Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?

Go down 
+3
SerialMoM
Stronzo
Spectre76
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Empty
PostSubject: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jun 2012 - 7:29

My friend Travis is our local undead player, and asked me some time ago about using Skeletons as well as zombies in his warband, and I said, 'why not?" After some pondering and more than a little playtesting, here's our idea of Skeletons. It is aliiiive!

Cost: 20 Crowns apiece.
M4 WS2 BS2 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 Ld7
Skeletons are henchmen that never gain Experience. They also have the following special rules:
-Cause Fear
-May not Run
-Immune to Psychology
-Immune to Poison
-No Flesh: Skeletons have an unmodified 5+ save on top of armor against all shooting attacks, as the shots pass right through the spaces between bones.
-Shatter: Skeletons have the following Injury Chart: 1-3 Knocked Down, 4-6 Out of Action
-Skeletons may NOT be chosen/fielded if the Undead Warband does not have a Necromancer in it (ie someone with the ability to cast Necromantic Magic, be it the Vampire or Necromancer himself), as they are animated by his sorcerous will.

(If the Necromancer is taken OoA, the Skeletons fight on, as the Necromancer may not be dead just yet! However, if he DOES die, the skeletons collapse into a pile of bones, and cannot be fielded again until a new Necromancer joins the warband to animate them again.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jun 2012 - 9:31

Its pretty good Smile
In my group we just field them with the zombie rules though. Dead dudes are dead dudes, its a matter of appearance and warband theme Wink
I do like the idea that they have some protection against shooting a lot. Way to often I've seen undeads loose a game without even getting into the fight properly. Smile

Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jun 2012 - 14:29

The Restless Dead warband of bordertown burning supplement includes skelletons.

You can download the rules here : http://www.bordertownburning.de.vu/
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jun 2012 - 22:13

I like it. But shatter is a bit too severe. How about make it give clubs +1 on the injury roll for them? A bone should only shatter when hit by a blunt object, right?

And if you are going to have them be the property of the necromancer, how about add this:

* May march when within the necromancer's ld in inches (ie: ld 7=7 inches)

If gives a much needed bonus, when you can end up losing all of your skeletons (and their gear!) should the necromancer die. Without these two changes, I personally would just stick to ghouls.
Back to top Go down
Shadowphx
Warlord
Warlord
Shadowphx

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jun 2012 - 22:36

My group also just used Skeletons as Zombies as well; Dead is Dead. A miniature is just a representation of the character on the table.

Giving the Warband new henchmen class and ablilties, changes the over all balance.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun 2012 - 1:08

Well said. Besides, regarding background skeletons are much more difficult to construct/resurrect than zombies and mordheim necromancers aren't good ones.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun 2012 - 9:02

Fair points, though we play it that the skeleton's aren't lost, they just can't be fielded until a necromancer re-animates them. Their gear isn't lost either, and can be swapped around as needed and necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Boyos
Hero
Hero
Boyos

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jun 2012 - 20:23

I have enjoyed the skellys we have Travis playing. There not imbalance imo. There more expensive then zombies but can use wepons, we also ruled the raise dead spell or whatever only works on zombies, so when I shatter a skelly he can't raise it since its more like a construct and not like raising a zombie. It's worked well and gave his warband more flavor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?   Skeletons:  a viable option for Undead warbands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skeletons: a viable option for Undead warbands?
Page 1 of 1