Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

Trading Reputation : 0

HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture Empty
PostSubject: HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture   HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture Icon_minitimeSat 5 May 2012 - 20:38

I'm working on my first terrain. I thought I'd hit on a great source for modding - porcelin xmas buildings at my local thrift store - but it turns out that porcelin is a bit of a nightmare to work with. I'll bet someone from here already figured that out...

Anyway, on to my question. Since they are xmas buildings they have snow molded onto the roof. santa

I'd like to make that snow look like ash that's accumulated there.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea for a material i could flock them with that, once painted, would look like ash. Sawdust?

Picture(s) of a similar effect would be SUPER helpful, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture   HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture Icon_minitimeSat 5 May 2012 - 21:38

I'd try paint mixed with bicarbonate of soda from the supermarket myself. Simply put some into the paint you're using - which will be some shade of grey, I imagine - and thin to taste.

OK, it's not ash, but this mixture will end up with a fine-grained texture like the base of this >

HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture BAshouse

Household texture paint is another option for the lazy. You can get sample pots at DIY stores.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture   HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture Icon_minitimeSat 5 May 2012 - 21:49

Also depending on the texture of the snow on the porcelain building you might just be able to paint that to an ash color since ash drifts kind of like snow when there's a lot of it. If you want to be more picky than baking soda (excellent choice) or sand texture paint, very fine sawdust (from something toxic like MDF) or a fine sand would do nicely.

It may just be age talking, but I seem to remember something from model railroading that would do for ash.
Back to top Go down
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

PostSubject: Re: HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture   HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture Icon_minitimeSat 5 May 2012 - 22:44

Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture   HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP - advice/pictures on getting an ash-like texture
Page 1 of 1