exactly how to get what you want with minimal effort and cost (well, kind of).

Go here and scroll down until you see how I worked the sand on the board with a stone effects can:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t5894-on-the-beach

It worked for me in no time (I had to use a hair dryer to speed things up). Seriously, the stone effects can was a saver, as it really gives the right effect and it sticks for a lifetime.

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 23:33

Thanks guys!

And Ezekiel, I sure gonna host a meeting once I got enough terrain and, like, a place to stay with enough space Smile My pirates can't wait to kick your sorry ass again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board   Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Desert Board - How to get the sand to stick to the board
Page 1 of 1