Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

G.W. Price Increases

Go down 
+7
JoaoS
WarbossKurgan
Captain Yesterday
Ordo Septenarius
Arahain
Knightei
DeafNala
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

G.W. Price Increases Empty
PostSubject: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSat 26 May 2012 - 16:51

The War Store News Letter's big topic for this month's is G.W's price increase. They have this PDF with the new & old prices:

http://www.thewarstore.com/pdf/TWS2012GW_priceincrease.pdf?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_content=malefactus%40yahoo.com&utm_campaign=TheWarStore+Newsletter%3A+Games+Workshop+Special+Edition

I thought this might be of interest...I won't offer commentary. affraid ...other than that. clown

Back to top Go down
Knightei
Knight
Knight
Knightei

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSat 26 May 2012 - 17:44

Well, GW have done it again... I wonder how it'll affect the UK stores
Back to top Go down
Arahain
Hero
Hero
Arahain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 27 May 2012 - 14:18

I've just posted on another forum about this, do we know when the price increases are going to occur?

Also, with the huge community behind the GW, all of whom are pretty peeved with this, should there be a petition or something to go around? Maybe a temporary boycott?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 27 May 2012 - 15:42

From what The War Store's Newsletter says, the price increase will go into effect May 31. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 27 May 2012 - 19:56

To celebrate the GW price increases, I am having a sale in my eBay store this weekend!

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Gnome-Depot?_rdc=1

Again, 5% off to anyone from Tom's who mentions it!

Come celebrate arbitrary price increases by spending money on Mordheim classics at the Gnome Depot!
Back to top Go down
Captain Yesterday
Champion
Champion
Captain Yesterday

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 27 May 2012 - 20:10

Hardly any surprise here. GW's fiscal year is ending, and the expected annual price increases are coming our way ... like they do almost every year. I even got to take a glimpse at the list of coming changes ... and actually there's been worse (read: more drastic) price increases. As a person who buys something like ... dunno one-point-five to two boxes or blisters of models per quarter, this doesn't really affect me that much.
Also, it's mostly been the large kits, monsters and vehicles that have seen truly significant price jumps in the last couple years, so I'd expect that turn of events once again.
And yeah, of course some people will once again pursue crazy ideas to 'boycott' GW etc. etc.
Well, no one's forcing you to buy their stuff, no ? There's a lot of alternatives out there, and even if it's not complete models ('cause you can't field non-GW models in your local store maybe) there still are ample opportunities to utilize cheaper gaming components for conversions and custom models.
But alright ... I as well miss those days of yonder when I had to pay something akin to two Pounds Sterling for a blister of miniatures, heh.

EDIT: And yes, price changes will occur come June 2012.

Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 27 May 2012 - 21:56

So bored of this conversation. There is no annual universal price rise as such: They increase the price of some items and not others. They are a business that needs to make a profit to satisfy shareholders, they alsso are not inexperienced it this stuff - they know that their product is a luxury and that no one has to buy it (though most fans seem to think they do!). They only ever increase the price to a level they believe the market will tollerate (i.e. enough people will continue to buy it that they still make more money than at the old price, even though they may lose some customers). Their costs are also increasing as things like fuel and materials and other overgeads go up.

It's just a fact of life. They aren't doing anything illegal or immoral so a boycot won't do any good :p
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 27 May 2012 - 23:19

I could be wrong but it seem that no one made any particularly anti-G.W. remarks, W.K.; there was just a general observation that the prices were going up. A 20% or so increase is fairly substantial, but, if you're hooked on their products, I guess you can live with it. Suspect
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeMon 28 May 2012 - 7:41

I probably over reacted! :/ I was a little drunk and a lot tired last night!
Smile sorry folks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Arahain
Hero
Hero
Arahain

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeMon 28 May 2012 - 12:24

I would agree that some of the price rises aren't much to shout about, and boycotting well, it was just an idea I don't think I'd actually manage it myself sadly!

Some of the big kits are having substantial increases though, the Battleforces and 40k scenery are the most notable I believe. This however, in the case of the battleforeces might be in conjunction with 6th Ed. release and an up and coming change in the contents of the boxes?

Examples;

SM Battleforce £60 -> £80

Imperial Sector £51.25 -> £70

Imperial Strongpoint £56.50 -> £85

Please note that these are from memory so are not necessarily exact, checked the prices of GW today and they've not risen just yet.
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSat 9 Jun 2012 - 23:26

My principle here is the same as in everything: if I want it, can afford it and am willing to pay the money, then there is no problem.

As for GW, I'm losing my interest, to be honest. They still have very good kits and models, but lately their new stuff is just too weird for my taste. Fortunately nowadays there are a few dozens of other companies out there that make what I'm looking for.

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
RobinTrevize
Captain
Captain
RobinTrevize

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jun 2012 - 0:35

Price raises are fairly common across the board but it is slightly sucky that GW prices are above the average costs of miniatures anyway.

After looking at the battleforces/battalions after the price change, you are still saving a large amount over buying the individual boxes. Admittedly some of the individual boxes have risen in price as well but the battleforces still make sense as a purchase.

It's a shame that scenery went up but some of the scenery of the last few years is very nice so again it's usually worth paying a little extra.

The only problem that I have with GW prices are some of the books. I won't deny that they are very nicely put together and filled with a ton of awesome content but I buy graphic novels as well and they are now (for the most part) cheaper than most of the codex/army books that are available.
Seeing more get converted to hardback, full colour versions would be appreciated because they seem like better value for money.

All in all, GW does some nice models and the quality of their moulds are usually very good however there are cheaper alternatives and I don't think it's fair to whine about price increases and then continue buying GW products...(A common sight in my local store)

Also of the guys that are seen in the Bedford store, I can't imagine a boycott ever working and the company is worldwide. If someone wants to organise something of that magnitude then I'll happily get involved simply out of respect for the guy that pulled it off...
Back to top Go down
http://www.asmyr.co.uk (Under construction)
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jun 2012 - 4:12

I like the pragmatic 'meh' from this forum - its so much more measured than the frothing at the lips from places like warseer.

I buy a box of miniatures or a single model here and there and then spend four months painting it, so while it does suck the prices are going up, its hardly crushing me or something worth boycotting them for.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2012 - 10:42

Milliardo wrote:
I like the pragmatic 'meh' from this forum - its so much more measured than the frothing at the lips from places like warseer.

I buy a box of miniatures or a single model here and there and then spend four months painting it, so while it does suck the prices are going up, its hardly crushing me or something worth boycotting them for.

Well I guess as Mordheim players, we don't get hit by the price increases as much as some of the others...want a new warband? You only really need to buy one regiment box and some greenstuff, maybe a hero blister or two if you really want it.

Of course some people (including myself ^^') will go out of their way to convert or purchase unique models from various sources etc, but that's our own choice, and it will still work out a hell'ova lot cheaper than a 2000 point WHFB or 40K army xD

I just feel a bit sorry for anybody new to the hobby looking to put together a whole army without using ebay or some other cheaper method...

Speaking of ebay...one nice bonus to this is that for ex-compulsive army buyers like me, having storage boxes full of 2000-3000point un-built armies or OOP models feels like having my very own little investment of stock, that I will one day cash in on! xD
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2012 - 11:44

Yeah, I agree there - getting in is more expensive, particularly if you're unsure of what you're buying and so you're picking your troops less efficiently. Still, I find, even starting a new army, with some patience... well... buying it in 250-500 point increments and then painting it before I buy something else, its far more affordable than playing video games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Stronzo
Warlord
Warlord
Stronzo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2012 - 12:17

Wayland celebrates the price rise by giving a pretty good discount on the relevant items.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   G.W. Price Increases Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

G.W. Price Increases
Page 1 of 1