Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My first terrain

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

Trading Reputation : 0

terrain - My first terrain Empty
PostSubject: My first terrain   terrain - My first terrain Icon_minitimeWed 23 May 2012 - 3:02

My buddy complained that we didn't have enough terrain, so I went to the thrift store and picked up some kitch: a cherub statue and a couple of those porcelin light-up house for $7. Another $30 in materials and many hours later...

I'm really happy with how the house turned out, but I found out that porcelin is a pain to work with. It doesn't break in any predictable way, leaves sharp edges and is difficult to cut!

terrain - My first terrain 029

terrain - My first terrain 030

terrain - My first terrain 031

terrain - My first terrain 032-1

terrain - My first terrain 033

terrain - My first terrain 034

terrain - My first terrain 025

terrain - My first terrain 026

terrain - My first terrain 028

Last edited by Bean965 on Fri 25 May 2012 - 17:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: My first terrain   terrain - My first terrain Icon_minitimeWed 23 May 2012 - 3:57

NICE WORK. Hope the porcelain didn't cut your hands up! I've heard of doing terrain in this manner, but like you said, the way it breaks/cuts is finicky. Very cool! What kind of tools did you use to cut the porcelain?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: My first terrain   terrain - My first terrain Icon_minitimeWed 23 May 2012 - 4:07

Spectre76 wrote:
NICE WORK. Hope the porcelain didn't cut your hands up! I've heard of doing terrain in this manner, but like you said, the way it breaks/cuts is finicky. Very cool! What kind of tools did you use to cut the porcelain?

I found I COULDN'T cut it, not even with the $15 masonry/pottery cutter I bought for my dremel. I strategically smashed it apart with a hammer then glued it back together. My dremel grinding stones/engraving bits smoothed the sharp edges off nicely, though.

It's kind of an interesting process, b/c you can influence where it breaks, but not control it, so you have to just go with the flow as far as how the final building will look like in terms of "comet damage."

You have to be okay with rubble that doesn't look exactly right. I found I was okay with that b/c I find that the traditional look for Morheim scenery is "fantasy-damaged" - real buildings don't break apart in a way that would result in buildings that look like Mordheim buildings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first terrain   terrain - My first terrain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first terrain
Page 1 of 1